The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-13-2004, 09:39 PM   #16
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

The article would've scored even more wingnut points if there'd been a suspicious group of Syrian musicians on the bus in question, playing a jaunty tune for the Brits while they berated the poor American tourist.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 05:43 AM   #17
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

I think Dana's said it all, some excellent points there my dear.

Of course there is anti-American sentiment, but lets take the word 'American' out for a second. Most people, in most countries, will be 'anti' something, most of the time. For the English, it is usually the Monarchy, the NHS, America, the French, the Germans, Scottish football, the Northerners, the Southerners... you get the idea. Wherever there is a distinction there is conflict. It just so happens that America is being run by the most incompetant deluded unfettered fool in modern history, which kind of adds to that 'anti' sentiment.

But please, most of us are not stupid enough to blame the average Joe (see how we adapt your terminology - imitation is the highest form of flattery) for political and world events. As vsp says, you get wankers in every country; don't assume all people only hate Americans. Some idiots hate everyone else too.

PS. Excuse me UT could we have a 'cup of tea' smiley please?
Old 10-14-2004, 09:51 AM   #18
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I lived in England this past summer for 2 months. I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience and all of the English people that I met. I was never treated with disrespect or negatively because I was from the US.

I do find that many Americans, when abroad, act like spoiled brats because things aren't the same as they are in the US. Hello! That's why you travel - to experience new things... There were numerous occasions when I was quited tempted to burn my passport and renounce my citizenship because of boorish American behavior. Moral of the story - if you act like an ass, regardless what country you're from, people won't like you.

I am probably more anti-american now than I was before, but I really had a lovely time there and can't wait to go back. It's a great country.

Service in restaurants does tend to be slower than we are used to, but just chalk it up to cultural differences. Buy someone a pint, and you have a friend for life .
Old 10-14-2004, 10:04 AM   #19
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

[quote=melidasaur]
I do find that many Americans, when abroad, act like spoiled brats because things aren't the same as they are in the US. Hello! That's why you travel - to experience new things... There were numerous occasions when I was quited tempted to burn my passport and renounce my citizenship because of boorish American behavior. Moral of the story - if you act like an ass, regardless what country you're from, people won't like you.

Yes, this is the point I was getting around to.
flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:09 AM   #20
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur
Buy someone a pint, and you have a friend for life.
Aw shucks, we're not that easy are we?

Hmm methinks the restaurant issue needs clearing up. Depending on the type of establishment you frequent, the food is slower for one of the following two reasons:

- We actually cook food to order over here, rather than prick two holes in the film and stick it in the microwave for 3 minutes;
- The waitress didn't understand your order, thought you said 'Duck Liver Parfait' not a 'ten buck steak'; the scones are burning and the chef (drunk) has dropped your meal twice (already) and keeps having to re-do it.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:42 PM   #21
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman

Hmm methinks the restaurant issue needs clearing up. Depending on the type of establishment you frequent, the food is slower for one of the following two reasons:

- We actually cook food to order over here, rather than prick two holes in the film and stick it in the microwave for 3 minutes;
- The waitress didn't understand your order, thought you said 'Duck Liver Parfait' not a 'ten buck steak'; the scones are burning and the chef (drunk) has dropped your meal twice (already) and keeps having to re-do it.
I think the service is slower for a good reason... they want you to take your time, hang out, have an overall pleasurable experience. Unlike here - get in, get out, get on with your life. I don't mind it... it actually forces you to make pleasant conversation with your dining companions. God forbid people actually talk to each other.

Catwoman, where in England are you? I'm curious to see if I've been there.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:34 PM   #22
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur
Buy someone a pint, and you have a friend for life.

.....ummm....yes? Well.....depending on the pint of course

I am so glad you enjoyed being in England Melidasaur. Friends of mine who have visited America tell me they were made to feel very welcome over there, it's nice to know that works both ways.

Last edited by DanaC; 10-14-2004 at 03:48 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:45 PM   #23
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

everybody's that easy! Worldwide phenom---it's great! = :
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:04 PM   #24
jinx
Come on, cat.

Not me, I don't like beer.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:22 PM   #25
DanaC

...........You could win me over with a pint of tea.....
Old 10-14-2004, 04:25 PM   #26
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

cream tea, DanaC? What'll you have, jinx? vodka rocks?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 10-14-2004, 04:30 PM   #27
DanaC

ahhhh *sighs* Cream Tea in a little tea shop in some narrow little village on a slightly warm summer's day. Now that's England
Old 10-14-2004, 04:31 PM   #28
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
What'll you have, jinx? vodka rocks?
Cosmopolitan please. And keep 'em comin'...
Old 10-14-2004, 06:23 PM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman
But please, most of us are not stupid enough to blame the average Joe (see how we adapt your terminology - imitation is the highest form of flattery) for political and world events.
See, you can do it when you crave nylons and chocolate.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:42 PM   #30
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

speaking of which----did you see the Simpson's episode where Abe was the father of a female Homer only she was born of an English woman during WWII?
Homer said it all when he declared to the Queen that we are England's children and so is Canada---though, Canada has never had a boyfriend, I'm just sayin'...

—James Barrie