The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-03-2003, 08:57 AM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

At the Walnut, Peter Gabriel was wearing this neon double breasted zoot suit/cape thingy and sort of floated across the stage in 2 feet of fog under a blacklight spot. Or maybe it was the mushrooms.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:53 AM   #17
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The Lamb was Gabriel's highest theatric achievement. Mostly in character as Rael in a black leather jacket (http://www.areacom.it/arte_cultura/f...750202GR/2.jpg), he also had a killer costume as the Slipperman (http://www.areacom.it/arte_cultura/f...TS/BIRTHSL.JPG ), and his consumption by the Lamia ( http://www.areacom.it/arte_cultura/fos/PICTS/Lamia.JPG ) .

In addition, the projection screen content was awesome...

Last edited by Elspode; 07-03-2003 at 12:05 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:00 PM   #18
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Maybe with all the theatrics it would be more clear what the damn story is about.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:08 PM   #19
Elspode

Summary of The Lamb (as interpreted by my eroding mind over the years):

NYC street punk is mysteriously transported to an underground world and undergoes a transformation of mythological proportions resulting in his rebirth as...someone or something else.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:15 PM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

OK, maybe with the mushrooms.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:38 PM   #21
warch
lurkin old school

NYC street punk is mysteriously transported to an underground world and undergoes a transformation of mythological proportions resulting in his rebirth as...someone or something else.

An updated Horatio Alger!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:38 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's like sex...don't analyze...just experience and enjoy.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:51 PM   #23
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

At the Tower: Pink Floyd (Meddle tour), Frank Zappa (third row center....amazing) Todd Rundgren at the Tower and also with Utopia at TUMFI....and at Wisconsin Dells

Pink Floyd (Dark Side tour), at the Spectrum...

They don't make them like that anymore.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 12:01 PM   #24
arz
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Technology has made live shows sound like the CD the artist is promoting. I like music to sound live, not like a rehash of the studio. Too much sampling, sequencing and (especially) digital correction kills the live buzz for me.

I tend to see acts in smaller venues (1500 people or less) or I go to "old favorites" when I can justify the cost. My favorite guy is probably Neil Finn, formerly of Split Enz and Crowded House. There's nothing sampled or sequenced about him; what yo hear is what is being played. I just a month or so ago saw Peter Gabriel for the first time in 20 years. His winter tour was too expensive for me to justify it ($130 a seat) but this stripped down summer tour is more up my alley musically and stage-presentation-wise and the $60 price tag was doable.

My big beef are live DVDs/CDs that aren't live at all. Pretty much any major music act re-records a "live" concert for release as a CD. McCartney's recent "Back in the US" DVD has at least a bass overdub on "Band on the Run" (a song Macca plays bass on, the bastard) and if they did THAT they probably did a bunch of other stuff, too.

U2 is one of the worst offenders in this regard. "Rattle and Hum" was completely re-recorded except for the drums apparently. Lord knows what they did for the "Boston Elevation Tour 2001" DVD.
arz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 01:59 PM   #25
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

My concert experiences have never been normal. There was NIN, NIN, and NIN.

The NIN/Bowie concert was great. Mosh til you drop, then Bowie and Trent traded a few songs as a segue. It was cool hearing Bowie sing Reptile, and Hurt. [aside:I like Johnny Cash's version of Hurt. Mr. Cash can make anything sound very, very cool.]

So at the end of Hurt, Trent is playing a bit of Saxaphone, and Bowie slowly walks toward him. It was relatively quiet, and my brother pipes up: "God, if they kiss, I'm gonna leave!" I stopped, dropped, and rolled away from him in the crowd. The Bowie show after that was great.

P.S. I saw Primus and U2 a few times. Reverend Horton Heat, James McMurty, and Tori Amos were in smaller venues.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:10 PM   #26
Elspode

I saw Tori a few years ago. She's amazing. I've never been to a concert where people were actually 'shushing' each other before.

In fact, it was a weird concert experience in a couple of different ways. First off, *no one* was smoking dope, and people were asking other people to put out cigarettes (this in a venue where smoking was not illegal). Also, my wife and I were among the six or seven oldest people in a crowd of about 1500. There was another couple across the way that appeared to be in their fifties (she was 36, I was 42 at the time), and one woman who may well have been 70.

It was actually a rather disorienting concert experience for me. More like a Philharmonic performance than a contemporary popular singer/songwriter show.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:46 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Who Quadrophenia Tour
Old 07-08-2003, 07:35 PM   #28
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Re: Concerts of the past vs. concerts of the present.

Quote:
Originally posted by toadlicker80
I was born after Woodstock, but my guess is that concert experiences during that time must have been quite a bit different than they are now. Do you think live music is something that will eventually be phased out, or do you enjoy going to concerts? How do you think our live performers of today compare to live shows of the 60s and 70s?
IMO, live music will never go out of style. I do enjoy a good live show. Best show (on a large scale): A toss up btwn Depeche Mode (any of the 4 times I've seen them), and Prince when he made his triumphant return to Baltimore in 1997 (and I met him at his afterparty!!!).

On a smaller scale (venue-wise) gotta give props to the good Reverend Horton Heat in 2000 at the 9:30 Club in DC.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:47 AM   #29
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Possibly the strangest venue where I ever attended a concert was Norristown State Hospital (no, this was not just a detailed audio-visual hallucination) ... every year they do a Noyes Foundation sponsored concert to raise money for schizophrenia research.

The first year they did this, the act was Ladysmith Black Mambazo, the acapella group. I've loved their music for many years, and it was very exciting to be able to get to see them.

I know the guy who runs the research unit who put together the concert. He made certain that I was able to get a chance to meet the fellows, who were quite gracious. Apparently they are very involved with a hospital in South Africa that provides psychiatric care, and they spent the day prior to their show at the state hospital visiting with the patients.

Classy.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:59 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Harv saw them all and look what happened to him.:p

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:07 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote