The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
glatt

Maybe he was insane, and the pot was an attempt to self medicate. Maybe the insanity caused him to steal the face right off that dude's head. Maybe the pot had nothing to do with it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Excellent tubing Classic.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Maybe he was insane, and the pot was an attempt to self medicate. Maybe the insanity caused him to steal the face right off that dude's head. Maybe the pot had nothing to do with it.
It never does...

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Oh, come on, people, when was the last time you saw a straight-up pothead do anything more violent than make a macrame wall hanging? Or develop elaborate plans for bettering the world that never get acted upon?

Crackheads, yeah. Junkies, rather less so. Meth-heads, absolutely. Bath salts, for sure. And don't forget our old friend, PCP.

Plain old weed, that's a de-initiator, not an initiator.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #21
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I remember a friend of mine going bathit crazy on ketomin and ghb. Thought the Bradford muslims were armed and preparing to launch a jihad against white people.

He got himself some guns and survival basics and locked himself in his house, wrapped in an old army blanket.
It's too bad you have to be born in the U.S. to be President. He could have beat out Romney in the Republican primary.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #22
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Pardon me, but WTF is "bath salts" slang for? Speed?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #23
Ibby
erika

its synthetic, legal, designer speed basically, yeah.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #24
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Oh, come on, people, when was the last time you saw a straight-up pothead do anything more violent than make a macrame wall hanging? Or develop elaborate plans for bettering the world that never get acted upon?

Crackheads, yeah. Junkies, rather less so. Meth-heads, absolutely. Bath salts, for sure. And don't forget our old friend, PCP.

Plain old weed, that's a de-initiator, not an initiator.
I have, but no one would (want to) believe me.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I believe you, but I also believe it wasn't because of the pot.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #26
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I would believe that someone smoked and got violent. What I wouldn't believe was that the weed was the catalyst, as opposed to that person's personality, disordered or not, and their capacity to become violent in the first place.

Which is kind of the lesson learned in the face eating case. Our narrative is to say "some drug made him do that", partly because we don't want to believe that naturally-occurring mental illness can make someone do that. We want to believe that all people act according to their choices, and that bad choices lead to bad behavior, as opposed to the other way around.

eta: ok that was what xob sed in 13 words
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #27
Ibby
erika

but on the other hand, ut, shit like meth and bath salts can induce actual psychotic episodes. sure, someone who's just plain old gentle and meek, going psychotic, will probably not be extremely violent, but they can be. I'd say a guy who'd eat somebody's face would have to be pretty fucking messed up without drugs, but i would certainly think they'd be a fairly possible, if not outright likely, factor.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #28
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yabbut on the list of 100 bad things weed can do to you, sudden violence is... not on the list.

I knew a pre-med guy who did meth in an attempt to get a 4.0 in college. He put in twice the study of his fellow students, and got close to his 4.0. But he got zero recommendations from professors - and thus, did not get into med school. Instead he went to rehab. He was otherwise a pretty good guy! I guess my point is, even with meth, which turns many people psychotic, personality makes a difference.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #29
Ibby
erika

oh yeah, WEED, totally not ever possibly no way dont believe it for a second. i was responding to
Quote:
Our narrative is to say "some drug made him do that", partly because we don't want to believe that naturally-occurring mental illness can make someone do that. We want to believe that all people act according to their choices, and that bad choices lead to bad behavior, as opposed to the other way around.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I knew a pre-med guy who did meth in an attempt to get a 4.0 in college. He put in twice the study of his fellow students, and got close to his 4.0. But he got zero recommendations from professors - and thus, did not get into med school. Instead he went to rehab. He was otherwise a pretty good guy! I guess my point is, even with meth, which turns many people psychotic, personality makes a difference.
But Tony, every expert knows meth turns you into a psychotic knife wielding father raper... within minutes. How could that dude concentrate on studies and complete college? Do you think maybe the experts only see the people doing meth that were psychotic before they did it?