FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 06-01-2004, 11:24 PM   #16
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I see no need for concern.
'course you don't. you don;t have any kids. and you don't plan on having them.

Shelby and I have the awesome and sometimes confusing responsibility of choosing the best path for our childrens' health and well being. Among other things. If you thought the risks of the vaccine outweighed the chance of your child dying from the diseases they want to vaccinate him/her from, then you might find cause for concern.

there was one death from measels. one. how many "sids" deaths occured from 0-3 days of a major or multiple vaccination? The tables i linked list vaccines by abbreviation. Most of those are multiple vaccine shots.
Quote:
VAERS ID 30241 Vaccination Date: 1991-04-02
Age 0.2 Date filed: 1991-05-08
Sex M Where Administered: UNK
State PA Purchased by: UNK

Life Threatening Illness? No
Died? Yes (date died: 1991-04-04)
Disability? No
Recovered? No
ER or Doctor Visit? No
Hospitalized? No
Current Illness: Well baby
Diagnostic Lab Data: Request for Autopsy Report
Previous Vaccinations:
Other Medications:
Preexisting Conditions:
Vaccinations Manufacturer Lot Dose Route Site
1 DTP CONNAUGHT LABS 0C21045 0 IM L
2 HIBV LEDERLE(PRAXIS) M680EN 0 IM
3 OPV LEDERLE 628F1 0 PO
Onset Date: 1991-04-04 Number of Days: 2
Symptoms: SIDS
Expired; suspect SIDS-brought to Hosp p/being found unresponsive by babysitter; No fever, irritability prior;
3 seperate vaccine doses applied on the same date.

DTP...3 vaccines....diptheria, tetanus, pertussis
HIBV.....several similar antigens to reduce the risk of menengitis
OPV.....oral polio vaccine

and what's worse is that in several cases, the kids were already fucked up with some other kind of malady, and the doctors gave them their vaccines anyway. Jinx showed me one last night that blew my mind. I can;t remember the details, but the kid was being treated for something heavy....she mentioned phenylbarbitol and siezures....he died hours after the shot, and the med report said something like " the kid was already pretty bad off, and we really don;t think the vaccines had much to do with his death" .....so, if this kid is dying, why the fuck are you giving him vaccines? agh!

you see no need for concern?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:00 AM   #17
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

They claim that the new mercury-vaccines have nothing to do with autism, but I don't think I trust them a whole lot on that. A woman I worked with at the hospital said that her two-year-old grandson was a bright, active child until he got some kind of vaccine (I think it was the DTP). The child is now autistic. Granted, autism is more common among males than females, but how do you go from being a normal child to being an autistic child?

I made sure that they gave Ash the older, non-mercury vaccines, regardless of their assurances that the mercury vaccines were safe. The old ones didn't hurt me, so I figure they're just as safe for her.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #18
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i think that mercury is more apt to be in the older ones. Mercury is a heavy metal, and it's effects are cumulative. they use it in vaccines to kill live viri. you can also get mercury if you eat lots of salmon or tuna, among other sources.

jinx knows a lot about that. i can rememebr bits and pieces, but basically, my brain says..."mercury bad."
Old 06-02-2004, 10:43 AM   #19
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Hm...from what I've been told, they're putting small amounts of mercury in the new vaccines in order to preserve them, or make them last longer. I could be wrong. I'll have to check it out. Maybe it's some other kind of chemical....

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:33 PM   #20
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sidhe
Hm...from what I've been told, they're putting small amounts of mercury in the new vaccines in order to preserve them, or make them last longer. I could be wrong. I'll have to check it out. Maybe it's some other kind of chemical....

Sidhe
No, Thimerosal (49% ethyl mercury) is no longer being used as a preservative in vaccines (in the same quantities it once was as of 1999) thanks to Rep Dan Burton of Indiana. There are lots of other lovely chemicals still in them though.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:10 PM   #21
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
'course you don't. you don;t have any kids. and you don't plan on having them.
Actually, if I had kids, I wouldn't think twice about giving them vaccinations.

Quote:
you see no need for concern?
Nope...the data from your link is swiss cheese. And Jinx's data could be used to support vaccinations.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 02:30 PM   #22
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Nope...the data from your link is swiss cheese. And Jinx's data could be used to support vaccinations.
yeah, and your tongue could be used to prop up a wobbly table.

what;s your point? you disagree? you don;t think there is any risk involved in vaccination? you think the danger of the disease is worse than the danger of vaccine injury? or is your superior tone your entire argument?
Old 06-02-2004, 03:02 PM   #23
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i guess when i think about this, i think that the human race did just fine for thousands of years before we started trying to fix everything, and now, we have a little knowledge. a little knowledge is far more dangerous than none.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:43 PM   #24
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

The human race did NOT do fine before vaccines came out.

The average age was somewhere in the forties, death by disease was virtually certain, food was generally poor quality and served as a host to many germs and virii. I sometimes suspect that this reason is why certain religions forbid pork and shellfish.

Modern medicine isn't a panacea for all of society's illnesses, but I'd rather be here NOW vs THEN.

Oh yeah, I had the live and dead versions of most vaccines (thank you very much, navy medical) more than once and have yet to have any ill effects. All in all, I'd vaccinate my child. With ALL of em. and not worry too too much about possible side effects.

Brian
Old 06-02-2004, 03:46 PM   #25
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
yeah, and your tongue could be used to prop up a wobbly table.

what;s your point? you disagree? you don;t think there is any risk involved in vaccination? you think the danger of the disease is worse than the danger of vaccine injury? or is your superior tone your entire argument?
You know, I've never met a dopesmoker as anal retentive as you. Don't read so hard into things.

The data you presented is full of holes--I wouldn't personally draw any conclusions from it. Not to mention, it's a very small number of incidents. What I said about Jinx's numbers stands. Based on the information I've read and seen, I believe the benefits of vaccines outweigh any dangers.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:03 PM   #26
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

well, i do believe that the decision should be a personal one, and if you feel like the safest thing for you to do is to vaccinate your kids with all 30 odd shots/boosters before they're 2 yrs old, then i respect that. I just think that you should be aware of the danger. If my kids died or got sick from a shot that I decided to give him/her, i don;t know what i'd do. If my kid got mumps or chicken pox or measels, i'd take him to the doctor, and get him well. you see what i'm saying?

this is just the tip of a huge debate that goes on. some of the vaccines, like chicken pox, that are required in more and more schools, were tested for very short time periods, and lose effectiveness in the childs teenage years. if you get chixpox when you're 19 and in college, you're in deep shit. same with measels.

the data posted can be manipulated to argue whatever point you want, just like most data. I'm saying that there IS cause for concern, whether you see it or not. do some digging on your own, but if you are faced with this decision, please be aware of the danger of multiple and aggressive vaccination schedules.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:10 PM   #27
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
please be aware of the danger of multiple and aggressive vaccination schedules.
I think that this is the most import, present, issue at hand.

A protracted regimen may stress the system less.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:20 PM   #28
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
as anal retentive as you
anal retentive? from my understanding, anal retentive means that you are particular about details and order. an anal retentive person has a compulsion to correct minor errors and work out soultions to the nth degree. were you just saying that for a laugh, or do i not understand the true meaning of anal retentive?
Old 06-02-2004, 04:30 PM   #29
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Vaccine allergy reaction
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:30 PM   #30
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter

I think that this is the most import, present, issue at hand.

A protracted regimen may stress the system less.
It would also make it easier to track down dangerous vaccines and hot lots. Once a vacine is added to the schedule and given with several other vaccines at once, any problems it may cause could be harder to identify as having been caused by it. Unless, as in the case with Rotashield, the problems it causes (intussception) are evident during the trials but it's approved anyway. It's interesting that Dr. Paul Offitt, who is chief of infectious diseases at CHOP, is the patent holder for Rotashield which he developed on Merk's dime. Dr. Offitt is also on the FDA advisory commitee that approved the Rotashield vaccine (he voted in favor of it However he abstained from the vote on whether to pull the vaccine after a few infants died from it, citing a conflict of interest. ).
I remember someone here admonishing me about taking advice from doctors who are trying to sell me something. Gave me a little giggle...