The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #31
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
WHIP is it her art form or her high success in commercialized pop music that you like so much? I am thinking the later because this is what you mention. In fact I don't see that you like her only admire her success?
Since i discovered her, an hour hasn't gone by in my waking state that i'm not listening to her.

Quote:
(edit) Never mind. I see you said she was like crack cocaine.
without the negative side effects
Old 03-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #32
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I find her creative and intriguing, but, that said, she'll never make a dime off of me. With the saturation in popular media she has achieved at this point, I see all of her I need to, and her music isn't something that I will ever find myself needing on a desert island.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #33
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I don't like that song they play on the radio. I think it's annoying. Other than that, I don't know anything about her...if we're comparing her to Madonna I'll have to say...meh to both.

I think this is catchy:

Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #34
W.HI.P
Free

Old 03-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #35
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I don't understand why anyone would call themselves "Lady Gaga"
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #36
W.HI.P
Free

Saying or listening to the word "Gaga" releases endorphines in the brain.
The only explanation science has come up with is that its the name of the highest entity/diety in human perception.
Unlike other gods or Goddesses, this one actually does something for you.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #37
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

*snort*

Cite, please.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #38
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

What I want to know is if WHIP typed that with a straight face.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #39
W.HI.P
Free

Video Gaga: Over One Billion Served!
Posted Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:27pm PDT by Chris Willman in Stop The Presses!

Back in the day, the McDonald’s chain used to update its signs every few years to offer a running tally of how many burgers they’d sold, before giving up and just leaving it at “billions and billions served.” Lady Gaga may soon have the same problem. She’s the first artist whose videos have been viewed on the web more than 1 billion times, according to a video analytics company called Visible Measures. By their count, “Poker Face” is her most popular video, having been dealt up 375 million times, followed by “Bad Romance,” which has been streamed 360 million times, and “Just Dance,” which has boogied across 273 million monitors.
In other words, she crossed the billion-videos-streamed mark with just three clips. That's not even counting fresh tallies yet to come in for “Telephone,” her nine-and-a-half-minute on-screen teaming with Beyonce, which ought to stoke several hundred million women-in-prison fantasies all by itself. And Gaga’s just getting started, having released only an album and a half to date. Any bets on how few years it’ll take till she’s a video-view trillionaire?
Once upon a time, conventional wisdom would have suggested that the path to becoming America’s sweetheart would not involve eschewing warmth for provocation and wearing a succession of dangerously futuristic hats, masks, glasses, and shoulder padsthat would all poke any suitor’s eye out. But guess what? While everyone was concentrating on Idol and complaining about pop culture getting blander, the avant-garde won. By Visible Measure’s metric standards, America’s strangest star has become its biggest. If only Andy Warhol were here to savor the moment… and to appreciatively rub Gaga’s pointy white headdress.
If you’re curious who Lady Gaga’s biggest online competition is, well, Visible Measures has more stats for you. As far as “franchises” go—which is to say, anything that can be seen online, musically oriented or otherwise—the Twilight series is in second place, after racking up 980 million views of its viral-video clips. As fellow musicians go, Soulja Boy is No. 2, having had his work steamed 860 million times.
Wait—Soulja Boy? Really? Yeah, that’s what we thought, too. But here are some interesting statistics. Of his 860 million total views, 722 million are for “Crank Dat,” which according to Visible Measures is the most-watched viral video of all time. In other words, a whole lot of people really, really wanted to watch that one SB video… and then apparently decided that just one was enough.
After “Crank Dat,” the next most-watched music videos are Beyonce’s “Single Ladies,” with 522 million views; Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” with 444 million; Gaga’s aforementioned “Poker Face” and “Bad Romance”; the Timbaland/One Republic collaboration “Apologize,” seen 355 million times; and the clip of Susan Boyle making her debut on Britain’s Got Talent, which has been called up online a mere 348 million times.
(There are lots of non-musical artistes also on Visible Measures’ most-watched chart. “Dramatic Gopher” is at 191 million views, Chris Crocker’s “Leave Britney Alone” monologue is at 134 million, Miss Teen South Carolina's wisdom has thrilled 127 million fans, and that video of the little kid high on nitrous oxide after visiting the dentist is at 13 million. All of them no doubt sulking about their one-hit-wonder status, although we'd like to see the gopher try his hand at comedy.)
The beleaguered music industry can be grateful we’re discussing anything having to do with current music and using a word bigger than “thousands”… although a billion actual sales would be even nicer than a billion unpaid glimpses, of course. Anyway, congrats to Lady Gaga, the first person since Carl “Billions and Billions” Sagan to make the B-word a little bit thrilling again.

http://new.ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/...illion-served/
Old 03-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #40
skysidhe

You adore someone at their zenith. Why is she at her zenith? It's because she has been marketed for mass consumption. The corporations that have sunk money into her are counting on the sheep to follow and sink millions into their coffers.

You have not given me one good reason why YOU like her except to post press releases of her awesomeness. I am not a sheep. I don't follow the crowds or hysterical admiration. Pure gifted artists who receive recognition are far and few between. What is it that makes her so gifted besides having a passable voice and wearing funny clothes?

IF she wasn't all that the news media say she is and didn't sell tons of c/ds, that make McDonald's blush, would she have any value at all for you? If the answer is no then it's just vain glory.

Besides all of the media hype why do you like her?

When I like a song or an artist it maybe they have an awesome voice or they include classical arrangements or they have a guitar virtuoso or it tells an epic tale or maybe it is just fun to sing along with. Maybe it evokes emotions , you know something like that. What's personal about it? Fame isn't a personal trait or gift. It is just a by product.

btw... I want to get to know you WHIP as a part of this community. I could care less what the papers say. I want to know what you say. So if you feel I am pushing your buttons that's my motivation not hostility.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #41
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
You adore someone at their zenith. Why is she at her zenith? It's because she has been marketed for mass consumption. The corporations that have sunk money into her are counting on the sheep to follow and sink millions into their coffers.

You have not given me one good reason why YOU like her except to post press releases of her awesomeness. I am not a sheep. I don't follow the crowds or hysterical admiration. Pure gifted artists who receive recognition are far and few between. What is it that makes her so gifted besides having a passable voice and wearing funny clothes?

IF she wasn't all that the news media say she is and didn't sell tons of c/ds, that make McDonald's blush, would she have any value at all for you? If the answer is no then it's just vain glory.
My favorite artists are
1)Kate Bush
2)Cocteau twins
3)Tori Amos
4)Enya
5)Tactile Gemma

I don't like pop, never did.
Never liked the beatles, madonna or micheal jackson.
I never felt anything for any of these cheap pop artist's music or for their fame.
So, yeah, its got nothing to do with the media or sales.
I'm simply overwhelmed that the masses are as obsessed with the same artist i'm obsessed with for once.
As you can see by my list, i don't listen to the music of the masses.
The only real popular band that i was ever heavily into was genesis...specifically, gabriel's genesis, which at the time was considered underground, despite the albums selling as they did.
Again, when gabriel left and the band turned to cheap pop, i was disgusted.

Quote:
Besides all of the media hype why do you like her?

When I like a song or an artist it maybe they have an awesome voice or they include classical arrangements or they have a guitar virtuoso or it tells an epic tale or maybe it is just fun to sing along with. Maybe it evokes emotions , you know something like that. What's personal about it? Fame isn't a personal trait or gift. It is just a by product.

btw... I want to get to know you WHIP as a part of this community. I could care less what the papers say. I want to know what you say. So if you feel I am pushing your buttons that's my motivation not hostility.
Gaga does have an awesome voice.
She's got a way of releasing her voice, projecting a complete freedom and carelessness.
It captivates me, and certainly alters my emotions, and brings me to a very nice place.
I'm in a constant bliss while listening to her.
I'm sure a lot of people would express themselves in this way in reference to her.
Perhaps its her passion that she's projecting that i'm recieving.

I could imagine if someone was heavily into cyndi lauper, how they might not mention it in public as to avoid any embarresment.
This is not quite the same with lady gaga.
I'm well aware of the amount of hate she gets from the people who don't listen to her and don't quite get why she's so popular, but i could really care less about them being bothered at me liking her.

This is no madonna or britney.
This is a rare talented artist that is not gonna be going away.
Put some headphones on, take a good listen, you might just like it....perhaps too much.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #42
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Wow. Something I agree with WHIP about!
Not Lady Gaga - who I do respect as an artist and as an individual (no, I don't believe she is being packaged, just being sold) but on the previous favourite artists.

Not 100% sue on Enya - that would be like eating Pop Rocks for breakfast, dinner and tea. Okay occasionally though. And I don't know Tactile Gemma. But I'd be interested in looking her (?) up thanks to the others on the list.

I like Lady G, I'm just not as smitten as WHIP.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #43
skysidhe

Whip I understand something now so thanks for sharing. Great post.It was nice to hear your opinion.

and your line up of artists, not my genre but they are good imo.
Pleasant to my ears

I'm listening to Tactile Gemma right now.

oh and ps. I do like Peter Gabriel

Last edited by skysidhe; 03-28-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: ps
Old 03-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #44
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
My favorite artists are
1)Kate Bush
2)Cocteau twins
3)Tori Amos
4)Enya
5)Tactile Gemma
Progressive breathy serious chicks. Please check out Ivy, if you aren't angry about a French accent. (If it helps, she's from the real France.)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #45
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Progressive breathy serious chicks. Please check out Ivy, if you aren't angry about a French accent. (If it helps, she's from the real France.)
My late girlfriend was from Lyon, i love the french accent.
Very pleasant tune, sorta like a cross between nico and Europe's sandra.

Quote:
Whip I understand something now so thanks for sharing. Great post.It was nice to hear your opinion.

and your line up of artists, not my genre but they are good imo.
Pleasant to my ears

I'm listening to Tactile Gemma right now.

oh and ps. I do like Peter Gabriel
I hope you took a listen to Tactile Gemma's "quite quiet".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuYBmXrR8Vs
Both "Quite Quiet" and "Bad Romance" have this kinda deep demonice growl in them...its very unique.
Both female vocalists have voices that are in complete contrast to each other.
Witch chanting and extreme vocals are heard throughout the rest of the album, that might just be a little to weird for most listeners.
For me, the only tactile gemma album ever released is one of my favorites of all time.

Quote:
Wow. Something I agree with WHIP about!
Not Lady Gaga - who I do respect as an artist and as an individual (no, I don't believe she is being packaged, just being sold) but on the previous favourite artists.

Not 100% sue on Enya - that would be like eating Pop Rocks for breakfast, dinner and tea. Okay occasionally though. And I don't know Tactile Gemma. But I'd be interested in looking her (?) up thanks to the others on the list.

I like Lady G, I'm just not as smitten as WHIP.
With enya its more about the first album "Watermark" which was just a dream from start to end.
From then on, it was a song or two of every album that was amazing.
Cursum perficio,The memory of trees, Na laethe na moige, Boadicea, Ebudce to name a few.

"Dead can dance", with their 8 albums would be my #6 on that list.
A band worth discovering for someone who has never heard of them.