The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 02-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #31
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

People who like this sort of thing will find that this is the sort of thing they like.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #32
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't think this forum welcomes newbs well all the time.

Some people here are very quick to pass judgement and it would seem they can be very unkind.

Besides that, I find this forum to be an interesting source of news, particularly the trivial stuff that is found on iotd usually.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #33
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
People who like this sort of thing will find that this is the sort of thing they like.

you know, T.....you're a baaaad motherfucker

that is more suessian than Dr seuss.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #34
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
you know, T.....you're a baaaad motherfucker
Yes, his leadership of The Cellar is monumental. It's almost . .. dare I say . . . presidential?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #35
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Yes, the Cellar is an intriguing farrago, hodgepodge, potpourri, melange, assemblage, medley, mishmash, and pastiche of POVs, ideas, and insights that are difficult to find or express elsewhere, and it's unique because it encourages discussion from any quarter. I belong to other sites and I enjoy them, too, but the Cellar is a banquet for the brain.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #36
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Heh heh no LJ, I will not take credit, that was actually a bastardization of an Abe Lincoln quote. Little-known I think, and I *almost* got it right.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #37
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It's in the cookie file, you could just refresh the page a few thousand times until it comes up.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I knew that... but only because I was reading an article about Lincoln last night.

I think sweetwater's "the Cellar is a banquet for the brain", ought to go on the masthead.

Or, the Cellar is a banquet of brains, would attract the zombie crowd.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #39
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Or, the Cellar is a banquet of brains, would attract the zombie crowd.
I have the anti-zombie shotgun ready.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:34 AM   #40
Tulip
Professor

I like it here although I don't seem to fit in too well. :p I still go to other forums, but they aren't quite "hang-out" forums. They are more specialized forums. Each forum has a different community and serves a different purpose.

Yeah, y'all don't welcome newbies well. But what I noticed is that newbies that just jump right in are readily accepted. I was a bit intimidated when I first came here but stayed because of the level of intelligence and openess (never seen such cuss words used in any forum before!). I also stayed because of Undertoad. He seems very mature, intelligent, and even witty! hehe....a forum with such an admin, I wanted to hang around to see what it has to offer.

Oh yeah, there's never a boring moment. There's always some kind of drama going on. :p
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:28 AM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't fit too well? Why do you think that?
I don't remember anybody stealing your seat while you were in the bathroom, or spilling a drink on you.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:38 AM   #42
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The virtual landscape is ever-shifting. There are few landmarks, fewer solid institutions.

The Cellar is exactly that. It's a landmark in the virtual sphere, a permanent institution that has held its head high for almost 20 years. It isn't like any other community.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #43
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Yeah, y'all don't welcome newbies well.
They didn't exactly welcome me with open arms, either (I recall being asked what was in my medicine cabinet and bruce called me an unmentionable name; but then, after he got to know me, he became my sex slave!! but I liked the people here so much, they made me laugh, I just stayed---much to their chagrin!

This place has saved me many times. I love it here.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #44
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Thank you Tulip, that's most kind of you.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #45
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Are we harsh to newbs? I've been thinking about this since yesterday.
I honestly don't think so. although I accept I am in the minority. Which makes me feel odd - there's something I'm just not seeing.

I've joined forums where they expect you to stop by a special thread, tell them all about yourself, then the mods and perhaps one other person welcomes you (whoever you are, you could be John William Gacy for all they know, everyone gets told hello, and how interesting they sound - clowns you say? How interesting!)

Then they go about the usual forum business of pretty much ignoring you and responding to the in-crowd.

At least we don't pretend we're going to faint with bliss just because someone new has turned up.

And anyway, unless someone writes something that completely blows me away in their first week, why should I act as if they do? I wouldn't do it in real life. A new starter at work, yes - I would take them under my wing. Show them where the toilets are, explain the kitchen rules, lend them my Tippex. But I expect to have a relationship with them that will last months if not years. And they tend to turn up at the same time I do every day.

If I'm at a party with my friends (ahem, we're pretending here) I don't spend all evening talking to the only person there I don't know. I don't ignore them certainly, that's just bloody rude, but unless they happen to be one of my all time heroes I won't press myself upon them.

We've had some newb rows over the time I've been here. But in general I think the Cellar is the way I found it - cautiously polite and more likely to shake your hand than spit in it.

Last edited by Sundae; 02-22-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Just some missing letters
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote