The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #16
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
...Here in the West, we keep our poultry in barns and can isolate them pretty easily....
If it's the same in the USA as here in the UK, then there are many individuals around who keep chickens, ducks and geese in very small numbers and these tend to roam outside. It's knowing that the message and instructions to isolate such collections, keeping them under cover, could fail to be acknowledged or heard that presents the achilles heel here.

Most UK commercial poultry farmers have too much to lose to ignore government instructions and recommendations - in fact those that normally would have to protect their organic and free range status by allowing their birds to roam have already been given dispensation to keep them under cover without affecting this status - a safeguard to address this otherwise high-risk categorisation requirement.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
and no more stealing that random kid's candy unless they haven't shoved it in their mouth, yet.
The 10 second rule is repealed.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:41 AM   #18
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

Between this and the recent mad cow sighting, I can only ask:

How's being vegetarian sound?

Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #19
be-bop
Operations Operative

A bear and a chicken were arguing in the woods,
Bear "I'm the toughest in the woods I growl and the whole woods shits themselves in fear".

Chicken " That's fuck all,I sneeze and the whole country shits themselves in fear".

be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
If it's the same in the USA as here in the UK, then there are many individuals around who keep chickens, ducks and geese in very small numbers and these tend to roam outside. It's knowing that the message and instructions to isolate such collections, keeping them under cover, could fail to be acknowledged or heard that presents the achilles heel here.
It's the same. I've got a flock of chickens here doing the free range thing. I'll have to off the whole bunch if things get ugly. This is that weird case where the pathetic chickens stuffed in little cages with their beaks ground is healthier than running around in the grass. We've never had migratory fowl in close proximity so we're probably cool but I'm going to stay educated on it. We already do the barn boots don't leave the farm thing...
Old 03-15-2006, 09:30 PM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Tower of London Ravens have been moved indoors.

Apparently, if they die the sun sets on the British Empire or something.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:22 AM   #22
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
The Tower of London Ravens have been moved indoors.

Apparently, if they die the sun sets on the British Empire or something.
I think our current government have already beaten them when it comes to to achieving that
Old 03-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #23
marichiko

Anyone who is worried about bird flu and who has a domestic cat that they allow to roam out of doors might want to take a lesson from the Tower of London's ravens and, also, confine kitty indoors. Bird flu has already been discovered in the cat-like civet and could easily spread among populations of domestic cats both here and in Europe. I wanted to make my little (well, now Big!) Siamese an indoor cat, but he's quite the sly escape artist and sometimes eludes me to go out on adventures. Yesterday he made an escape and returned with a single downy bird feather stuck to the corner of his mouth. The little rapscallion!
Old 03-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #24
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

If he starts sneezing, run.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:57 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That could just be feathers up his nose.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #26
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
That could just be feathers up his nose.
[Tyler Durden voice] Sticking feathers up your butt does not mean you have bird flu [/Tyler Durden voice]

Ref link

Last edited by slang; 03-16-2006 at 07:30 PM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #27
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I'm pretty close to ordering 4 N100 filter masks just in case. Otherwise, if there were an outbreak, it could be weeks before anything beyond those cheap disposables would be available.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:48 PM   #28
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
I'm pretty close to ordering 4 N100 filter masks just in case. Otherwise, if there were an outbreak, it could be weeks before anything beyond those cheap disposables would be available.
I'm thinking about getting home delivery for beer
Old 03-17-2006, 07:03 AM   #29
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

It's called H5N1

It is a good thing that governments are taking care to prepare for a possible threat. But then we have to put that threat into perspective. Previous versions of the disease that did pass into to humans were the types H1, H2, and H3. They caused humans to get sick in 1918, 1957, and 1968. What was the solution? Better health practices. Wash hands. Wash down things that people touch. When the epidemic was so catastrophic, people also did not practice these essential cleaning practices.

So where will the disease be a greater problem. Obviously among those who daily work with birds. But also where good health practices are not exercised. The H5 type could be a problem. But moreso, it will show us where we are not down our jobs to stay clean and healthy. That this virus would be any more disastrous than others is mostly about getting people to practice normal precautions.

Last edited by tw; 03-17-2006 at 07:07 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:36 AM   #30
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
That this virus would be any more disastrous than others is mostly about getting people to practice normal precautions.
I've been wondering about this, myself, and I've noted that no media coverage has discussed the sanitation differences between 1918 and today.

An interesting tidbit I gathered from the PBS documentary on the 1918 flu: the reason the most affected people were healthy, young adults was not because the virus somehow targeted these people, but because it was most likely that the elderly had developed a resistance to that strain of flu thanks to an outbreak of a similar flu several decades earlier.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote