The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-19-2005, 03:30 PM   #16
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Actually, I can claim the 2 boys every, plus this year I get to claim my daughter, plus as part of the ongoing custody agreement, we are trying to get one of Husband's girls as well.

But even with just the two boys, especially when I was claiming head of household, I was paying in about $3500 a year total, and getting $6000 a year back.

And don't forget, I used to live in Nevada, which has no income tax. And I didn't own property for most of that, so I paid no property tax, either.

So yes, technically, I'm paying the taxes in, but it's more like an "after christmas fund".

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #17
Tracy
Recruit or Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsong
Actually if you are truley sick and tired of the IRS, the SS taken out of you pay check and a myriad of other indecendies carried on in the name of taxes, try out
fairtax.org

A lot of very sensible work goes into this.
The problem with the FairTax and other "revenue neutral" proposals is that it doesn't move towards the direction of less taxation or more liberty. It makes it "fairer" maybe, but quite frankly their isn't a such a thing as a tax that's "fair." The fairtax, instead moves sideways. And considering what we know about government, sideways tends in actuality after all the debates, ammendments, and regs to mean towards more tyranny.

2ndly, all spending is a tax. Regardless of how the monies collected, it still needs to be paid for somehow. The only way to actually cut taxes in the long run, is to cut spending waving some majic government wand to restructure how taxes are collected isn't going to solve that problem. There's no way for the government to take 2 trillion dollars out of the ecconomy with-out causing serious disruptions.

I don't think we should settle for replacing the current tax scheme with another one. If all those people who spend all their energy towards restructuring actually spent their energy trying to repeal it, repealing it would be possible. Especially since, as I said, repealing the income tax would only decrease government revenues down to about Clinton era currently. It seems to me that it's practical and even pragmatic to advocate the abolishion of the income tax.

Oynx, sounds to me like you're on a form of welfare dole. The difference between the $3500 that you would have paid in, and the $6000 in child tax credits ($2500) is other peoples money. Money the government took from other people to give to you. I understand, you've got to live in the system though.

Tracy
Old 04-19-2005, 05:51 PM   #18
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy
Oynx, sounds to me like you're on a form of welfare dole. The difference between the $3500 that you would have paid in, and the $6000 in child tax credits ($2500) is other peoples money. Money the government took from other people to give to you. I understand, you've got to live in the system though.

Tracy
The only "welfare" I'm on is Reduced lunches for my kids at school. Instead of paying $1.75 for lunch per day, they pay $.40.

edited.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by OnyxCougar; 04-19-2005 at 05:54 PM.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:51 PM   #19
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Ah, contemplate the utopia we could live in if everything the government spends money on was instead handled by unregulated corporations!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #20
lookout123
changed his status to single

those with skills, training, drive, and a fat load of luck would be very happy.

those missing one of those would be grumbling hard.

those missing two would be just plain effed.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:15 AM   #21
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Bush's tax commission (reg required) has come up with a plan to simplify the tax code.

Quote:
a presidential commission studying the tax laws has reached the conclusion that there are too many deductions and credits.
Hey, that may have some merit. It's common knowledge that many wealthy people and corporations can use odd tax loopholes and deductions to pay no taxes, right?
Quote:
a deduction for student loan interest and tax-advantaged savings plans. Urban and rural tax zones encourage investment and job creation. Dozens of other tax benefits help families raise children and save for retirement, encourage adoption, nudge drivers toward hybrid cars and push businesses to invest in new equipment.
provide health insurance to employees
mortgage interest deduction, a capital gains break for home sales, a deduction for charitable contributions and the child tax credit.
This, combined with an estate tax repeal, will certainly make taxes simpler - if you're poor or middle class, pay up!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:50 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsong
Actually if you are truley sick and tired of the IRS, the SS taken out of you pay check and a myriad of other indecendies carried on in the name of taxes, try out
fairtax.org

A lot of very sensible work goes into this.
From the Fairtax site;
Quote:
Everyone pays their fair share of taxes, and with the FairTax rebate, spending up to the poverty level is tax free. The Federal government is fully funded, including Social Security and Medicare, and you don't need an expert to determine your Federal taxes.
It's simple.
OK, here's my objection. If the spending up to the poverty level is free that means you have to file to get a refund for the tax you paid up to the poverty level. That means we get rid of the complicated tax code and keep the bureaucracy. We change the name but it's still the IRS drones.
I say lower the rate and no exceptions or exempt food. Does that mean all the programs that pay people like OC, go away or does that bureaucracy stay?