The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #16
lookout123
changed his status to single

When I am confronted with self doubt I kick it square in the cunt and yell, "introspection is for commies!". That's pretty much it.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #17
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Wah, I don't mean to turn this into a pity party or anything. I mean, I'm not depressed, I'm just kind of down and frustrated. You know this feeling, probably -- you've done good things in the past, perhaps risen to a point where other people also think you're fairly good at what you do, but then it comes time to do it one more time . . . another day, another dollar, another paper to write, another day on the job, whatever it is . . . and it hits you: crap, what if I can't do it this time?

I haven't done much paying work for a while, because while in college I haven't had time to market myself. So naturally I wonder, what if I get this damn degree and nobody wants me? What if I am completely wrong about being good at what I do?

I have to write two papers for one of my classes - nothing major, 4-5 pages with a couple of sources - but I'm staring at the damn assignment sheet thinking I know NOTHING about how to write this thing.

Is it the cold medicine? Is it being tired? Am I just getting too damn old? Was I never anything special in the first place?

Of course I know I'll do it and probably get an A and think I'm the kitty's PJ's for a while thereafter. But in the meantime, I hate going through this phase and would really like to skip it.

Thoughts?
I hardly doubt that you are not special because of a temporary lapse....

Cold medicine and school performance do not mix, you are obviously sick because you are on cold medicine. Being sick does not help with schoolwork. Give yourself a break.

I know I will sound lame...but you aren't supposed to have such thoughts or considerations while you are sick. And you are on cold medicine. Not a great time to self-evaluate.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #18
monster
I hear them call the tide

Juni, invite some friends round for lunch without cleaning up first. You'll be surprised how much they don't care because that isn't what they like you for. Nothing like a bit of being liked to get you over self doubt

....and then get on with the damn paper.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #19
casimendocina
Professor

Write something...anything (mind-map form is good so it feels like a brainstorm and it doesn't have to have any particular structure), then at least you've got something to start with. Discuss it with your friends over lunch and it'll being to take shape. And if that doesn't move things along fast enough, just do other stuff and put the self-doubt on hold until panic and adrenalin kick in and this will make the paper come together because it has to be done. You've done it before, you can do it again.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimendocina View Post
...put the self-doubt on hold until panic and adrenalin kick in and this will make the paper come together because it has to be done.
Just remember, Freddy Krueger is waiting outside, and won't leave until that paper is done.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #21
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

My adivces on writer's block is to consult your sources first then make an attemped at doing the paper. Or you could stay up all night waked out on a mix of coffee and potatoes until words flow from your pen(that is how I do it)

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote