Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #16
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I just hope the count doesn't get dragged out for days with one candidate winner of the popular vote and the other one winning in the electoral college. I think the next 4 years are going to be bitter enough as it is.
Yes, please Deity of Your Choice: Please, for the love of You, make this stop!
I can't handle it anymore. MY 'mute' button is worn out.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #17
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

The League of Woman Voters once published a paper ballot with all candidates names and other propositions printed as they appear on the ballot (or machine). So that you could study the ballot and investigate propositions before entering the booth. Today, many only hear of propositions for the first time when they cast their ballot.

This is particularly difficult in California where many rich people have paid to have propositions put on the CA ballots. Voting takes longer. Californians must vote on at least 40 propositions. Most were never heard of until they vote. Some are worded to be deceptive because rich people can now pay to have propositions on that ballot.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #18
glatt

Don't know about your location, but here there is always a rep from each party passing out sample ballots showing how they want you to vote. So at a minimum, you can see what the different parties want. I'll usually take a sample ballot from each just to confirm my understanding of what the different issues mean.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #19
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
This is cute: 'In pictures: Obama and Romney through the years'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20075984
That was sweet, Dana, thanks.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
5 to 5 in dixville notch

Obama 23
Romney 9
Johnson 1
in harts location
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #21
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I was pretty sleepy when I posted that, from my phone. In bed. Good to have your independent confirmation.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
SamIam

Right now, Obama has a slight lead in the Colorado polls.

There are also two ballot measures before Colorado voters that are as important to me (and ultimately, to the US as a whole) as the presidential race. The first is to treat the sale of marijuana just like the sale of alcohol. We already have legalized medical marijuana here, and it makes sense to just allow the sale of it to all people over 21and get some badly needed tax revenues. It has always been silly to treat pot as it were some awful street drug like crystal meth or crack cocaine. Legalize pot, make some money from it, and free up the courts and law enforcement to deal with actual problems.

The second ballot measure actually gives me some hope for this bizarre state which includes every nut group from Focus on the Family to the People’s Republic of Boulder. The Colorado people are fighting back against the Supreme Court and its ruling on the Citizen’s campaign contributions case. Corporations are NOT people! Vote YES on 65, Colorado!

Only two states are being given a chance to vote to amend the constitution and throw Citizens’ out the door. The other state where this question has been put up for a vote is Montana. Let’s hear it for the WILD WEST! GO MONTANA! GO COLORADO!

Ahem… Here’s the text of 65 as it reads on the Colorado ballot:

Quote:
Shall there be amendments to the Colorado constitution and the Colorado revised statutes concerning support by Colorado’s legislative representatives for a federal constitutional amendment to limit campaign contributions and spending, and, in connection therewith, instructing Colorado’s congressional delegation to propose and support, and the members of Colorado’s state legislature to ratify, an amendment to the United States constitution that allows congress and the states to limit campaign contributions and spending?
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #23
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon View Post
I already voted. I voted Libertarian Gary Johnson for President. YEAH!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
Splitting the conservative vote is OK in the primaries, but in the final elections, it's a very poor idea.

In the past, it's actually cost us some important elections. (I like Gary J very much, but no third party candidate for President has ever had a chance to win, going back 100 years +).
I'm still not sure why conservatives think libertarians are "their" voters. My choice was between Johnson and Obama. Johnson's better on foreign policy and civil liberties. Obama's better on social safety net, beating Mitt, and the message vote that its country before party which the GOP House doesn't understand.