The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #16
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

Flint, being in IT support myself, half of me agrees with what you just said, and the other half is in complete agreement with the first half.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #17
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

But, Flint, what if I do this or this, or this? Would that work? Couldn't I just do something like this? If I do what you say, but right in the middle, a truck plows into the building, what should I do then? I'm a bat - are you a bat? My name is Sniffles....

Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 AM   #18
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Flint, do you ask inane questions about, say, finance or health care? What sorts of answers do you get? Just wonderin'.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #19
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
…If you complain about the customers and treat them in a condescending manner…
I don't. That’s why I’m anonymously blowing off steam on an internet forum.

This has taken on a very blown-out-of-proportion aspect. I appreciate all the well-meaning advice; but I suppose none of this makes much sense without more detail as to what actually happened, how it was eventually resolved, and what were the intervening steps that took place. At the end of the day, Management glowingly congratulated me for being a great problem solver. Believe me, you wouldn’t know whether to laugh or cry...

IT WASN'T PLUGGED IN.

Quote:
But, Flint, what if I do this or this, or this? Would that work? Couldn't I just do something like this?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #20
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Is it plugged in? Many times that is problem.

I get it, Flint. At my previous job, I was a lead for a support organization where the support team called me for help in solving software problems. I remember one problem taking 4 different explanations on 4 different occasions to the same person about the same problem before she got it. These were our support people. Arg.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #21
mbpark
Lecturer

One other thing...

Flint,

I do have to deal with the tough cases too. However, I will say this much.

Non-IT people are incredibly appreciative toward our work. The IT and somewhat technical people aren't.

I've had more problems in the past few years with IT staff than I have with the non-technical users. The non-technical users know how to read a manual and follow it exactly (and I write my documentation the Army way - aka assume any grunt will have to pick it up and read it, and use screenshots for every page).
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:00 PM   #22
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

Just tell them it's an "eye dee ten tee" error. That'll fix 'em.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #23
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I've done that, mb...all my processes are spelled out in a book I made, complete with screen shots. My theory is if I get hit by the proverbial bus someone should be able to work through it. I am the only one who has done that. I'm sure much of that persistence in documentation comes from my days in government contracts electronics (tech and QA.)

And you bring up an interesting point. I'm one of those who loves to solve my own problems. I hate asking for help to a fault (I am known for hating to delegate) but I love having a decent guide so I can work through as much as possible. At the other end of the spectrum are those who would rather stare at you blankly while you plug in the computer FOR them.

I wouldn't dare mess with anything really complicated that we need IT for, but I do know cursory troubleshooting so my loose cable doesn't call them away from keeping the college wide system running or the myriad of other duties they have. I've heard the stories; one guy wanted to know how to rewind the DVD (faculty.)

Finally, I think our IT dept does a wonderful job. They have been hit lately with the politicizing and micromanaging (my post about hiring someone who looks good on paper etc but is a real numnut fits here) and that has hampered, not helped, their performance. But they are still very knowledgeable and helpful people. I try very hard not to be one of "those" with the blank look and unplugged computer. It's a pride thing (and my "I can do it myself" attitude that I"ve had since birth.) The guy who used to service my Dept of Ed software and electronic mailboxes loved me after I took the previous person's position; she called him about every day. He rarely saw me except for upgrades and if we ran into each other in the bars.