The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #31
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The Old testament is out, except for Jews.
Well, plenty of people I've spoken with say Matthew 5:17 proves that statement wrong.

Quote:
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
I'm no biblical scholar, though, so I wouldn't know. This is the passage often used in defense of the actions and beliefs of the more "hard line" believers.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #32
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I always thought it was a place where alcoholics got together to support each other through thier recovery. I had no idea there was so much god in it. I suppose I'd have to spend a lot of money on a rehab clinic if I realized I had an alcohol problem and needed help.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #33
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
...The Old testament is out, except for Jews. ...
Where do you get that idea? Christianity is based on the old testament.

I'm disgusted when people take what suits them from their religion and dump the rest.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #34
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
...The Old testament is out, except for Jews
Cool, no Commandments! Sounds like a party.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Avoiding the question? LOL! Listen to you. I was the one who asked a question. An easy one for you, who is so "blessed" right?
So tell me, what are these blessings that you get that none of us sad secular beings are missing out on? The ones we can't get on our own?
Come on?
I threw you an underhand one here. Hit it out of the park! Easy one!
I made no claims of any blessing for me. The blessing is for you to whine how your being oppressed by religious people in lieu of a God to blame.
Quote:
Yeah... Dominionism and reconstructionist are my paranoid claims? Man, that is gold! Yayyyy!!!! I love my stalker!
No, your whining about how they are oppressing you, is paranoid bullshit.[/quote]

Half of Leviticus tells us who should be stoned and why. Some of the reasons are so silly you wait for it to tell you it is a joke, but you knew that.[/quote]Leviticus is some scary shit, ain't it. It also the history of the Jews a thousand years before Jesus. How has this anything to do with now, with Christians, or with Moslems? Or present day Jews for that matter, even the most conservative Jews only stone their women with diamonds.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #36
jinx
Come on, cat.

Yeah.... what do you mean out? It's the same god regardless. I mean, I realize there are 3 of him, but its still the same god. So, either god thinks stoning is a good idea - or god used to think stoning was a good idea but changed his mind. Which is it?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #37
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
But that is what AA is. Take out the religion out and there's nothing left.

Don't criticize AA. It has helped countless alcoholics (including a family member) gain control over their addiction. If an alcoholic is not comfortable with the 12 steps then they are free to seek support elsewhere. Its not like they have a monopoly on addiction treatment.
I am free to criticize what the numbers show does not work.
AA is a cult.

Jesus stated those that did not follow his path should die and supported slavery, those out too?
Cherry picking and making it up as you go along must be fun.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 05-07-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #38
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Your will is what you need, not religion.
My undestanding of AA is, you pick your higher power. Anything to get you on the road.
Will power. KZr drink a bottle of castor oil an keep saying. I'm not going to shit. See where your will power is then!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #39
rkzenrage

That means nothing.
Not the same as saying I am not going to take a drink today.
My will power has been fine with that.
The AA line of "real" and "not real" alcoholics is a joke. Just a way for them to cop-out of their failures and, worse yet, other's successes.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #40
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I had no idea you had to believe in God if you wanted help from AA. Now if anything is discriminatory that would be surely?

"Oh you don't believe in God? Well you'd better just stay an alcoholic."

Doesn't seem too Christian to me.
First of all it's not true that you must believe in God. They require that you believe in a higher power than yourself, but you don't have to define it.

Discriminatory? Are fraternities and sororities discriminatory? It's a private organization, they can accept anyone they want.
Remember rkzenrage bitching about the government saying people aren't allowed to smoke in a bar (private business) even if the owner wants them to be allowed. But now he wants AA to take anyone that wants to join, even if the owner doesn't want them.

Doesn't sound very Christian? How in hell did they get dragged into this? AA is not a Christian Organization.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #41
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It's not? Well, it sounds very confusing to me now and I'm not trying to be a smart arse here. I seriously just thought AA was where people got to gether to support each other. I don't know much about it to be honest because in truth, it's not a big thing over here. We're all alcoholics so I don't think there's enough room for us all in therapy. We're also a godless bunch over here, so any treatment programs there are definitely don't focus on any kind of 'higher power' other than will power and inner strength etc. All those things that we're all blessed with but lose track of from time to time.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #42
rkzenrage

What the hell is a higher power if not a god?
I have never bitched about a bar saying people cannot smoke if they don't want.
I bitch when the government won't let a private business let people smoke on their private property when they want them to. ANYONE with private property should be allowed to let anyone smoke on their property.
AA gets government money, people are forced by the courts to go to that religious cult, go AND COMPLETE IT. That is called government induced indoctrination.
There is no higher power.
Again... why could that not just help me without the superstition stuff if they were not about religion?
I take it you have never read the Big Book?
It is WAY about religion. No one said Christian, though that is what the founders wanted.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 05-07-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:48 PM   #43
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Yeah.... what do you mean out? It's the same god regardless. I mean, I realize there are 3 of him, but its still the same god. So, either god thinks stoning is a good idea - or god used to think stoning was a good idea but changed his mind. Which is it?
What part of ancient Jewish history that has no bearing on anyone today don't you understand? Nothing in the Old testament is rules for Christians or moslems, nothing. And the Jews have pretty well relegated it to a record of their trials and tribulations.

It's amazing so many people harp on the Bible when they have no clue about how it is structured or applies to different groups. You've been watching too many old movies where the one suspendered, one tooth, moron says, "The Bible says an eye for an eye". Yes it does, so fucking what? It doesn't apply to you or me, or anyone else today. That's Hollywood, get over it.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Remember rkzenrage bitching about the government saying people aren't allowed to smoke in a bar (private business) even if the owner wants them to be allowed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
I have never bitched about a bar saying people cannot smoke if they don't want.
I bitch when the government won't let a private business let people smoke on their private property when they want them to.
Read for comprehension.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #45
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
AA gets government money
Show me the money.
I think your getting into what people twist most programs into? Some AA groups won't let dopers in. Why? Because of a few narrow minded SOBs that alway have to fuck things up. They read the big book like some assholes read the bible.