The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-25-2004, 04:46 PM   #31
jinx
Come on, cat.

When my son was about 2.5 he came to me frantic one after noon, waving his hands around and screaming "thatswhyIputastacioupmynose" over and over. Freaked me right out, but I calmed him down and tried to look up his nose and see the pistacio. I couldn't.
So, I called jim at work and had him come home and take us to the ER. Once there, they tried about a half dozen times in various ways to get the nut out my kids nose, to no avail. So then they try this angioplasty thing.... a long tube with a balloon on the end. The plan was to stick it up his nose past the nut, inflate it, and drag it back down. They get it up there, inflate it, and POP it inside my childs nose. Unreal. So they need a new one to try again but don't have any, have to go somewhere else in the hospital to find one. While we're waiting, doc gets antsy and decides he'd just try to do it manually with really sharp pointy hemostats. Fuck that doc! We stopped him. Eventually then did come up with a new balloon thing, and did manage to extract the object acording to plan. Turns out it was actually a large pistacio shell, not the nut.
The boy handled all of this like a champ I must say. Much better than I would have.
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #32
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Trying to be graphic-less as possible...

*lots* of dislocated bones (every finger on my hand at least 3 times, knees at least twice) It actually hurts more once it's put back in.

"marked" on the upper chest with a ka-bar knife twice. (the first time healed over too well (little scarring), so he did it again and put blackroot powder in the wound second time)

raped with a ka-bar (that was worse than childbirth, which I've done 3 times with no drugs, and 1 on the couch at home)

Those were the all-time most pain experiences I've ever had. I'm a big baby when it comes to pain. For the first time in my life, I have a cavity, and I'm positively DREADING going in to get it filled.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:16 PM   #33
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Every person has a different pain barrier.

for me it is very low.

very very low.

think.. paper cut.

i have ALWAYS been like this, even as a baby.

Some Examples:

On a premilinary date with my last long term BF, we went to a really nice restaurant, ordered great food, great wine spent a fortune and the FIRST bite i took.. i bit the side of my mouth. i bet some people do this quite a bit. but not me, i felt like i needed morphine and once i tasted the blood, i passed out in my garlic prawn entree and Tim had to caryy me out to the car (where i came to) and take me to the hospital, where i was given drugs for "shock".

after working in my 1st job a few months i was filing. i cut my finger on a piece of paper enough to bleed. the room span, my finger felt like it was on fire and i tell you no lie, my brain goes crazy and makes me think i'm about to die. one of my fellow staff found me semi concious on the floor and drgged me to the tea room for a cold wash cloth. i had the rest of the day off. shamefull but true.

there are a thousand more just like this.

my BF however once while motorcycling cross country caught his arm on a tree branch, severed 2 tendons and needing 25 stitches got back on his motorbike and rode himself to a hospital (1.5hours away) without even caring. this guy once lost his knee cap on a superman motocross jump and didnt even notice till he was walking in the gate at home! ... pull the hairs under his thighs though and he'll scream like a girl so go fiure.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:29 PM   #34
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Which brings up an important point. The same injury, to the same person, at two seperate times, can have different levels of pain.

Adreneline (or something like it) acts as a painkiller in moments of excitement (fight or flight, or the other f)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:14 AM   #35
novice
Ignorance is bliss and I'm orgasmic

Heck Wolf. I've just read the whole thread but I felt the pain your friend 'undertook'. Poignant and damn heroic.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 06:20 AM   #36
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No, OC wins.

give some meaning to this sad inhumanity
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 06:38 AM   #37
Griff
still says videotape

OC definitely wins, but I'll tell my tale anyway.

We were butchering a pig and were hauling hot water to scald the skin. I accidently tipped the kettle when I was pulling a bucket of water out. The water went down my boot and removed quite a lot of skin. ouch. That cost me an entire wrestling season.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:45 AM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
Trying to be graphic-less as possible... BIG SNIP (it's breakfast time)

I understand what he did although not why. The thing that I really don't understand is why he ever woke up again?
Old 02-26-2004, 08:46 AM   #39
jaguar
whig

Well somehow on sheer pain i think Silent wins. Did the guy survive??

For sheer what-the-fuck factor, i'm saying OnyxCougar.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:12 AM   #40
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Amazingly, the guy suffered only (only being relative here) a torn sphincter and ruptured colon.

They's showed ther surgery as they cut him open from crotch to sternum and removed the trunk in 6" lengths. They finally reached the end about 3" from the guys heart.
Luckily, it did not tear the membrane between his chest and abdominal cavity or rupture any internal organs.
Unluckily, he was filled with sawdust and twigs and had to live with an open abdomen for two weeks while they constantly flushed out the resulting infections. Plus he had to shit into a bag attached to his stomach until his colan and rectum healed.

OC, I assume this guy is somewhere far away now?
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:26 AM   #41
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
I understand what he did although not why. The thing that I really don't understand is why he ever woke up again?
Because at the time I wasn't ready to stand up for myself. I had such a low self esteem (and I was so friggin stupid at the time) that I believed him when he said this was normal for "girls like me" and that I was so ugly and fat that I would never get anyone else. He was good at the mind games.

He dumped me for a co-worker. I just went to California to live with my sister. I think sometimes, had I killed him (which would have been completely justifiable at the time), he wouldn't have killed Steven. So yeah, I carry that around, too.

Quote:
OC, I assume this guy is somewhere far away now?
Much of the story.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:52 AM   #42
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Fuck.
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:54 AM   #43
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Much of the story.
Dear God.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:57 AM   #44
jaguar
whig

OC has raised in a sense another point here too, emotional pain is even harder to quantify. Wounds heal, sometimes leaving scars and other fun oddities but so does emotional scarring and it's often far more debilitating.

Jesus, mary and joseph a bloody tree up the arse is something I had never really considered until this thread, thankyou cellar for enlightening me.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:05 AM   #45
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

It has been my experience that the physical pain heals, the emotional hurts are far harder to get over. Sometimes, words hurt more than any physical thing could.