The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-17-2005, 11:13 AM   #16
busterb
NSABFD

Get a repair manual and if not sure take a few photos of each step of disassembly. On some cars it does no good to look at the other side to get out of a jam, because it might be ass backwards. I guess you still need a large c-clamp to compress the caliber. Wouldn't hurt to be sober while going it.

Last edited by busterb; 05-17-2005 at 11:15 AM. Reason: sp
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #17
russotto
Professor

Sober when you put the parts on, drunk for the first test drive, in case you screwed up.

Anyway, disk brakes are supposedly easy. Drum brakes aren't, everything which needs to move will be rusted stuck. I'll pay the money.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:00 PM   #18
busterb
NSABFD

Naw just get a few cans of cleaner & spray hell out of it before you start. BUT the springs on rear drums are a tough sob. You really need a tool for that. About 4 or 5 bucks. And the cables that do the self adjusting thing are a pain. Little clips that whole rear shoes in place are fun!!
Old 05-17-2005, 08:08 PM   #19
busterb
NSABFD

BTW Last brake job on my old f-150. Only guy I could get to help me is almost deaf & his light went out long ago. I guess everyone in town heard some of that. When we were bleeding the system. PUMP CHARLES WHOA PUMP SLOW DOWN ON THE PUMPING WOHA and a few other choice words.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:55 AM   #20
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Yes UT, they are that easy. Most modern rear disc brakes now require a special caliper-compression tool (pricey) because they SCREW in, not just compress in. I borrow the tool for now, but there's a tool store in W-B that sells one for about $100 that I might just invest in. Drum rears are easy too, if you're careful and remember where everything goes. It takes me about one hour per axle to do my own, once every other year. Bleeding is usually not necessary as long as you don't disconnect the brake lines.

If you need help sometime, email me and I'll pop by. The Haynes service manual for your car is an invaluable reference and I always buy one as soon as I buy a car. It stays in the trunk so I don't lose it and I refer to it whenever I need information. I also keep my OBD-II code reader handy too, for those annoying "Check Engine" lights.

Brian
Old 05-18-2005, 08:04 AM   #21
busterb
NSABFD

BrianR. Tell me more about the OBD-II code reader. What do you do w/code once you get it? Should that be OBC? For computer. Maybe D for data? Wtf do I know about this? nada.

Last edited by busterb; 05-18-2005 at 08:07 AM. Reason: add
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:48 AM   #22
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb
BTW Last brake job on my old f-150. Only guy I could get to help me is almost deaf & his light went out long ago. I guess everyone in town heard some of that. When we were bleeding the system. PUMP CHARLES WHOA PUMP SLOW DOWN ON THE PUMPING WOHA and a few other choice words.
Hot Damn! That's the funniest thing cause it's TRUE! UT, take note to choose your brake bleeding partner accordingly!
Old 05-19-2005, 07:59 AM   #23
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

OBD II stands for OnBoard Diagnostics v II.0. When my code reader gives me a code, I translate it here. Then I know what the problem supposedly is. Sometimes it doesn't tell me squat.

Like now for instance. My Check Engine light tells me that the System Mixture is Too Lean. Say what? Does that mean too much air or not enough fuel? Since I see no sign of excessive exhaust temperatures, hear no detonation and haven't noticed any significant change in mileage, I'm betting this means I have a bad sensor somewhere...possibly the MAP sensor. I ignore this trouble code mostly. Other times it told me my O2 sensor was bad and it WAS!

My car is going to have to go in for major work soon anyhow so I plan on just having a new engine put in to compliment the new transmission and new suspension. I will put in new brakes as well. My new engine will be massaged some to give me more horsepower and the transmission (God willing) will be a manual for better control and reliability. If I go to the trouble to get more power and install a transmission that can handle it so as to handle the mountains here, I might as well get more WHOA power to stop me again.

The Cat won't be a "hot rod" or really even a "sleeper" but it will have about 30% more power and torque and since I pull a trailer now and then, I want more braking power as well. The factory Cougar leaves a lot of room for improvement. That's really the only reason I'm keeping it at all. That and I *like* it.

Brian

PS Oh yeah, a code reader will run about $100 for a basic one to $250 for a really good one. Check your local auto parts store.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I prefer the factory manuals because they break down the trouble code to possible causes, how to check further and the scope of system the trouble is in. It appears there are random sensors all over the engine bay but actually they are grouped in sub-systems. The trouble code should indicate which system to start checking if not which sensor.

Don't forget new rotors and drums should be trued(cut) before they're used.

Digital cameras can pay for themselves over the cost of polaroids for recording what you're doing...or rather undoing. This works for non-automotive projects too, so if you need an excuse to convince your partner(or yourself) for buying............

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 05-21-2005 at 07:32 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote