Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #301
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
So I take it that you are not interested in an objective/moderated discussion where you have to justify your opinion and not simply attack.

I propose UT as moderator...our own Tm Russert or Tony Snow...two late (but only one great) talking head/moderators types.

Let me know if you change your mind and we can set the rules with UT.
All I did was ask you to dispute the assessment of my post. Can you or can't you? Really, I am interested. Dispute what she stated, which I generally agree with. "I am all ears." (RP)
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #302
Redux

I know from experience that what ever I say, you will jump in with a charge of "failed" or "propaganda"

Why should I continue to play by your rules.

Make it a level playing field and we can discuss any issue you want.

Are you really that afraid to have a moderated discussion?

Let me know if you change your mind.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #303
TheMercenary

Quote:
I know from experience that what ever I say, you will jump in with a charge of "failed" or "propaganda"

Why should I continue to play by your rules.

Make it a level playing field and we can discuss any issue you want.

Are you really that afraid to have a moderated discussion?

Let me know if you change your mind.
All I did was ask you to dispute the assessment of my post. Can you or can't you? Really, I am interested. Dispute what she stated, which I generally agree with. "I am all ears." (RP)
Old 04-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #304
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I'd be happy to moderate. I have a decent familiarity with Robert's Rules, spent time in Toastmasters, and took PHI 201: Logic from an excellent prof.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #305
TheMercenary

Another good assessment... About the Tea Party and reporting of their actions

Quote:
PRESS MAN • ANDREW FERGUSON

Teatime at the Times

The tiny corner of the New York Times empire where David Barstow works is called the investigative unit. The name has an impressive urgency to it, like the title of a TV spin-off—CSI: Times Investigative Unit. You can imagine guys in Weejuns and khakis getting a hot tip and springing into action, yanking their tweed coats off the backs of chairs and shouting something irreverent and ironical over their shoulders as they bolt for the newsroom door.

Perhaps a new “torture memo” has been leaked; maybe a politician has committed an act of creative accounting on Supplement B (3) subpart vii of his financial-disclosure form. Or maybe a large number of Americans way out there in the land beyond the Bronx have been caught holding political opinions that are dangerously bizarre. TIU is on the case.

These strange-thinking Americans, loosely roped together as the Tea Party movement, sent David Barstow on his most recent investigation. His assignment lasted for five uninterrupted months and bore literary fruit, with a 4,500-word front-page story on February 16. “Tea Party Lights Fuse for Rebellion on Right,” the headline read—aptly enough, for a premonitory suggestion of bombs going off just over the horizon rumbled through Barstow’s story. To the astute Times reader lingering with the paper over breakfast, the hints were unmistakable.

There was the dateline, for one thing: Sandpoint, Idaho. The reader might rub his chin?.?.?.?-Sandpoint? Vaguely familiar...rings a bell...let’s see...Wait! God Almighty! Yes, that Sandpoint, notorious 15 years ago as the home of gun-slinging Randy Weaver and his Ruby Ridge survivalist compound, the headquarters of the Aryan Nation group of gun owners, a hothouse of gun-owning militias and paramilitary groups with their guns?.?.?.
Continues...

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/vi...times-i--15416
Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #306
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I'd be happy to moderate. I have a decent familiarity with Robert's Rules, spent time in Toastmasters, and took PHI 201: Logic from an excellent prof.
I propose a live "real time" discussion.....in the chat room.... just point me in the right direction.

No links to someone else's opinion, no time for google searches between posts....just responding to questions in our own words based on our knowledge of the issues.

We can decide on topics, rules, etc...but leave the specific questions to UT, with no advance notice.

What could be more fair?

Just need the other side represented!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #307
TheMercenary

Quote:
I propose a live "real time" discussion.....in the chat room.... just point me in the right direction.

No links to someone else's opinion, no time for google searches between posts....just responding to questions in our own words based on our knowledge of the issues.

We can decide on topics, rules, etc...but leave the specific questions to UT, with no advance notice.

What could be more fair?

Just need the other side represented!
No one gives a shit. Let's just meet in person. Bring your weapon of choice.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #308
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

It's not a threat. It's a SMILIE.

Hahahhahaaaa...a moderated discussion...great suggestion UT but it seems only one of them is willing.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:49 AM   #309
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
It's not a threat. It's a SMILIE.

Hahahhahaaaa...a moderated discussion...great suggestion UT but it seems only one of them is willing.
I am disappointed but not surprised.

Particularly in light of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
...I accept my responsibility in the exchange but will not waver from my convictions of my statements...
So much for having the courage of one's conviction! I only see a willingness to play by his rules where he is prosecutor, judge and jury of any opinion that challenges his.

Its easy have convictions when you set the rules....a little tougher when you are asked to defend your convictions on a level playing field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
So what is your solution?

Allow his propaganda to stand on it's merit?
Or willing to accept a fair and objective solution with an impartial moderator calling out any propaganda on either side.

Perhaps if I suggest that each side add another player (so as not to put too much pressure on Merc alone) ....a tag team match. I want TW, hell, he has been accused of poor communication skills so that should be fair.

Last edited by Redux; 04-09-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #310
Shawnee123

The other side's second person can be UG...kinda level the playing field.

Can't be me, I couldn't debate my way out of a paper bag.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #311
Redux

Quote:
The other side's second person can be UG...kinda level the playing field.
The battle of the Cellar stars!

The "Mouth of the South" and the "Manly Freedom Fighter" vs the sub-adult "Lily Liberal Demoncrats"

Last edited by Redux; 04-09-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #312
Shawnee123

I'm gonna be on Dancing With the Cellar Stars!
Old 04-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #313
Redux

Quote:
I'm gonna be on Dancing With the Cellar Stars!
Unfortunately, there will be no post-discussion dancing in the Cellar due to someone in the proposed main event having cold feet.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #314
TheMercenary

Quote:
Unfortunately, there will be no post-discussion dancing in the Cellar due to someone in the proposed main event having cold feet.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaa..... poor baby.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #315
TheMercenary

Taxpayers foot State Department's stiff liquor bill

Quote:
Months after President Obama urged federal agencies last year to cut wasteful spending, the U.S. Department of State paid $3,814 to fill an order of Jack Daniel's whiskey for gratuities at one of its many overseas embassies.

The booze buy wasn't unusual.

Last year alone, the State Department sent taxpayers tabs totaling nearly $300,000 for alcoholic beverages — about twice as much compared to the previous year, according to an analysis of spending records by The Washington Times.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...f-liquor-bill/