The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-13-2004, 08:58 AM   #31
Griff
still says videotape

I was reflecting on my reaction to this whole thing and I think I stumbled upon my core problem with media hysteria. We've been looking at locus of control as it relates to kids with learning disabilities. There is a tendency among these kids to believe that the things that happen to them are completely unrelated to what they're doing. The classic example is the kid that is always late to class. It's always the fault of other people or the system. It's never that he's stopping to see the girlfriend, get a soda, go to his locker etc... Anyway this is called an external locus of control, it breeds despair and subverts personal responsibility attacking the very core of our American value structure. I think that when media builds up these external terrors they are really attacking free society. We start looking to lawmakers to solve problems that can be addressed by the individual.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:24 PM   #32
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Yup...self-responsibility is the key to everything.

I blame the Christians, who started this whole "divine forgiveness" thing.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:06 PM   #33
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

It's not just Christians. ANY responsible, mature adult, regardless of faith (or lack thereof) takes personal responsibility for their actions. Let's say I'm Christian, if I screw up, *I* screwed up. God didn't MAKE me screw up. That's what free will is. No where in the bible does it say "You aren't responsible for screwing up." It does say that you're forgiven if (and when) you do. But it never says your screw ups aren't your own fault. It also says you have to repent, which means be truly sorry for your mistake and no do it again. It's not a simple matter of saying the words. It's meaning it in your heart.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:11 PM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's the fault of the Christian Church's teaching you can buy forgivness for anything.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:28 PM   #35
mrnoodle
bent

Forgiveness and consequences can live together quite well. The whole Christian faith hinges on the fact that while there are earthly consequences for our actions, the eternal consequences were paid in advance by Jesus. The only caveat is, you have to redeem the coupon. God's not going to come up and shove it under your door.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:42 PM   #36
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

One thing I see is a tendency of people to drag out the stocks and the pokers and such when something like this happens.

Bad idea. All that does is provide motivation for the sick fuckers to continue doing it.

Prosecute them, judge them and then punish them.

Take the guilty ones and line them up front to back 10 at a time and one bullet from this http://exit3.i-55.com/~suit/big_one/ ought to do it. 1:10 bullet to kill ratio. Cost effective, quick, and final.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:47 PM   #37
God
Not half the God I used to be

Quote:
Originally posted by mrnoodle
God's not going to come up and shove it under your door.
That's true. I use e-mail now. God has to keep up with technology, it makes me more relatable.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:50 PM   #38
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter
Cost effective, quick, and final.
Nice. Hangings in the public square would be good, too.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:16 PM   #39
mrnoodle
bent

State judicial system: "...but with loud shouts they insistently demanded that he be crucified, and their shouts prevailed. So Pilate decided to grant their demand. He released the man who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, the one they asked for, and surrendered Jesus to their will." -- Luke 23:24

God: "...if a man schemes and kills another...deliberately, take him away from my altar and put him to death." -- Exodus 21:14

I say let God have 'im.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:10 PM   #40
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by mrnoodle
Forgiveness and consequences can live together quite well. The whole Christian faith hinges on the fact that while there are earthly consequences for our actions, the eternal consequences were paid in advance by Jesus. The only caveat is, you have to redeem the coupon. God's not going to come up and shove it under your door.
Fine, kill the fucker and let God handle it from there on.