The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #241
SamIam

The entire thing continues to make me feel totally enraged. Why should we pay billions of dollars to not only bail out incompetent CEO's, but even give them golden parachutes which allow them to bail out of the mess they created and live like the Saudi royalty? Meanwhile, children living in poverty go without medical care and decent schools that might give them a chance in life? I am so mad and fed up over all of it.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #242
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

SamIam, Blame the fiscal branch of Gov't.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #243
SamIam

What fiscal branch? It was our wonderful congress that voted for the bailout. The excutive branch in the form of lame duck Dubya signed off on it. No doubt if they had a chance, the judicial branch in the form of the Supreme Court would have corporate welfare become the law of the land. Oh, grrrrrrrr!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #244
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
SamIam, Blame the fiscal branch of Gov't.
I believe the hint was missed.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #245
classicman

thanks merc.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:45 PM   #246
classicman

Quote:
Ed Lazear, chairman of President George W. Bush's Council of Economic Advisers, defended the implementation of the rescue plan at a press conference Thursday. He noted there is little hard evidence that banks are not appropriately using federal funds. "We have to make sure that banks have the appropriate flexibility to do those things that will get credit markets going," Mr. Lazear said.
Uh no sir, THAT'S HOW WE GOT INTO THIS MESS IN THE FIRST PLACE
From here
Quote:
U.S. lawmakers are considering steps to alter the terms of the Treasury Department's financial-rescue plan, including forcing banks to lend funds they've received from the government and imposing new limits on executive compensation at firms that are part of the program.
Good Idea

Quote:
"The goal seems to be changing every single day," Mr. Sanders said. "Are we comfortable that a handful of bankers are literally alone in a room deciding which banks get what?"
Someone tell me this is NOT whats going on..... please.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #247
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

This is not what's going on.

Is that better?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #248
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

More convincingly, please.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #249
classicman

Maybe if you put it in bold, underlined or italics.
Yeh - that might help
Old 10-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #250
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Sorry; just listened to National Public Radio. This is what's going on.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #251
classicman

Fucking congress - Seems like all those elections flew under the radar too. I think they may be more important too.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:45 PM   #252
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Fucking congress - Seems like all those elections flew under the radar too. I think they may be more important too.
Congress is the election process to be keeping an eye on. It matters not who gets elected president anymore. I don't prefer Obama or McCain, but with a supermajority in Congress things could get ugly. I don't trust them anymore than I trust a supermajority by the Repubs. We have already seen what that gave us, and yet somehow we have pervasive mindset that a swing of the pendulum in the other direction is acceptable. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:59 AM   #253
Griff
still says videotape

Unbefuckingbelievable.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #254
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Another GM money game to avoid bankruptcy was 0% financing and car leasing. GM constantly sought profit sources to mask a line of crappy cars. GMAC, for example, could reap profits from a government subsidized housing market. GMAC then would sell a GM car by lower its price using 0% financing, etc. Then GMAC would suffer losses many years later. No problem. Bean counters only think in terms of years - not decades.

During the 2000 decade, GM cars were still crap. So GM did another deal for money. They sold half of GMAC to Cerberus Capitial (who also bought Chrysler).

An MBA named Nardelli was running Home Depot slowly into the ground. So they gave Nardelli $200million to leave. Nardelli is now running Chrysler into the ground.

GM and Chrysler decided to merge (as if economies of scale mean higher profits - a myth taught to business school graduates). No problem. Exchange stock and merger done. However both GM and Cerberus own companies that make crappy products, do not innovate, and both own GMAC. Eventually the housing market could no longer coverup 0% financing. So GM and Cerberus Capital Management ran to government for another $10billion.

GM is worth about $5billion. Chrysler is worth maybe $0.5billion. So government will give them $10billion to merge? Since avoiding bankruptcy in 1991 by playing money games (ie stop funding the pension funds), GM has long needed bankruptcy to fix GM's only problem.

Last GM cash cow (without $billions from government welfare - TARP) is slowly going belly up. Another victim of GM that did not face bankruptcy early one. From the NY Times : [quote]Deteriorating Home Market Puts GMAC Unit at Risk
GMAC, the finance company partly owned by General Motors, lost $2.52 billion in the third quarter, hurt by the housing slump and write-downs on vehicle leases, and said Wednesday that its mortgage unit, one of the nation’s largest home loan providers, might not survive.

The loss, GMAC’s fifth consecutive quarterly decline, compared with a loss of $1.6 billion in the period a year earlier and brought GMAC’s losses since the middle of 2007 to $7.9 billion. ...

The finance company’s results will hurt G.M., which still owns 49 percent of GMAC after selling the rest in 2006 to the private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management. G.M. will report its earnings on Friday.[\QUOTE] Give GM credit. They sold much of GMAC to an even more foolish Cerberus Capital just before GMAC was no longer useful for money games. GM is excellent at these money games. Has GM run out of places to steal money? Will GM finally fix their only problem - Rick Wagoner? Bankruptcy early enough means few or no employee job losses, replacing finance people with product people, and innovation.

Chambers of Cisco is known for his rosy projections. Chambers today issued a very negative economic outlook. Cisco October sales decreased 9%. This downturn in a company that is productive, innovative, and therefore patriotic American. Few other companies have announced projections. Can GM coverup massive losses again this Friday when they announce earnings? Or are economic forces finally taking revenge for George Jr's economy based on lies, deceit, and money games?

Crappy products and innovation (maybe White House lawyers also rewrote those innovations) are finally appearing on the spread sheets. How honest will those spread sheet be? Friday will be a very bad market day if the spread sheets are honest. Then GM will use those reports are an excuse to beg for more corporate welfare.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #255
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Unbefuckingbelievable.
Care to expound on that thought process? Specifically to what?