The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #31
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
did i turn the back air conditioner off what time is it did i remember to send that letter to that one student and why is everyone so damn demanding should i be different what was that one song that show was so funny tonight chuckle my head hurts what's that noise outside did the ambulance come for the old man next door again do i have to go to work tomorrow is there a way to get out of it like malaria or something i wonder what ever happened to the muscovy duck i really like him remember that neighbor who called him a good old duck tomorrow i really start dieting and working out or maybe i better hit the club the drawing is up to almost 5 grand why am i who i am wouldn't it be nice to be well adjusted and not lonely but then again i like being alone and doing what i want when i want it sure would be nice to win the lottery so i could do volunteer work that i liked if i felt like it or go fishing or swimming but first i would hit a fat farm in a resort so i feel better and what car would i buy did i pay the gas bill i can't believe they haven't shut it off one time i got the prettiest pink roses did that bitch really say that today how come i can't sleep i'm really trying to sleep i'll count backwards from a hundred really slow one hundred ninety-nine, ninety-eight, ninety-damn that heartburn shouldn't have made tacos and i should give up the coffee wonder if it will rain i hope so i love rain i'm a strange girl perhaps i should change what am i going to wear tomorrow did i do laundry remember when jughead told archie he was a knob no that never happened ...

Something like that. Free association.
I thought this was funny. Then I thought, "what if Shawnee actually talks like this?" I'd have to hit her on the head with Maxwell's big greasy hammer.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #32
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Just some deep thoughts that came to me late at nite, 1:01 AM...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
did you ever think anything you didn't say?
Not to raise old hurts. Just to say again how people might have more to them than you first think.

And for me, my version of Late Night Thoughts was always called Two O'Clock in the Morning Thoughts. And went from being worrying and distressing when I was well, to panic and suicidal when I was ill. I have learned not to trust mine (because of my mindset I mean) but sometimes a laptop and time difference mean I express them in a less ephemeral way.

My Mum's mantra, when I was rigid with upset as a child, was always, "Shush, nothing you can do about it right now. Sort out it tomorrow." That and Susan Coolidge's "Morning brings counsel". Both comfort me still.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #33
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

I'm siding with xoBruce on the "left side" thing - not that anyone asked, mind, but that there is a standard way to reference the right and left sides of a car. If it helps, substitute port and starboard: no matter which way you are facing on a ship or aircraft, those sides are labeled the consistently. Unless maybe it's a ferry, one of those pushmipullyou kinds. Ah well, exceptions and rules and all that.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #34
sweetwater

My late night thoughts ramble and jump like drunk goats, punctuated by occasional "What's that? Did you hear that noise?" thoughts or "Guess I'll go read another chapter."
Old 07-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #35
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
I Unless maybe it's a ferry, one of those pushmipullyou kinds. Ah well, exceptions and rules and all that.
I never thought of that. I wonder if they have a port and starboard side that the crew knows. Some have the pilot house off center.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #36
HungLikeJesus

I should have mentioned: this thread brought back to you by the SDRTP.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #37
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Port and starboard do not change, as far as I know there are no exceptions.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #38
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

huh. I really think the way Shawnee describes...I don't SAY it out loud (and I don't think she does, either), but my thoughts tend to run like that. I can read a profound, life-altering book and then be pissed off at some small thing two seconds later. I TRY to grasp the last gasp of serenity...but it always eludes me. Just like that brass bell you're supposed to ring when you get a big tip. I never get a big tip.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #39
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Port and starboard do not change, as far as I know there are no exceptions.
Yeah, but port and starboard are based on the locations of the bow and stern. What if the bow and stern are not fixed in location, like with a double-ended ferry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Double-ended ferries have interchangeable bows and sterns, allowing them to shuttle back and forth between two terminals without having to turn around. Well-known double-ended ferry systems include the Staten Island Ferry , Washington State Ferries , several boats on the North Carolina Ferry System , and the Lake Champlain Transportation Company. Most Norwegian fjord and coastal ferries are double-ended vessels. Some ferries in Sydney, Australia and British Columbia are also double-ended. In 2008, BC Ferries launched three of the largest double-ended ferries in the world.
Which side is starboard?
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #40
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Here's my late night thought: Crap. I have to work tomorrow. I'd better log off.

But I know I'll probably lie awake surfing a stream of consciousness for a while yet. Damn that metaphor doesn't make a lick of sense does it? Wait a minute, what the hell do I mean "lick" of sense? Crazy talk. He's my brother. Go lick some sense into him. No, wait. Sense? that's a metaphor. I think. Hell. I'm lost now. Notice that even when I rant it has grammar. Freak. Sleep, coming soon?

The madness has begun.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #41
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Yeah, but port and starboard are based on the locations of the bow and stern. What if the bow and stern are not fixed in location, like with a double-ended ferry?

Which side is starboard?
Easy answer is on the right, but ???
I am familiar with the double ended ferries, but I do not know which is which. The terms port and starboard mean more than just the particular side of the boat, ferry or ship. The term also refers to the engines and other things on the vessel. They have to be designated one way or the other. Then again they may do it differently on these boats.

The other thing that comes into play is that the different sides of the vessel have different colored lights used to designate which way it is traveling and other important factors. I can see how this is easily overcome by having both colored lights on both sides of the ferry and changing them dependent upon which way its going.

I still believe that there is a designated port and starboard though.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #42
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I still believe that there is a designated port and starboard though.
I agree that the crew working the boat need to be able to use a common set of terms to describe certain parts of it, and designated one side as port and one side as starboard would be an easy way of doing that. They could say that the pilot house side will always be port, and the other side will always be starboard, but that means that an outsider won't be able to look at the boat and tell you which is which.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #43
sweetwater

From WA State DOT, page 2:

81.2 INTRODUCTION
This Section contains the Contractor Design and Provide general requirements for the Vessel’s steering gear and deck machinery.
For WSF Fleet-wide Standardization purposes, End No. 1 of the Vessel shall always be considered the bow, and this designation shall delineate port and starboard, fore and aft wherever they are addressed in the Technical Specification.

So that's how WA state does it. That's good enough for me! And I'm not asking how they decide which is End No. 1 and why there is not a more creative name for it. [/end quest]
Old 07-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #44
sweetwater

On schedule for tonight's Late Nite Thought parade: Why did I get 2 different answers to the same question from the same entity? This just in from Washington State Ferry Information Agent via email: Even on open-end Ferry boats have set standards to avoid confusion.... The right side of the vessel is always starboard, regardless of direction, as long as you are facing the same direction the vessel is traveling.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #45
HungLikeJesus

What happens when it stops? Then there is no starboard, I guess.