The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

View Poll Results: When do you go to bed?
8pm or earlier 0 0%
9pm 1 5.56%
10pm 5 27.78%
11pm 2 11.11%
Midnight 1 5.56%
1am 2 11.11%
2am 1 5.56%
3am or later 0 0%
Varies significantly from night to night 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #16
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Reading the comments here, it would seem that the more level headed, less emotional posters have better sleep habits.

I wonder if there's anything in that.
I am no way more level-headed or less emotional than anyone who has posted here and i posted that i sleep very well.

maybe that's the disconnect.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #17
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It was mostly a joke, but clod, griff and glatt all pobsted about good.sleep habits and they were mainly the ones i was referring to.

Anyway, who cares. Its just the usual shit.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
How do you do it, though? If I ever make it to bed that early I lie there thinking about what I should be/would have been doing. I know I have to get up at 5:whatever, but it doesn't help me fall asleep any earlier. Ugh. nearly 11 again. really. Must. Go.....
My bedtime ritual is to start out reading switching to something calming, maybe some Thích Nhất Hạnh, if I think sleeping will be difficult. He is particularly good for putting the mind in the right place. It isn't easy and it takes patience. I try to empty my mind focusing on nothingness. Inhale count 1 exhale count 2, inhale count 1 exhale count 2...

Last edited by Griff; 09-05-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #19
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

The breathing thing is very good, sort of breathing out more than in as Griff describes.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #20
glatt

I used to have serious trouble falling asleep, but then I eventually found myself in a boring no stress job. So there's very little to think about for the next day, like there used to be. Now I fall asleep easily, but my problem is I don't stay asleep. I wake up numerous times during the night and toss and turn. If I get up to pee, then that has a really good chance of waking me up for a good 2-3 hours of tossing and turning. I sleep through the night maybe two times a week. The other 5 nights, I'm tossing and turning for much of it.

It helps to not drink any alcohol. And don't do anything active late at night, like running errands. But you gotta live life.

All that said, I go to bed at 10 and get up at 6. Like clockwork.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #21
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

i try to get at least 6 hours. usually no more than 8. if i'm run down from too many 5-6 hour nights in a row, i might go 10 hours..... but then my fucking back hurts all morning.

7 is probably ideal... so i go to bed around 1am and get up at 8.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
glatt

you and your 3 minute commute
[/envy]
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

dude, i paid my dues for 8 years. and it's 8 minutes!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I go to bed at 9:00 PM and am awakened rudely at 5:00 AM. "MEOW, MEOW!!!"
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #25
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Inhale count 1 exhale count 2, inhale count 1 exhale count 2...
I do that...Learned about that on 'The Mentalist'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
...but then my fucking back hurts all morning.
I do that, too.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #26
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I've slept badly all my life, but with this job I can seriously zonk out with 10-15 minutes.
I've learned to read the signs, having been caught nodding off in the living room with half a glass of squash in my hand (got a rocket for that one, because of a spill that didn't actually happen) or coming to in front of the 'puter.

I get myself to bed irregardless* of the time because I know what's going to happen.
And I don't wake with the same stress and wide-eyed stare I used to have at 03.00, I just turn over and think "Mmmmmm, 'nother two hours...."

It's more exercise, better food and less alcofrolics. But none of those have worked before. Something about this job and the early rising just has my system shutting down at any time after 19.30. No tricks, no advice for anyone, it just happens. Oh and Diz now sleeps with me all night rather than jumping on my face or hair - he's adjusted really well. He gets to snuggle with me til 22.00 then have access to the house. The 'rents open the bedroom door; I'm sparko. All I know is I wake up cuddling him at 05.00.

I have managed later bed times. But almost always Thursday - Sunday when I start at 09.30 or have two supposed days off.
So that depends on how much overtime I have done.
On the night I didn't get home until gone 23.00 (day off, called in for overtime as counter glass was smashed and all stock needed to be removed and replaced) I didn't actually fall asleep walking home. But I marvelled at the people walking into town to start their nights out. And said that once was me.

* that one's for you, Infi
Old 09-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #27
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

I generally go to bed around 2130 or 2200, mostly because I know my daughter'll get me up 3-5 times during the night and I need to cram as much sleep in as possible before 0730 when she wakes up for the day.

Lately my phone has been my worst enemy in falling asleep. My mind wanders, then I reach over and grab my phone, then end up playing a few games of solitaire...

I slept like crap before I met my husband and had a knack for pulling all nighters. After we met, I started sleeping like a corpse. I'll sleep through thunderstorms and even, on one occasion, a fire alarm. Back to being a light sleeper thanks to motherhood.

If I'm having a hard time settling my mind, I focus on my breath like others have mentioned. I don't count, because counting actually keeps me up. Instead, I imagine myself inhaling a misty white light, and exhaling a gray fog. All the stress, worries, and grumps of the day slink out and dissipate. The white is peace and quiet.

Also -- we have a white noise machine. HIGHLY recommend it.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Chemo destroyed my ability to sleep for several months. I could fall asleep anytime but only napped 30-40 minutes at a time. No dreams ever.

I've just started sleeping as long as 5 hours and have started to dream again. So I go to bed by 10:00 (earlier if I'm really tired), fall asleep by 11:00, wake at 4:00 (ideally, although lots of nights I wake repeatedly). I'm hoping it continues to improve.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #29
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Its just the usual shit.
Even a broken watch is right twice a day.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #30
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yep, and theres more than one of them around here.