The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Stay away from mixed triathlons and it'll eliminate one head.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
lookout123
changed his status to single

what'll motivate me to keep going when I'm tired though? Around mile three with 23 to go, having a nice ass to run after is a necessity.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The tri-groupies at the finish line?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:58 AM   #19
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

mmm...bacon-flavored wetsuit .... mmmmmmmm
Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #20
lookout123

2.0 got out of the bathtub and promptly peed on my running shoes. while i was wearing them. and then laughed. that is all.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #21
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

A great link for anyone looking for a tri in their area... USA Triathlon
Old 04-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #22
LabRat

This past Saturday I had an opportunity to go to a 2 hour running clinic put on by Chris Reed, a USAT-certified coach from the USAT Training center in Burlington, IA.

He began by having us do a series of about 10 different dynamic stretching exercises for ~15 min. Some of the ones we did are seen in this video:
(high knee run; 2nd heel up but with high knees; toy soldier; inchworm but without the chest press at the end; spiderman, the one at 2:55)

Then we did a bunch of drills using an agility ladder. --the camera work in this video is annoying, but it shows a lot of the drills we did.

Then, he had a set of 15 stations set up that we spent a minute each at. These included 3 different jump rope ones; kettle ball lifts; 2 with a BOSU ball (1 pushups and 1 squats holding a medicine ball-- that one was tough!!); rope undulation waves (another killer one!!) a few with free weights or resistance bands; one with bands that went around your ankles that you had to then side step back and forth (killer for your glutes!); a couple with a swiss ball, and a few others I have apparently blocked from my memory.

Then we did a bunch of drills over a series of 24 speed hurdles (8-6" 8-12" and another 8-6") lined up. I tought I was going to have a heart attack after that set...

BUT WAIT!! There's more!!!

We finished by doing 3 sets of 30 sec planks, and then dolphins, which are basically plank, but then moving your butt up and down. These are what did me in.

We finished with some static streching.

For the record, I have never been this sore in my life. The only thing that doesn't hurt still today are my eyelids. His main focus was trying to get us to run more on the balls of our feet, and to this end, he had us doing a lot of high-knee and jumping exercises. My calves were rocks yesterday. The most alarming thing for me though, is that the tendons in the soles of my feet under my arches running to my heels are tender. I knew I was due for new running shoes, but this hard workout on shot shoes actually probably hurt me more than it helped me. I am supposed to do a 10K this Sunday. We'll see how this week goes.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #23
lookout123

Quote:
run more on the balls of our feet
hmmmm. You don't say...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #24
LabRat

The nice thing about feeling like my leg muscles had been replaced by razor wire was that I forgot about my shoulder, heh. Monday I swam for the first time in 2 weeks. It felt fine and is apparently is back to normal. Whew. I also bought new running shoes.

Yesterday, feeling less sore, but still not up to a run, so I did 40 min on the bike trainer while watching The Biggest Loser. Then I tried to do some crunches, but lower abs were still too sore. Plank. Invention of the devil himself.

I might, just might try to run today, since I was able to actually get out of bed and walk across the room this morning without my husband making fun of my waddle-walk. It's going to be a gorgeous day, and I hate to waste it.

Lookout, how are you doing??
Old 04-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #25
LabRat

Did 3 1/3 miles last night. Started easy then finished strong. Walked an additional mile just to stretch everything out and make sure I was OK. My legs feet and calves feel great this morning. Whew!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #26
LabRat

For my 12 miles on the moutain bike last evening I was rewarded with a georgeous sunset and my first bat sighting of the spring.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #27
LabRat

OMG. For my 3 miles running today, I was rewarded with heatstroke! I'm used to running in the 50's this time of year.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #28
lookout123

It was 104 here earlier this week.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #29
LabRat

Yabbut were you out running in it? That's 30-37 degrees higher than all of my other workouts have been...

eta: I see that the average for this time of year is 87 in Phoenix. No wonder you think I'm whiny.

Last edited by LabRat; 04-24-2009 at 02:04 PM.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #30
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

looks like an awesome workout labrat. no wonder you can bounce a quarter off your tummy. i are impressed with how hard you work.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote