The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #286
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I'd be willing to bet there are more machine guns in the hands of American civilians than in the hands of the U.S. military.
Ok, I'll put 10 pesos on Radar for this one.

The gangs, the collectors, and the ex-military guys have more.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #287
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I'd be willing to bet there are more machine guns in the hands of American civilians than in the hands of the U.S. military.
I would doubt that. The majority of all rifles in the inventory can fire on full auto. Plus the military has much more ammo than any civilian could hope to own.

I will now exercise my right not to read the last 9 pages of this circular argument.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #288
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
How much is plenty? I know there are a good amount but enough to stop the need of importing those types of guns? I honestly don't know this so I am just making assumptions on the number.
Are you wondering, if civil unrest broke out it could be defeated by cutting off imports? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I would doubt that. The majority of all rifles in the inventory can fire on full auto.
Which they rarely use, because more than 3 rounds is inaccurate and wasteful.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #289
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Which they rarely use, because more than 3 rounds is inaccurate and wasteful.
Correct.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #290
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hey, I'm not just a pretty face ya know.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #291
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Are you wondering, if civil unrest broke out it could be defeated by cutting off imports? No.
I don't think so. If civil rest breaks out in America, there would be no way to stop the import of heavy guns and bombs.

What I am wondering is if civil rest does break out, are there enough to heavy guns in the US right now so the importation of more heavy guns is not needed? If there are 300 million machine guns in civilian hands in the US right now, the importation of more machine guns will not be needed. Anyone who does fight the revolution will have three or four. But if there are only 300,000 machine guns, importation will be needed.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #292
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

I'm not talking about just rifles. I'm talking about the miltary with tanks and airplanes as well. Can't shoot them all down. After all, this is American production we are talking about. And corporations will side with the government. The government and the corporation combined will successfully suppress even a gun-toting nation.

Last edited by deadbeater; 12-16-2007 at 07:39 PM.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #293
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

But corporations are worked by the people.

Well, they will just move somewhere else then wouldn't they?
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #294
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Not if they are part of the military industrial complex. And who knows if foreign military industries won't help the government from these home grown 'terrorists'?

Last edited by deadbeater; 12-16-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #295
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I'm surprised that none of the gun-totin' types around these parts have yet pointed out the difference between "automatic rifles" and "machine guns".

AKs, M-16s, Uzis, etc are automatic rifles (or pistols as the case may be) although it is common for folks to refer to them as "machine guns" in the sense of "hold the trigger in and bangbangbangbangbangbangbang".

Machine guns, strictly speaking, are things like M-60s or larger; usually belt fed, much larger caliber, heavier weapons.

I wonder if the disagreement above was due to mixing these two senses of "machine gun".
That US civilians hold more automatic rifles than the military is quite plausible. More (strictly) machine guns ... seems less plausible to this outsider.

And so, imagine 10,000 civilians with automatic rifles*, against 500 trained military with tanks, artillery, air support, full command and control networks .... if it came to a pitched battle, I'd rather be inside one of the tanks.

EDIT: * and a few heavier weapons...

Last edited by ZenGum; 12-16-2007 at 09:03 PM.
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #296
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Also, more importantly, America is not like Israel, where each citizen undergo mandatory military training and service. Israeli citizens can in this case take on the Israeli government.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:43 PM   #297
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urruke View Post
(though I perfur the bow, even though it's more expensive it requires actual skill to kill something.. which a gun needs little)

So, I leave for a couple days, come back and..wow....I have of this reading to catch up on. I say to myself, "Self, all this circular arguing is going on...why not just skim and read like, every third post." I glance at this thing which says that shooting a gun takes relatively little skill.

The only thing I can ask is: have you tried, a 5.56mm round at 600 yards with a 7.5 mph to 10 mph full value cross wind?

I'm still amazed at how such a simple question as the first post asks, can generate so much talk. I"m amazed I've participated as much as I have. I'm amazed at how much more has been talked about in the few days of my absence.

Reminds me of a movie line: "98% of the people in the world are asleep..the other 2% are amazed."

I figured I'd interject a little more off topic drivel for the reading audiences perusal.

Everyone who likes coke should switch to pepsi, now!

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:50 AM   #298
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, no, no, everyone who likes coke should switch to crack, now.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #299
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Yea, well, the Govt. has been trouncing all over my right to hit the pipe when ever I want. The tyranny!

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #300
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe View Post
The only thing I can ask is: have you tried, a 5.56mm round at 600 yards with a 7.5 mph to 10 mph full value cross wind?

I'm still amazed at how such a simple question as the first post asks, can generate so much talk. I"m amazed I've participated as much as I have. I'm amazed at how much more has been talked about in the few days of my absence.

Reminds me of a movie line: "98% of the people in the world are asleep..the other 2% are amazed."
Welcome to my world...