The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #31
rkzenrage

Because they can.

Someone calls me a cracker or honkey, I say "thank you", or some equally cheerful/sarcastic remark.

My race is nothing to be proud, or ashamed, of... it is just luck and is neither here-nor-there.

It does not affect the black community, any more than the other comedian calling the drunk female heckler a cunt... she was being a cunt, so he called her one. It was not an indictment on all females...
People can be such idiots.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 12-08-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #32
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065
Thats what makes America such a great country - its "within your rights" to piss on a bible or burn our flag. Oh, just don't do it in front of me, cuz its "within my rights" to kick you're effin' ass - and gladly!
No it isn't.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #33
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
No it isn't.
No it's not a right, its more like... a privilege
Old 12-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #34
rkzenrage

Really? Is that why I was passed-over for a scholarship at Yale because they had to give it to a black kid with half my GPA and no community involvement?
Same goes for two promotions at jobs I had... I felt so "privileged" LOL.
If you don't deserve the job or placement, you don't deserve the job or placement. Getting it without the credentials just gives credence to those that would say that you, and those "like you" cannot do things for yourself.
I was a member of a, predominantly, black college club (CAVE) and I still, occasionally speak at it. We, as a group feel this way, because it is true.
Affirmative action harms race and sex FAR more than it could EVER help it.
I have seen it in the workplace. Someone given a job with less credentials and experience than others who posted for it due to affirmative action get NO respect, which is what they deserve... a shame to, it is not their fault... though I would not take such a position knowingly.
Being white is not a privilige, that is a myth... we are not the majority any longer.
Race is an accident, nothing more, as I said previously... if one feels insecure about it, that is on them.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #35
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I don't think he was saying that being white was a privelege..less I've read it wrong, I thought it was flagburning?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #36
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
I don't think he was saying that being white was a privelege..less I've read it wrong, I thought it was flagburning?
Yeah easy there rk, I was talking about how I would consider it a privilege to smack someone who decided it was funny or whatever to literally piss on a Bible in front of me. It has nothing to do with being white.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:42 PM   #37
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Burning the flag that is sacred to some is not the same thing as desecrating a text that is sacred to some.

Some folks have some pretty major sacrifices tied up in that flag. Sacrifices they made on behalf of others. To desecrate the flag is, to them, offensive, disrespectful, insensitive and unappreciative.

But, any sacrifices made in the course of one's religious convictions accrue to one's self. With one possible exception. Going strictly by the Bible's own words, no one can save the soul of another.

People who choose to express themselves by burning the flag should find a more articulate way to express themselves. Just because freedom of speech permits it does not mean its the best way to make your point. It never made sense to me why anyone burned the flag to protest, for example, the Vietnam war. If their message was "America SUX" didn't they really mean to say America is Great but you (the politicians) are screwing it up? If so, I think a more appropriate protest might involve using the flag to hang some of those war criminals who sent our fathers and sons to fight and die to fulfil their misguided vision.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:09 AM   #38
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
People who choose to express themselves by burning the flag should find a more articulate way to express themselves. Just because freedom of speech permits it does not mean its the best way to make your point. It never made sense to me why anyone burned the flag to protest, for example, the Vietnam war. If their message was "America SUX" didn't they really mean to say America is Great but you (the politicians) are screwing it up? If so, I think a more appropriate protest might involve using the flag to hang some of those war criminals who sent our fathers and sons to fight and die to fulfil their misguided vision.
An interesting approach Beestie, please tell us more.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:31 AM   #39
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
Sorry, I misunderstood... flag-burning is a privilege, you are correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Burning the flag that is sacred to some is not the same thing as desecrating a text that is sacred to some.

Some folks have some pretty major sacrifices tied up in that flag. Sacrifices they made on behalf of others. To desecrate the flag is, to them, offensive, disrespectful, insensitive and unappreciative.

But, any sacrifices made in the course of one's religious convictions accrue to one's self. With one possible exception. Going strictly by the Bible's own words, no one can save the soul of another.

Or... it shows that those in office are turning those sacrifices into "nothing". They are taking what the flag, and those sacrifices, means into something else, something wrong... and that that flag, and their sacrifice, is burning. Actually doing it, being the only way to show that.
The things this current, and recent, administrations, have taken the sacrifices of past generations and shit on them, and, while doing so, the flag.
Would I like to see that, hell no. Would I understand what it was showing and means, yes.
Problem is, those who the symbolic gesture is meant for, never see it for what it means, they don't see the sickness they inflict on their nation and the freedoms they steal, they only see greed and more power that they want.
No, I do not think they want what is best... only actions show what is in someone's heart.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:34 AM   #40
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Micture In The Arts

You guys remember Serrano's Piss Christ?

As I recall, the plastic crucifix is submerged in a jar of the artist's micture and blood.

Would I, as an atheist, be willing to do a performance piece by micturating on a bible or koran? Hmmmmmm. I'll have to think about that. What if those kids did that bible thing on stage as a work of "art?"

Just throwing that out there.

How ya doin, Flint old boy?
Old 12-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #41
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss62
...Would I, as an atheist, be willing to do a performance piece by micturating on a bible or koran? Hmmmmmm. I'll have to think about that....
Being an athiest, it would have less meaning.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:48 AM   #42
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Meaning

Quote:
Being an athiest, it would have less meaning.
Perhaps. And the more I think about it, I would probably have to get a Torah, an I-Ching, some Hindu texts, the Book of Morman (or a real Morman)...it would be a lot of stuff to piss on, that's for sure. But if I did it from a good height and had some help with the lighting, it could be a good show, for as long as I pissed anyway.

What about several atheists in sequence?
Old 12-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #43
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
snip~ It never made sense to me why anyone burned the flag to protest, for example, the Vietnam war. If their message was "America SUX" didn't they really mean to say America is Great but you (the politicians) are screwing it up? ~snip
The message was, nationalism is the cause of the war (Vietnam) and a flag is the most recognizable symbol of nationalizm...... also the most flammable.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:50 AM   #44
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Perhaps. And the more I think about it, I would probably have to get a Torah, an I-Ching, some Hindu texts, the Book of Morman (or a real Morman)...it would be a lot of stuff to piss on, that's for sure. But if I did it from a good height and had some help with the lighting, it could be a good show, for as long as I pissed anyway.

Or all at once. Have a "religious literature piss party". I'm sure you can get help from some zealots who are into golden showers.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:

Rather than wondering what to piss on, maybe you should be wondering who you're pissing off.
You could loose your head.