The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #31
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Why not?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #32
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

My experience has been that the systems are not compatible.

Let me give you a broad example. During many years in the military I had the pleasure of doing a few US/UK exchanges. The ability to get things done in the UK military was amazing, logical, easy. Sgt Chappy just calls up his bud over in mainland UK and things happen. In the US we have layers and layers of systems that we have to go through to get the same things done. Why? Because it is HUGE. We have more tanks at one post in Germany than all of the tanks in the UK. Our heath care system is entrenched in years of doing things a certain way. We can't do anything on the cheap here, nothing. To many hands in the pot. To many special interest groups with to much to lose. And just like in the UK military things are much easier to do when the layers are not there to get in the way of change. Costs are everything. How much tax do you guys pay to maintain your health care system? Our tax system is not set up the same way. We have to change much to fix our health care system. I am not sure that our system of how we lobby in Congress lends it self to the change we would need to make to fix health care, and so far ALL of the political electorees have refused to change that. There are so many pieces.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:04 PM   #33
DanaC

*Nods* Okay. Good answer.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #34
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Trying to come up with a list of bits that would need change or in some way being affected by a change to a socialized system:

Tax system
Pharmacy Corps interests
HMO's interests
Insurance interests
Congress funding by special interests
Doctors Lobby
National Hospital organizations
Medicare
Mediciad
State sponsored insurance programs
Private insurance corps and role with employeers
Retired persons organizations
Trauma Care networks
Issues with illegal aliens
Unions
Old 08-18-2007, 08:17 AM   #35
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Overall, the researchers say, 18,314 people die in the USA each year because they lack preventive services, a timely diagnosis or appropriate care.
That works out to 1 in 16,381 Americans.

OMG BROKEN SYSTEM EVERYBODY PANIC
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #36
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

got one o' them new fangled calculaters to gimme a % on that? Just for a lil perspective.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #37
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wonder how many of those people, "lack preventive services, a timely diagnosis or appropriate care", by choice or ignorance?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:04 PM   #38
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I think that the whole idea of a NHS in America is going to fail because we here have a huge sense of entitlement and there is no system anywhere here that "gives away" anything that isn't fraught with abuse.

Make heath care "free" and everyone will flood doctor's offices with the slightest complaint.

The only way I can see this happen is to nationalise the entire health care system. Make all doctors employees of the government. Set salaries for them. Provide government malpractice insurance as a perk. Regulate care standards. Make all pharmacies (and pharmacists (chemists to the Brits)) part of the new system so that payments can be controlled and tracked. Controls and limits set by beaurocrats. Fiefdoms and political power can be set by congressional decree.

I just don't see this happening. Not yet anyway.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #39
DanaC

Quote:
I think that the whole idea of a NHS in America is going to fail because we here have a huge sense of entitlement and there is no system anywhere here that "gives away" anything that isn't fraught with abuse.

Make heath care "free" and everyone will flood doctor's offices with the slightest complaint.
The same arguments were made against the NHS. Indeed, for a little while that was the case: then the novelty wore off and people settled down to not wanting to go to their doctors unless they absolutely had to.

Quote:
ake all pharmacies (and pharmacists (chemists to the Brits)) part of the new system so that payments can be controlled and tracked.
Pharmacies are private businesses. They claim back the costs from the NHS when they present the prescriptions they've processed. They also sell medicines. There are times when a medicine is cheaper to get over the counter, or indeed, is simply something you wouldn't need to go to a doctor for. Pharmacies are usually thriving businesses.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #40
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
Oh, yeah. I love going to the doctor's.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You aren't the problem, it's the same people that just love to chat with telephone solicitors that will jam the Doctors office on a regular basis.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #42
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

There are lots of people who love to go to the doctor's. It's the attention, for some people it's the only time anyone gives a damn about whether they live or die, so they crave it. Imagine, you work your 8 hour shift in basically the same shitty little dead end job you've had for the last 20 years. You know you have no chance for advancement because you don't have the skills to move up the ladder, and you know that others also know this. The most exciting thing in your life is the occasional gathering of people in your neighborhood around a little grill while you ponder the fact that you'll be doing this until you experience the joy of moving into a retirement house. Then one day you enter a magical realm where people, very knowledgeable, powerful people, spend all their time talking with you and paying attention to how you're feeling. They care about how you're doing and express sympathy for your pain,when you haven't been getting these attentions from other people in your life.

Shallow, self absorbed, whiny, bossy, or even just stupid people start indulging themselves even when nothing is really wrong.

There are also people who honestly think that every little bump, scrape, and ache they experience deserves the attention of an M.D, but I'm lumping these people in under 'all of the above'.

I spent this summer interning in an ER, I've seen the type.

Last edited by 9th Engineer; 08-19-2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling error
9th Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #43
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
There are lots of people who already have 'free' health care from the government in some form, or from their employer...I wonder how many of them do that.

edit: oh--missed 9th's post.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #44
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Free health care would bring the working class to the doctors a lot more since they do a lot of physical work and don't have the best health insurance so they won't go to the doctor unless they have too.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:03 PM   #45
busterb
NSABFD

Hell I have free health care. Just give your rich uncle a few years, maybe the best ones, of your life. BTW. It's better than it was a few years ago. IMHO.