The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 11-27-2004, 07:06 PM   #31
ThreadHijackMan
Changing the flow

Jesus Christ. Lotsa work for me around here.

Anyway......

Has everyone thought about how they might volunteer for their candidate or party in the coming elections?
ThreadHijackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 07:12 PM   #32
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Rich, you're backpedaling in your backpedaling. You called the 100M number an "interesting figure" and then casually failed to find evidence to support it. I produced evidence to support it. I'm not sure why the question doesn't end there, except that now we need to discuss the Famine of the Great Depression.
It seemed to me that he found the number interesting, then compared Communism to other political systems.

He also noted, "Communism is probably more susceptible to famine than capitalism, but I'm sure there were deaths during the Great Depression in the US due to famine."

Well, there was that Dust Bowl thing during the Great Depression, which could be considered a famine of sorts. And wouldn't ya know it! People did die of starvation during the Great Depression! (Source)

You're welcome.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 07:14 PM   #33
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadHijackMan
Jesus Christ. Lotsa work for me around here.

Anyway......

Has everyone thought about how they might volunteer for their candidate or party in the coming elections?
Hey, I got a great idea for you! How about you go play in some traffic! Believe me, you'll be much more useful in that capacity.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:22 PM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
And wouldn't ya know it! People did die of starvation during the Great Depression! (Source)

You're welcome.
Wow, did that take a lotta work? Two-thirds of the way down the massive page:
Quote:
Although few people died from starvation,
Wow, that makes that 100M figure look ridiculous! Good goin guys, the US IS evil after all! It sure looks like the moral equivalence of herding college professors into the gulags!

I'm sure famine numbers aren't included in the genocide numbers. I'm sure if we included them it would be even more obvious.

As for this:
Quote:
Considering that the two most populated areas of the world were the USSR and China, communist countries, then on a death per 1000 people chart, the non-Communist regimes might match the Communist.
If I can get these cites you can too. Run the numbers, see what they say.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 07:37 PM   #35
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Wow, did that take a lotta work?
Not at all, actually. You might have been able to find it yourself if you hadn't been so busy taking Rich's comments way out of proportion.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:11 AM   #36
jaguar
whig

I wonder how one would go about adding up the various crimes against humanity perpertrated by all the African, Asian and South American dictators and bloodthirsty tyrants the US installed and supported as a bullwalk against Communism, not to mention the 3-4mil dead in Vietnam alone. From Pinochet to Saddam to Idi Amin to list is long and bloody. While going though that list lets not forget the Shah who survived with strong US backing, amongst other things his secret police SAVAK, friendly chaps, had a habit of inserting broken glass and boiling water in the rectums of dissidents that liked the idea of self-rule. Sounds strangely familiar.....

Last edited by jaguar; 11-28-2004 at 04:15 AM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:19 AM   #37
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
list is long and bloody.
Yes Jag, but the real issue is that .........Kerry lost, to some bumblefuk dumbass that everyone with two firing brain cells was absolutely sure would get his ass handed to him in a plastic bag.

Say whatever you want. He and the Brett girl wont be living in the oval office in the next 4 years.

Thank God for HUGE favors.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 05:57 AM   #38
jaguar
whig

The continuing gradual crumbling of the american empire as it is slowly raped by the top 0.001% (not that kerry would have done much) is a relief but whether communism is responsible for more deaths than the US is more what I was referring to. However plenty of people expected him to win, myself included, it's difficult to overestimate the stupidity of the US electorate, it wasn't a shock.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:44 AM   #39
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
..... it's difficult to overestimate the stupidity of the US electorate, it wasn't a shock.

Good to hear from you again, old pal.

Any comments on the recent Australian election? Big upset there too, from what I heard.

People are just "springing up dumb" all over the Fing place.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:00 AM   #40
jaguar
whig

Not unexpected, Howard is an astute political operator and Latham just didn't have the credibility, Howard also used some rather low smoke-and-mirror stuff which sadly people fell for. But hey, I said I don't beleive in democracy for a reason.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:35 AM   #41
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
... but whether communism is responsible for more deaths than the US is more what I was referring to.
It is quite obvious that the US numbers are far lower than communisms. That doesn't excuse our record but we have to consider scale. Pol Pot alone kicks our butt.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:20 AM   #42
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
He's was very cozy with the Vietnam comms, which is one of many reasons he lost.
I'm amazed, the war has been oven for 30 years and it seems the majority of the people in this country still don't get it.

It was a stupid idea. Not even a noble mistake, just stupid from the git-go.
To compound the problem it was run badly.....by politicians.
Our solders...excuse me...war fighters....are the best, hands down, but putting them in a conflict that they aren't allowed to win, is stupid.

Slang, get a job. :p
Old 11-28-2004, 10:00 AM   #43
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

And then people view Kerry as traitorous for not holding a grudge against the people he was sent to kill.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 10:11 AM   #44
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang
Yes Jag, but the real issue is that .........Kerry lost, to some bumblefuk dumbass that everyone with two firing brain cells was absolutely sure would get his ass handed to him in a plastic bag.
Huh??? What are you talking about, Slang? Or are you just trying to be funny again?
Old 11-28-2004, 10:31 AM   #45
jaguar
whig

I just noticed it's the year of the monkey, if course bush was going to get re-elected.