The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #2536
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

ONE MORE HOUR.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #2537
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

How long now?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #2538
Treasenuak
Multiorgasmic and wrapped in plastic

HA! The job offer in Hawaii has gotten BETTER (from $13/hr to $20/hr) and I have extra time here in the states before I go to get things wrapped up/see all my friends one last time (again) before we leave. YAY!!
Treasenuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #2539
Pie
Gone and done

Good on you, Treas!
So, when can I come visit you in HI?
Old 10-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #2540
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Wow, $13 to $20 is a hell of a lot better! Congrats!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #2541
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Just got back from the most wonderful night, awesome date with my amazing boyfriend. We just passed nine months together, and he still makes me feel special.

I like him lots ....I think I'll keep him
Old 10-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #2542
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Good for you Razz!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #2543
Treasenuak
Multiorgasmic and wrapped in plastic

Thank you, Pie and Clod! I will be in Hawaii right around Halloween... so given time to settle in and actually get some furniture, you can come down for Thanksgiving, Pie... that'll be my daughter's birthday too
Treasenuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #2544
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

A good day:
I pruned and sprayed the roses, tidied the garden, bought groceries, and went furniture shopping. I got a queen-sized bed, very strong and solid in excellent condition, for $350, a Queen Anne style wardrobe (that excellently matches the dressing table I got for free from my landlady) which wants a little repair for $100, a groovy-chunky old desk for $150, with a $40 bookcase and nice but paint-stained carpet, the latter two thrown in for free, all delivered.
Assembling the bed was a bit of an exercise, especially because my el cheapo toolkit doesn't have a 17mm spanner, and the 17mm socket wouldn't reach all the way down the bolt to the nut. But it is done now.
Now I just need a mattress.
and a desk chair.
and a dining suite.
and some tables and lamps and stuff.
and bedding, a big carpet, some plants, a bunch more kitchen stuff, a home theater system ...

And ... Shawnee is FREE! What are the odds she posts here drunk?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #2545
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I just watched Heroes. I am lovin this season! Really picked it up and threw it somewhere I wasn't expecting.
Hi. I'm the panic and clamour, currently locked behind a door marked "do not enter until morning"
Oh, and *does the happy dance* It's only the third debate tonight! Oh yes. I think so. I got it all planned out. Gonna have my bath and go to bed and study/read til 2 am and then watch the debate on my little portable upstairs. It's a bit of a wavy picture, but I don't mind. There's something kind of nice about watching stuff on a crackly little portable late at night. Like stepping back into my bedroom as a kid...
At some point I'll be let out again and we can dance around the topic of how badly this dissertation could potentially, possibly, probably, almost certainly...go? *squeaks*
Of course that kid would recoil in dismay and confusion at what I plan to watch tonight and would much rather be watching some blood curdling Hammer horror. So I'll leave her where she is in 1982 and get back to where I was...where was I? Oh sorry yes...

There's so much stuff. So many fucking words, all lined up in rank, on rank, on field, on plain, far on into the horizon
In bed watching the debate in the small hours of the morning, with a steaming mug of Horlicks and some honey on toast.
This Catherine wheel of ideas has to stop soon, will there be anything left? Winnowed down to a worthwhile something, or just scatterd worthless husks?
I don't have to be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow [who's Dawn?] so I can be a little frivolous. I must must make mysel go straight to sleep after the debate and not to fight sleep if I start to go halfway through.
It's all too much. The dissertations on the library system are sooo good. Any second now someone's going to cotton on to just how much I wing it...just how many lucky breaks gointo the marks...
So...yeah...'s all pretty groovy really.
Dana - STOP PROCRARSE-TINATING!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:40 AM   #2546
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Okay - hot on the heels of booking my night of horror with Jeremy Dyson, it turns out I am seeing another two members of The League this week.

Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith have written a new series for the BBC called Psychoville (the name given to The League of Gentlemen's previous series when it was shown in Japan). It's filming at the moment. And they put a call out for extras to appear as a pantomime audience for a scene.

AND I HAVE A TICKET!
Not only do I get to see them (they'll be there even if they are not in that clip) but I'm actually helping them out. And doing some acting. In a sitting down kind of way.

I am so excited, I feel like a champagne bottle which has been shaeken up. Although that might be acid reflux. Honestly, I've been sitting here with my hands over my face just wriggling with delight. I've been so spoilt recently.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:20 AM   #2547
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

That's great Sundae! and at acid reflux!

Dana, I promise you, almost every one in academia feels that way ... I'm winging it, I'll be exposed any day now... relax. By the time you're done, you'll know more about your particular fields than almost everyone.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #2548
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Lovely, lovely
The temperature is lovely

It's technically on the cold side, at 17 (62.5) because the optimum working temp for offices is given at 18-20 (64.5-68) but I'm really happy. I have the front door closed, and the reception window closed, so I can't be accused of forcing anyone else to endure it - they can put the heater on if they want...

In fact it's my new desk clock that's making me happy. because I love being able to guage the temperature. They think I have a screwy internal thermostat - I know I'm quite accurate in that I'll feel the same at the same temperature.

Anyway, that's all, thnak you.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #2549
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I'm going to driving school today! That should be fun. We're using rental cars.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:17 AM   #2550
glatt

Cool. What kind of driving school?

I had a friend who went to a spy driving school. He learned how to run cars off the road, do those high speed reversing direction turns, and things like that.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote