The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Dunno Dag, I find Innova at two pet stores around here, but I notice they aren't the big chain pet stores but rather little boutiqu-y places.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #17
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
The bodies of my enemies.
What do you do when you run short of enemies?

Sorry, the dog/cat qualification was too late. We feed the cockatiels pellet food, or as I casually refer to it, "Purina Cockatiel Chow." (No, it's not really made by Purina.)

Although I was unpacking and opening a new bag of it last night, and we had ordered a couple other things along with it, including a new balsa wood hanging toy that they love destroying. As I was looking at it, I told Mrs. Dallas that I wasn't so sure they had given it the best name--Bird Kabob!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #18
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
My cats get Iams dry, but I'm seriously thinking of switching them over to canned. Too much carbohydrate in the dry -- cats are obligate carnivores. As an almost-diabetic myself, I'm worried about their metabolism.
Cat's systems are really interesting. I read that since cats have been domesticated for 1000's of years to be mousers, the best cat food now replicates the nutrition provided by a whole mouse (not a lot of carbs in a mouse, I guess). And they don't need to eat oranges, because a cat's body makes its own vitamin C.

I was feeding Bosco the Nutro brand dry food, but got nervous and switched to Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken. He seems to like it better, anyway. I also give him a half-can per day of California Natural canned food. And plenty of Feline Greenies cat cookies.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #19
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I've been feeding my cats Iams for 14 years. I know its crap, but they like it. The vet convinced me to buy raw meat/fish food from him because its so much better, but the cats wouldn't eat it.
They also like sardines, tuna, salmon etc. from a can, and Banzai likes alfala sprouts, asparagus, peppers, fruit...
I used to give my cats whiskas vita-bites which they loved, till my vet told me it's like giving them McDonalds every meal.

Since I changed them to better quality feed they really have had an improvement in health and I just have to say again how much more pleasant it is that their poos are smaller and less smelly. I really can't stress that enough.

We have three cats, and they all have different kinds of raw meat they like. One likes fish, the other likes ordinary meat, and the other just goes crazy for roo mince.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #20
Cloud

sorry, but cats are not domesticated animals. They just fool us into thinking that.

And . . . roo mince? You feed your cats KANGAROO?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #21
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

As long as he doesn't try to eat ME, I'll consider my kitty domesticated...enough.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #22
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Junior gets leftovers, Sausage Biscuits, hash browns, the cheapest hamburgers I can get, home fries (French Fries are his favorite) and sometimes I will raid the buffet line for him. Turkey puts him to sleep!

He also loves beef gravy over his dry dog food, whatever it is this month. I almost never give him canned dog food. Once in a while he will get at the cats' food before they do and then he eats Fancy Feast.

And he's NOT fat at all. I walk him three or four times a day (or HE walks ME) which is good for both of us. We wrestle from time to time ("Kill the doggie!") and play with his ever-present ropes. The tennis ball gets squeezed some but we can't chase it very well in the truck and there's NO WAY he's getting off the leash in a truck stop.

Brian
Old 04-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #23
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Ack, I gave my cat turkey once, and he slept for a loooong time. Poor thing tried to wake up a couple of times, but was too groggy. The next time I offered it to him, he wouldn't touch it.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:07 AM   #24
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

cloud...yep. they love it.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 AM   #25
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

We have farm cats, so they get whatever is going and whatever they find. I do give them Iams Dry food.

The Dev Rexs get some wanky expensive Dry food and *Boingo Mince*, thats 2yr old speak for Roo Mince.

The dogs get Chicken Necks (1.2kgs) and dry food (dont recall the brand)...plus scraps and they eat everything from mashed tator to peas n gravy. The local butcher always throws in some bones n offcuts when I go in, so thats their weekly treat.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #26
Cloud

you have Devon Rexes? cool!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #27
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Dry Purina. Very absolutely rarely table foods. IF they ever get table foods they only get them in their dish and at dinner time, never from the table and never from one's plate.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #28
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

My cats eat 9-lives indoor formula. And they each get a can of the wet version too when I have a chance to give it to them. When my cat Zeus was a kitten he was weaned way too early. My sister gave him to be as a birthday present and claimed he was 8 weeks old, but I am almost positive he was 4 weeks at the most. He wouldn't eat anything I gave him until I bought the iams canned food. He would eat the gravy off the top of the food and get some food with it.

I had tried several brands of kitten food and the "cat milk" they sell. None of it worked. So he got used to the wet food and once he was older he would eat dry food as well. He freaks out if I don't give him wet food every day so I just go ahead and give it to him. All of my other cats before this were fed only dry food. But I am glad I gave him the wet food because I don't think he would have survived if I hadn't.

I inherited my sisters cat, and as I can't feed just one wet food she eats it now as well. But are 9-lives brand. I was feeding them Pet Pride but they stopped eating it, but would still complain when they wanted wet food so I switched. About a month later was the pet food recall, which included pet pride wet food. ( I have fed them the 9-lives dry food [indoor formula] for over six months now.) I think my cats sensed that the food wasn't right, and I am so glad I listened!!

Edit: The reason I fed him iams when he was a kitten was it came in the small cans, so I wasn't wasting as much each time I fed him. When I got bigger I started feeding him pet pride.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
As long as he doesn't try to eat ME, I'll consider my kitty domesticated...enough.
Guess I'm not domesticated.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #30
Katkeeper
Hoodoo Guru

My 2 get Nutro and Max Cat. They are bright-eyed, healthy, and have beautiful fur and long whiskers. The vet always comments on their lustrous fur.

I am dealing with the recall by feeding them the dry Nutro, which is not on the banned list, and I have been trying to find a canned food for them to replace the canned they got in the mornings. It is a struggle so far as there is not much choice. They do not get table food and do not have snacks. Their weight is normal.
Katkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote