The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

View Poll Results: Do you support saving the US auto companies with tax payer money?
I support saving any one or all of them. 1 3.13%
I support assisting them for a limited time with a limited amount. 11 34.38%
I don't support saving them. 19 59.38%
I have another plan to save them from certain death (explain below) 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #271
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Where are these numbers that GM makes more fuel efficient cars than anyone else? I ran those numbers. I don't see it. I see that GM's...
I was just replying to someone else tw. I don't actually believe that either.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #272
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
They not only underfunded the pension plans a lot of what they did fund was invested in GM stock.
I forgot about that one. Yes, they did that too. But I never knew how much.

Will never forget sitting in a GM lobby alongside a president of one of their part suppliers. He said sarcastically, "They will show me how I can cut my costs." GM's solution to 30 years of bad designs. Blame suppliers, unions, Japanese ...

They also played money games. Waiting 120 days to pay us. And still some believed their lies about 19 models exceeding 30 MPG. After all, they said it on TV.

Anyone who bough a GM car simply endorsed lying and creative accounting.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #273
lookout123
changed his status to single

or they needed a car and didn't really give a damn about who lied or how they kept their books.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #274
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
or they needed a car and didn't really give a damn about who lied or how they kept their books.
Sounds like an extremist.

Meanwhile, Pontiac is now officially on the block. A reality that was obvious even in early December last year:
Wagoner blames it all on the Economy!

Enron accounting is alive and well. How may $millions was Rick Wagoner's severance pay for doing to GM what Nardelli did to Home Depot, Fiorina did to HP, Akers did to IBM, Spindler and Sculley did to Apple, ...
Old 04-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #275
lookout123
changed his status to single

Are you really so foolish to believe that more than a relative handful of consumers care about the financial strength or the management of the company that made the product they want? Not caring doesn't make someone an extremist but seeing everyone other than yourself as an extremist might qualify you as insane. They want what they want and that pretty much is the end of the story. Personally I wouldn't want a GM product but I see a lot of them on the road so someone must want them.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:36 AM   #276
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I really love my Chevy truck, but I just found out today I can get a new Azure convertible for only $15,000 down and $4250 for 84 months.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #277
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Before you sign on that be sure to check Bentley's financials. They might be anti-American! Or... anti-Brit, or anti-Europe, or whatever!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #278
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Before you sign on that be sure to check Bentley's financials.
What does Bentley have to do with buying GM products to destroy American jobs?

I don't want to kill anyone. So after running 300 stop signs, I killed someone. But I did not want to? Is that your reasoning?

You buy a GM product to destroy America. You buy better products - the free market - to advance America and mankind.

In 1979, enough Americans got so patriotic as to stop buying Chrysler products. That saved Chrysler. In 1981, enough were patriotic as to stop buying Ford products. That saved Ford Motor. For more of the past 30 years, no innovation appeared in any GM product unless required by government regulation. Some so want that to continue as to let GM propaganda pervert that reality.

It was called the "Heart Attack of America" for good and indisputable reasons - some posted earlier (ie blame unions for two extra pistons in every vehicle). Real shame is why so many Americans must now lose their jobs. A problem that could have been averted decades ago if so many Americans had stopped buying obviously inferior products.

The worst of these Americans still foolishly promote "Buy American". A perfect example of propaganda that encourages the destruction of more Americans jobs.

You can say they don't want to destroy American jobs - just like I can say I do not want to kill anyone.

One bought GM products to destroy American jobs.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #279
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Are you really so foolish to believe that more than a relative handful of consumers care about the financial strength or the management of the company that made the product they want?
MBA school propaganda again. Long before financials say anything, the product has long been crap. Only bean counters would confuse what was posted with business school myths about 'consumers caring about the financial strength'.

Read Consumer Reports to see what the financials would be reporting four and ten years later. Read what Mary Ann Keller was writing in the Wall Street Journal so accurately that GM banned her from interviewing any GM employees. Read what the LA Times made obvious years ago - so GM took revenge. Or read the so many reports from Michelle Maynard.

Or see obvious numbers such as 70 horsepower per liter - a problem defined by GMs power train executive Heimbuch in 1990. "the payoff is being able to make the engine, transmission, and structure smaller to improve the car's efficiency". Instead, GM put even bigger engines with same low performance, pollution, and low gas mileage in even larger vehicles so that the same obsolete technology continued to be sold. Then bought Congressman to stop government from requiring innovation. This has been especially obvious the last eight years when everyone knows a president routinely stifled innovation.

While GM was still making 48 and 52 Hp/liter engines, Honda was testing the 100 hp/liter engine. We documented here some four(?) years ago that GMs were still doing only 52 Hp/liter.

Anyone could see how crappy GM product were ten and twenty years ago. You would foolishly discuss financials? Only a fool would promote such myths as if "Buy American" was good.

When the financials finally reflected reality, that company should have been confronting bankruptcy. How curious. GM was only four hours away from bankruptcy in 1991. Their products were that bad that long ago. Did GM make anything better since then? Obviously not. So GM then shorted the pension funds. And some Americans said that also was good - and bought more crap. "Good", they said. "Screw the workers."

Are you so foolish as to believe a product today is measured by the financials today? Only corrupt bean-counter types make that conclusion. GM's financials today are about how bad their products were four and ten years ago when so many Americans were saying “keep making crap”. Today’s GM (and Chrysler) products are even worse.

They encouraged GM management to play more money games so that every month, more GM employees must lose their jobs four and ten years later. Large parts of America so hated America as to still buy Chevys - with 1968 technology engines – and call themselves patriots. And then be so much more hateful as to blame the unions.

It really is simple. Forget the financials that report problems four and ten years later. Why would anyone buy an inferior product? The financial don't yet report how bad that product currently is. The real patriot instead believes in the free market - buy the best. Responsible analysis, news, and technical numbers have long demonstrated why a fool or one who hated America would buy a GM product. Financials only confirm what was obvious years ago.

Last edited by tw; 04-25-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:32 AM   #280
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're letting the bullshit seep in again, tw. And you were doing so well. sigh
Old 04-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #281
tw

We vote for who runs the economy in what we buy. Rick Wagoner - who never once ran a successful operation but was made GM's CEO anyway - remained there because so many Americans voted for him to stay. They bought GM crap saying, "Keep making this crap." Finally Obama had to do what neither the customers, stockholders, or BoDs would. But somehow that reality is bullshit?
Old 04-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #282
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Then why didn't you buy the best car made?
Old 04-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #283
tw

Quote:
Then why didn't you buy the best car made?
There is no "best car made". But there are cars made by people who innovate - also called patriotic Americans. Opposed to products designed by bean counters that routinely stifle innovation. Buy a GM car to stifle innovation - then blame everyone else. Say, "GM has stifled innovation for 30 years, makes crappy cars, and I love to contribute to the destruction of American jobs. I will buy more crap from people who even lie about their gasoline mileage." Drive one to realize how bad GM management has been - even so evil as to blame the unions.

GM management would not innovate until required by Federal regulations. There are good products. Then there are GM products that obviously destroy American jobs. Can only be sold using the "Buy American" myth. A myth that can only exist when one does not believe in the free market. One need only drive GM cars or view Consumer Reports to realize why a GM product means the destruction of American jobs and subverts principles that make free markets so productive.

So many have so hated America (bought a GM product four and ten years ago) that jobs must now be lost AND parts of America must be sold to foreigner to pay for the resulting debts.

There are plenty of good cars. Why did anyone then buy a GM product? Like it or not, realize it or not; job losses today are due to those who so hated Americans as to buy GM products.

How to put Americans back to work. Buy Honda or Toyota. Then American part suppliers can learn to and make more and better parts - become profitable again. Just another example of why free markets work; why "Buy American" does not.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #284
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh, so Nissan, the Koreans and Europeans are out.

The problem of GM's mismanagement has been well documented, especially of late. But what you're telling me is to buy a car that will be patriotic, that you approve of, rather than one that suits my wants and needs, like most people do.
Don't think that's going to set well with most people. Neither is calling them wackos, wingnuts or unpatriotic for doing so. Nope, you lose.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #285
tw

Quote:
But what you're telling me is to buy a car that will be patriotic, that you approve of, rather than one that suits my wants and needs, like most people do.
I'm not telling you to do anything. But if you were patriotic, then you knew any 1990 or 2000 GM car was clearly destroying American jobs just by how it drives, its grossly oversized and noisy engine, excessive price and repair costs, its low gas mileage, its management repeatedly running to government to stop any requirements for innovation, ....

It's not proven as of late that GM management was bad. Anyone with respect for America knew that decades ago. It was that obvious that long ago. But then all one need do is drive a Pontiac or see so many neighbors with problems to know that buying a GM car even in the 1990s would only destroy American jobs. Again, simple principles of free market economics.

I am not telling you to do anything. Basic knowledge said you were only undermining America by purchasing the obviously inferior products. Good Americans believe in the free market. Ignorant Americans are told what to do by their 'communist' handlers: "Buy American" only because we say so. Subvert innovation and destroy American jobs. It was your choice - not mine.

Meanwhile, you invented this Nissan, Europeans, and Koreans are out. I did not say that. You did. But again. Your choice. Do you believe in the free market or do what communists and bad management want you to do - "Blindly buy American" only because they tell you to.

The patriot always bought the best. Therefore voted to advance America. Those are people who make American great.