The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 07-07-2003, 03:07 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nice scarabs, I really like the blue one.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:30 PM   #17
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Ankh

Nothing I'm posting here is really that fantastic. A lot of it is low end craftsmanship and all I can afford when I travel on a shoestring budget. I guess the value is in the memories behind them. Although I don't remember much about buying the scarabs, I do remember buying this ankh along with some other identical ones (I gave to friends/family).

We walked at least a mile to the Cairo marketplace. Along the way a few men stopped us and offered to show us the "marketplace." My friend Suz shooed them off and said they weren't going to show us the "real" marketplace, but take us to a different one where everything is more expensive. I was sick with food poisoning or something, so I just staggered along.

We both wanted ankhs, and we found a guy who said he had some. We followed him into the basement of his shop where we sat down and he offered us tea. Suz refused for us, and though I thought it was pretty rude, I didn't say anything because I didn't care at that point. Suz made some small talk with him, but was trying to hurry him along so we could buy the ankhs and get out of there. He asked me what I studied in college, I murmured something. Suz lightly kicked me and said, "Um, she's been taking some, uh, business classes!" (I sneered at Suz for her choice in what I was studying). I wasn't hurrying things along because I was happy to be sitting down.

The conversation got around to how many camels we were worth. I guess camels are given as a sort of dowry around there. The guy offered to tell Suz how many camels she was worth. He made her turn around and then he wrapped his arms around her and picked her up from behind. He copped a good feel. I couldn't believe she let him do that. (This is a woman who once scolded me for letting a guy freak me in a nightclub.) "Ah, 130 camels!" He did the same to me, but I crossed my arms in front of my chest so it wasn't as much fun for him. "150 camels!" (Apparently, poundage = camels. Well, Suz probably weighs less than 130, but he was just being nice to her). As a result of this, Suz haggled a really low price for the ankhs.

So when I gave away my extra ankhs, I said to the recipient, "We got groped for this ankh." I keep one for myself just to remember.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2003, 10:46 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Cool, do you know what kind of metal the are? Oh, and how big?
Old 07-13-2003, 03:18 PM   #19
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Cool, do you know what kind of metal the are? Oh, and how big?
I think it's soft brass. This one is maybe 3 inches tall. Some of the other ones I had were half that size.