The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 10-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
I'm not as upset with her at this point as I am my parents.
But you're always upset with your parents.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #32
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
But you're always upset with your parents.
Incorrect.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #33
Nirvana
Back in 10

Be happy for your sister, dance at her wedding and eat cake! What you think unfortunately is irrelevant in this situation and making a stink about it is the wrong way to go! My sister married an asshole, I knew she was going to marry an asshole but nothing I could have or would have said would deter her. Its not even worth telling them "I told you so" years later when they divorce [because he was an asshole] Don't hurt your sister's feelings, you will regret it the rest of your life. Be happy for her!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #34
morethanpretty

So I guess I'll update:
I told her my fears, she listened, like she always does, and we worked shit out, like we usually do. The wedding is March 13, so f*ing soon and I need to get on the ball about losing weight. I promise I'll still be...voluptuous though.
I will be her maiden of honor, so I also have to get on the ball about getting her wedding shower, and hopefully a surprise bachelorette party arranged. If anyone has helpful hints I would appreciate them by the way (remember she is the opposite temperament of me).

There will be NO dancing at the wedding. Thank you baby Jesus, because I've never really danced in my life and am not planning of making a public show of myself anytime soon.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #35
morethanpretty

Oh, and I'm still annoyed as fuck with my parents, more because of their now "healthy chocolate business" which sounds like a load of BS, but they will not quit trying to push the nasty crapp on me.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 AM   #36
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Healthy chocolate? As in carob, or something even more evil?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #37
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
Oh, and I'm still annoyed as fuck with my parents, more because of their now "healthy chocolate business" which sounds like a load of BS, but they will not quit trying to push the nasty crapp on me.
killing you with love?
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Healthy chocolate? As in carob, or something even more evil?
Healthy chocolate.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #39
jinx
Come on, cat.

The higher the percentage of cacao, the better it is for you. So Hershey's milk chocolate isn't the good stuff...
Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #40
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
So Hershey's milk chocolate isn't the good stuff...
Does anyone think that Hershey's chocolate is the good stuff? Might as well eat wax.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #41
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

MoreThan, I'm happy you've squared things with your sister, and despite what you think about her wedding you are rising above it to give her what she wants.
I wish like anything I had such an open and honest relationship with mine - I never told her what I felt about her husband to be, it was all unsaid and she resented me. And has ever since, really. We lost open communication around that time anyway, but I'm pretty sure she just found me intolerable after a certain age.

Of course you can dance, darling.
And if you don't know so now you have it to look forward to.
All you have to do is not to care. I hated it til I was about 23, have loved it ever since.

I'm afraid the things you've asked advice on are American traditions, so I can't help much.
One thing I found worked, and might do for your "bachelorette party" (we say hen night, but that is a very different thing!) is to go around the table or group and ask everyone to say something positive about your sister. If it's not a sit down meal, then maybe ask for slips to be filled in prior to arrival (anonymous if necessary) which will be read out at the party. It's a lovely thing for a bride to hear a stream of positive comments.

Otherwise - games, games, games. No idea what this party is s'posed to be like, but I know any group of people unknown to eachother need ice-breakers. If you're intested I have a stack (from sales conferences) or you can find them on-line. Even a game of Consequences can get people going.

Keep smiling, chick. I know you're concerned, but you love her and ideally this will owrk out as the best day of her life.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #42
morethanpretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
The higher the percentage of cacao, the better it is for you. So Hershey's milk chocolate isn't the good stuff...
I know dark chocolate can actually be good for you, but to my parents the brand of chocolate they're selling is better than everything else and its the cure for all ailments. That is why its just BS.
It wouldn't be so annoying if they didn't get mad at me for not eating it. It really does taste disgusting too though.

Last edited by morethanpretty; 11-30-2009 at 02:35 PM.
morethanpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #43
morethanpretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
MoreThan, I'm happy you've squared things with your sister, and despite what you think about her wedding you are rising above it to give her what she wants.
I wish like anything I had such an open and honest relationship with mine - I never told her what I felt about her husband to be, it was all unsaid and she resented me. And has ever since, really. We lost open communication around that time anyway, but I'm pretty sure she just found me intolerable after a certain age.

Of course you can dance, darling.
And if you don't know so now you have it to look forward to.
All you have to do is not to care. I hated it til I was about 23, have loved it ever since.

I'm afraid the things you've asked advice on are American traditions, so I can't help much.
One thing I found worked, and might do for your "bachelorette party" (we say hen night, but that is a very different thing!) is to go around the table or group and ask everyone to say something positive about your sister. If it's not a sit down meal, then maybe ask for slips to be filled in prior to arrival (anonymous if necessary) which will be read out at the party. It's a lovely thing for a bride to hear a stream of positive comments.

Otherwise - games, games, games. No idea what this party is s'posed to be like, but I know any group of people unknown to eachother need ice-breakers. If you're intested I have a stack (from sales conferences) or you can find them on-line. Even a game of Consequences can get people going.

Keep smiling, chick. I know you're concerned, but you love her and ideally this will owrk out as the best day of her life.
I don't know what the American tradition is really either. I didn't even know there was a difference between a bachelorette party and the wedding shower!
The bachelorette party (if we can pull it off) will probably be just the female half of the wedding party and we'll go to a spa, get some primping, ect. Nothing wild like strippers or drinking.
Those are great ideas for the wedding shower Sundae. Thank you so much for suggesting the ice-breaking games, I don't know most of her other friends, so it will be good to get to know them. I am interested in the games you have if you don't mind emailing them or something? I'll PM you e-mail.
I also love the "tell her something positive" idea too.
*Hugs* SG

I'm sorry about your situation with your own sister. That can be depressing. I would suggest its not too late to have a heart to heart with her. That you tell her you want to get past the resentment and have an open relationship. Its not too late until one of you dies.
At least if she turns you away, you'll know you did your best and the issue is her hangup, not hers.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:44 AM   #44
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

No, my sister is very closed.
The last heart-to-heart we had was when I broke down and told her I might be leaving my husband. Her first question was, "Where does that leave Samuel?" as my husband was his Godfather.

That was 10 years ago, and apart from the HUGE family row we had on the eve of my brother's wedding, we've only communicated superficially ever since. Mum smoothed that one over because of the need for us to be united the next day, but I did manage to get in a few home truths. Talk about burning my bridges. I have a rotten temper.

Anyway - yes!
Please feel free to PM me your email, or we can start a new thread?
There must be plenty of people here who know ice-breaking games.

In fact why not start a new thread generally entitled Help Needed for Wedding Shower - it might draw some irregular posters out of the woodwork? And there's nothing Dwellars like more than a chance to impart wisdom

You're doing great btw.
Keep smiling.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #45
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Heh. I was just debating this topic about how it may be "too soon" to ask young adults to make major life decisions about who they want to settle down with within the perspective of adult development. Judging from the way this thread is working out...Wrong again. oooh snap!