The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Here are a few basic ideas.....
* Use cornstarch instead of buying expensive baby powder.
* Tear dryer sheets in half (works just as well as using a whole sheet).
* Hang clothes to dry instead of using the dryer. If you can't have a clothes line in your backyard or live in an apartment or condo, hand clothes in the showers and on wooden drying racks.
* Run errands all at once (one errand after another) instead of sreading the trips out over several days. You'll use less gasoline and it's less wear and tear on your vehicle.
* Borrow books, movies, and music from the library instead of purchasing.
* Add 1 cup of vinegar to the final rinse cycle to get all remaining detergent out of your clothes.
* Turn junk mail into scrap paper.
* Reuse grocery bags as trash can bags.
* Shop at thrift stores, garage sales, and consignment stores.
* Don't subscribe to magazines - read them at the library instead.
* Buy holiday gifts when you see them on clearance throughout the year.
* Buy items after season for best prices.
* Make your own laundry detergent.
* Use a lip brush to get remaining lipstick out of a tube before throwing away.
* Do home haircuts, if possible.
* Reuse bows from presents.
* Use leftover bits of wrapping paper to wrap small presents or for decoupage projects.
* Make your own finger paints, play dough, face paint, bubbles, etc.
* Use vinegar for cleaning mirrors and windows and wipe clean with newspaper (leaves them streak free).
* Save Christmas cards you receive and use the front's as the next year's Christmas postcards OR make gift tags for the next year from the fronts.
* Save Christmas wrapping paper and shred to use in gift bags.
* Save empty glass jars with lids for mix recipe gifts or for storing things like screws, nails, etc.
* Use milk jugs and juice bottles in the freezer. Just fill them with water and stick them in the freezer - they will help fill space in the freezer (a full freezer runs more efficiently), help keep items cold in case of a power outage, and provide a source of drinking water if necessary (just let them thaw).
* Reuse coffee grinds by sprinkling them in your flower beds.
* Keep water heater set to 120 degrees.
* Turn off lights when not in use - also TV's, radios, etc.
* Unplug appliances when not in use - microwaves, toaster ovens, toasters, coffee makers, etc. (There is still an electrical current being run to them even though not in use).
* Don't let your bath water go down the drain! Use it for watering plants and flowers.
* Collect water from your a/c condensation drain for watering plants and flowers.
* Use cardboard toilet paper tubes for storing appliance cords.
* Use milk jug and juice bottle caps for paint palettes.
* Reuse tissue paper from gifts - just iron all the wrinkles out and it looks good as new. Reuse gift bags too.
* Use the linings from cereal boxes as a substitute for waxed paper.
* Sew buttons on with dental floss for extra strength.
* Place candles in the refrigerator or freezer before burning - will help them to last longer.
* Take showers instead of baths - you'll use less water.
* To save even more when taking a shower, turn on the water, get wet, turn the water off and soap up and shampoo your hair, turn the water back on and rinse.
* Rain water can also be collected for watering plants.
* Use ceiling fans and keep your a/c set to the highest comfortable setting.
* Run your dishwasher at night when rates are lower.
* Wash and dry laundry in consecutive loads all in a day. By doing this you don't give the dryer a chance to cool down and it doesn't require as much energy to heat up again for each load that needs to be dried.
* Use countertop appliances for cooking as much as possible instead of the oven. Crockpots, toaster ovens, countertop roaster ovens, etc. are cheaper to operate than the oven.
*make a weekly menu, and follow through with it, this saves the last min ideas being more expensie as well as keeps you on track for the week.

* I buy 2 litres of milk, pour 1 litre of it into an empty 2 litre milk jug. I then make up 2 litres of skim milk powder and add to full cream milk in the containers. You can't taste much difference, it lowers the fat content and saves me money!!

* I buy large cuts of meat when they are on special, then I use the remaining in several different planned meals. For example, from an extra large chicken I get a roast dinner, a chicken pie and maybe chicked fried rice.... 3 nights of meals.

* I use my own made up bread mix in the bread maker, this also forms the basis for pizza dough. Saves you heaps!!!
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #17
Jaydaan

I put a large freezer bag in my freezer and I put my vegetable scraps in there (tops of celery, carrot shavings, onion skins...) and when it's totally full I'm going to make a vegetable stock. Sometimes we don't eat our vegetables before they start to rot so I'm going to put those in there as well (before they rot, of course ). I got so sick of throwing away vegetables and I saw this tip on a cooking show. I'm also dicing up green peppers and onions (if they aren't getting used quick enough) and putting them in smaller freezer bags. Not only is this frugal, it's nice for those busy nights so I don't have to cut up veggies.

When buying shampoo, deo, etc...I always dig to the back of the shelf to see if there are any "Free--extra 25%" (for example) sized bottles. I just bought shampoo and conditioner this weekend, and the regular sized bottles were out front...the bottles with the extra free amount were at least halfway back on the shelf. With the sale prices and my coupons, I basically got a buy 1 get 1 free type deal!
Change your filter on the return vent of your heating/AC unit. Ours in on the wall in the hallway. It makes a huge difference in your bill if it's covered with dust. I change ours on the first of the month as the filters are 75 cents at Wal-Mart. You can look at it and tell if it's time to change.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #18
Jaydaan

* Don't rinse dishes or vegetables under running water.

* Make sure the condenser coils at the rear of the refrigerator to keep the refrigerator running efficiently.

* Thaw foods completely before cooking them to reduce cooking times (and energy used).

* Use the range hood to remove cooking heat - it can help reduce a/c costs.

* wash and reuse all ziploc baggies (i dont reuse ones that held raw meat.
* add shredded carrots and bread crumbs to 1 lb ground beef to expand into many servings then freeze

* make homemade face scrubs and body scrubs with sea salts and different kinds of oils

* make fire starters (in winter) by stuffing toilet paper tubes with dryer lint

* use vinegar in wash for fabric softner

* dilute shampoo - 1/4 water to shampoo

* neutralize carpet odors with baking soda

* use squeezed out lemon rinds and baking soda to clean your sink, then throw into garbage disposal to deodorize

*At the bottom of the cereal box there is normally SOME cereal left but not enough for a full bowl.... put it in a ziplock bag or tupperware bowl and mix them together for trail mix! Add raisins dried fruits small candies and nuts....

*I keep the used dryer sheets in a bag and place one or two at a time inside drawers or boxes that will be stored. It keeps things smelling fresh, and since it's been used already, it wont leave marks or damage clothes

Check out websites for coupon offers or call 1-800 numbers. I've gotten quite a few coupons and vouchers this way. Tell the companies what you like or dislike about their product.

I wash and rinse all my clothes in cold water and only use hot water for washing my white clothes.

We make our own fries instead of buying frozen. We make regular and to jazz them up we sometimes make cajun by sprinkling on the cajun seasoning when the fries come out. To keep the fries hot while you are frying a large batch, Turn the oven on a low temperature and when you take the fries out of the oil sprinkle them with your salt and seasoning and put them on a baking pan and place them in the oven to stay warm until all the fries are done and ready to serve.

To make our own Pam, an oil spritzer works great and saves money.
I bought an oil dispenser from our local kitchen store and put dish liquid in it. It controls how much comes out. (Only a drop or two) It makes it go much further.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
Jaydaan

I've heard that gas (like any liquid) expands as it heats. So I try to fill up my car in the coolest part of the day, to get more gas per gallon.

I try to run my errands in a circle thereby saving on gasoline. I fill up when it get down to 1/2 because the price seems to rise daily and this helps. I also make sure that our tires are properly inflated and that I don't carry around junk in the car that just adds weight to the car.
One thing that has helped me save money is using cash only when I go to the store. This has eliminated almost all of my impulse buys. I used to grab a lot of junk when I took my checkbook with me, but now I have to really think about buying something when I only have cash. Is it a need or a want?

When I do wash dishes in the sink, I draw the rinse water first and then fill up the other sink with wash water. That way I don't waste water while the water is warming up. I use the rinse water to water plants in my pots outdoors.

FRUIT FLY REMEDY. The best way to get rid of fruit flies is to put out a glass with an inch of apple cider vinegar and a few drops of lemon liquid dishwashing soap. The flies will die and your kitchen will be fly-free, with no dangerous or expensive pesticides. You will be amazed how quickly it works.
POTLUCK BOWL. I use empty frozen ice cream cake containers for disposable bowls. They are great for taking to potlucks or parties. Just turn them over and put the food you are packing in the bottom of the bowl-shaped lid. The flat “bottom” makes a snug-fitting top. This way you won’t have to worry about leaving your favorite bowls behind at the scene of the potluck. Just tell the host or hostess to please recycle!
CLEANING CHROME. Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol is wonderful for cleaning chrome fixtures. Spray some on a paper towel and just wipe away. Works great.
GARLIC STORAGE. Skin a whole batch of garlic and freeze in plastic bags. This gives the garlic a much longer shelf life and it can be used directly from the freezer.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #20
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Great tips Jaydaan! I practice a lot of them already, but there are a few that are new to me.
Your fruit fly remedy will be put to the test tonight. My wife has become a Fruit Fly Rancher and has about 300 head. Mostly breeding stock, it seems.

We'll see how the vinegar thing works. BRB
Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #21
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Six years ago, I was making $50k per year in salary, with 100% medical coverage and 100% reimbursement for out of pocket expenses.

Today, I am making $39k per year, with none of the above.

Thank the gods that there hasn't been any, like, increase in the prices of food or energy or credit in the interim.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #22
robsterman1
A worldly dude

Totally broke after being laid off and no new work to be had

Feels bad man
Old 07-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #23
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Thanks for all the good frugal ideas. We already do a lot of that stuff, but some I had never heard.

We are also broker than broke. Lost job back in April...now just struggling to make a cleaning business pay the bills.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #24
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

thanks, Jaydaan - lots of great ideas there.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #25
squirell nutkin

FRUIT FLY REMEDY was less than spectacular I am sorry to report.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #26
monster
I hear them call the tide

I just made a fruit fly swimming bath in my sink. (Blocked the waste disposer). I'm wondering if I can encourage a few to hold a swim/dive meet and then maybe I can nuke the buggers while they're all engaged watching the action?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #27
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

OK remedy #2. I have used this and I know it works.

Put in an inch of balsamic vinegar in a bowl. I used balsamic because my flies are gourmet.

Put a piece of plastic wrap securely over the bowl. Punch fruit fly-sized holes in the wrap with a toothpick or fork. Set out where the flies are.

They are motivated enough to get in, not talented enough to get out, and eventually drown.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #28
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Until Fruit Fly Moses parts the red vinegar.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #29
squirell nutkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
OK remedy #2. I have used this and I know it works.

Put in an inch of balsamic vinegar in a bowl. I used balsamic because my flies are gourmet.

Put a piece of plastic wrap securely over the bowl. Punch fruit fly-sized holes in the wrap with a toothpick or fork. Set out where the flies are.

They are motivated enough to get in, not talented enough to get out, and eventually drown.
OK, I'll try this. I do have some really nice balsamic-- aged in chestnut barrels and all that...
Old 07-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #30
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

A nice Bordeaux might do as well, but nothing below Troisièmes Crus.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote