The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Are ghosts real?
Yep, they're the spirits of the deceased. 9 33.33%
Paranormal experiences are actually natural phenomena that we misinterpret. 11 40.74%
Paranormal occurrences don't happen -- it's all in your head. 6 22.22%
They're spiritual beings, but not people -- they're demons/fairies/something else. 6 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #16
wolf
lobber of scimitars

ICU psychosis kind of meshes with morphine induced psychosis and you get some wierd shit going on ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #17
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I don't think that entities/ghosts/spirits/phenomena are necessarily a single thing. I most especially don't buy into the whole "died horribly and are upset and lingering" theory.

That being said, I believe in parapsychological phenomenon. I've seen too many things that I cannot explain. I myself have experienced premonitions which came to pass. I don't know the mechanism, but I suspect it is related somehow to the energy fabric which is our physical world.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:49 PM   #18
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
I've seen too many things that I cannot explain. I myself have experienced premonitions which came to pass. I don't know the mechanism, but I suspect it is related somehow to the energy fabric which is our physical world.
Yeah, what he said.

I've experienced several different manifestations--vague, light-based, solidly human-shaped, invisible but physical, weird-shaped, and downright evil. Also, a few premonitions; one in particular that was so strong that I was able to alter the outcome. I have no idea where these things come from. I'd prefer that they not occur, but when they do, you just have to kind of go with it.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:12 AM   #19
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

This story requires a little setup.

My Mom inherited a violin from her grandfather. No one else in the family played, so my mom had it mounted in a frame as a memory of her grandfather. My Mom's aunt found out about it and was very upset that it hadn't been saved so that someone would eventually take it up. Though my Mom and her aunt got along well, it remained a point of contention between them.

Years later ~8pm in the evening, the violin springs off the wall falling on the piano underneath it. My Mom heard the racket and came to see what happened. Now there was no reason that thing should have come off it's mounting. It was wired to the background and there was no internal tension - the violin strings were all loosened, etc.

Later that evening she got a call from her cousin. Her aunt had died. As near as we can tell, just before the violin took a dive.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:27 PM   #20
mrnoodle
bent

I got a couple three experiences. The least scary (and most unexpected) was in Del Norte in 1995.

They had recently begun renovating the Windsor Hotel, which had been vacant since 1970 or so. It's only by pure luck that the place wasn't razed (that, and the town has no money anyway). The second floor had rotted away, as had much of the roof. Only the outer hallways remained, these wall-less and overlooking the gaping hole to the lobby below. A few rooms were still accessible, but the doors for these were mostly gone, having been used as firewood by the transients who broke in and wintered there.

Renovation happens sporadically in Del Norte, so they're still working on the hotel. At the time, they had gotten money to fix the roof, and I was taking pictures for the local paper. It was about 8 in the morning, sunny, and the building was empty. I had just interviewed the historical society guy, and he went around back to where the demo crew was getting ready to pull off the rest of the rotten roof.

I went inside and climbed the scary staircase to the second floor to nose around. Sunlight was streaming in in various places, from the windows in the doorless rooms and from the holes in the ceiling. I was getting a feel for the oldness of the building and trying to find the light for a nifty black and white shot when I got that feeling. This was followed immediately by a really strong odor of fresh cigar smoke, like someone was right next to me with a stogie. It was quite hard to see clearly because of the contrast of the bright sunbeams and the dark corners of the hotel, so I didn't see anything. Just the smell and the "someone's right there" sensation. Those of you who are aware of that kind of thing know the feeling I'm talking about.

I wasn't scared or creeped out. In fact, the first feeling was positive, like whoever it was was just saying "hi" after a long time with no guests in his hotel. I'd bet it was a previous innkeeper/owner, or that was the impression I got, anyway.

I hope they finally get the thing open for business again sometime, at least as a historical monument/museum.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:13 AM   #21
staceyv
Lecturer

This stuff freaks me out. I only read the whole thread because it's like an accident on the side of the road- you can't stop looking even though it's scary and makes you feel creeped out.
I got goosebumps all over my body about 4 times. I'm the type of person who absolutely cannot watch horror or psychological thrillers...It's 3 am and I'm alone in here. Thanks a whole lot.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot- the restaurant I work in has 3 floors. The employee room is on the second, and often, when I'm in there doing my cash-out, I hear loud thumps and banging and noises coming from the 3rd floor. It sounds like someone is throwing a bowling ball on the floor. NOONE is up there. It's a storage area. I asked someone about it. I was told, in a serious tone, that the restaurant is haunted. Oh, great.
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #22
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

I have had a few run-ins with the paranormal. the easiest to re-create though is the Joplin Ghost Lights..if you are ever in Joplin Missouri ask a local.. there are these weird will-o-the-wisp lights that float down the street.. one of the strangest things I have seen. failing that there's a house on the s.east corner of mass. and 23rd streets here in town.. (a friend of mine lived there) one day we were all lounging about downstairs, (and everyone was accounted for) when from upstairs we heard a loud ass thump.. so I went up to check it out (curiousity... cat... etc.) and two bedroom door were open and there was a damn cold spot right at the bend in the stairs.. and when I say cold spot.. I mean the temperature dropped from a balmy 85 degrees to frost on the breath cold. but just in that spot.. so of course I gathered a couple of other people to check it out and they all had the same experience.. there was another time with oujia board... witnesses... it's all about the witnesses (and no, we weren't high or drunk at the time, afterwards OH HELL YEAH!)
Old 08-04-2005, 09:29 AM   #23
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Like These? (First and second shelves from the top left, near the middle) Those aren't from the lens, they're dust in the air reflecting the flash.
Never thought of that.. could very well be the case. Wierd that they don't show up in all the photos though, even consecutive shots from the same spot taken 30 seconds apart will have some balls floatin around in one, and nothing of the sort showing up in the second.
Digital cam btw, so no printing fluke stuff.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:57 AM   #24
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Several times I've had a feeling of deja vu so strong that I had nearly had violent outbursts (the actual feeling and response are very hard to describe). That is the strangest thing I ever experienced except for seeing an apparition of my deceased grandmother during a violent thunderstorm which was most likely due to a combination of over-active imagination and the raging thunderstrom going on at the time..
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #25
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt
Never thought of that.. could very well be the case. Wierd that they don't show up in all the photos though, even consecutive shots from the same spot taken 30 seconds apart will have some balls floatin around in one, and nothing of the sort showing up in the second.
Digital cam btw, so no printing fluke stuff.
Mine's a digital camera, too. It has to do with whether a dust speck is close enough to the lens to be visible and blurry, and far enough to catch the flash. I'm sure my room was chock full of dust, since we had just emptied out an old bookshelf and put together the new one, and done alot of vacuuming of the books, and yet there were only three or so artifacts in the image. The variables need to be just right. The dustier a room is, the better your chances, but there are no guarantees.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:09 PM   #26
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

I gave this link earlier in the thread http://www.ghoststudy.com/gallery.htmlThe site has supposed photos of real ghosts and ghost like appearances. One of the more popular photo subjects are these things called "orbs." Essentially they look just like the orbs in HMs photo, glowing balls of light. The guys running this site are convinced that they are true orbs and not dust particles or what they call "lense crashes." I do notice that whenever these photos are taken, they are taken during times of poor lighting, in and outdoor setting, or poor photo lighting (overexposure, over flash), or when shooting something where there might be glass, a mirror, or something equally reflective in the room. Light and lenses are goofy and has a strange way reacting to stray light sources and the reflectivity of the lense itself. I have had dust inside my lense element show up on film during certain types of lighting situations.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:15 PM   #27
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Here's a major ghost infestation!

click for large size
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:25 PM   #28
lookout123
changed his status to single

AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 02:37 PM   #29
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

Warning: Very scrary!

A creepy photo of a real ghost?
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #30
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I'd buy that it is a real photo of a ghost's real bed linen.