The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-04-2004, 01:09 PM   #31
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I would respectfully disagree. You do it subconsiously and don't realize you do it. You only stop for a pedestrian if the only alternative is to run them over. If they are trying to cross the street, and are in the crosswalk, but are not directly in front of you, you don't stop for them. Also, if you have a green light, but are turning, and a pedestrian is in the crosswalk with a walk signal, you don't stop for them unless you are about to run over them.

You will disagree. But you are wrong. ALL drivers do this, including you.

Car drivers always force pedestrians into a game of chicken, when the pedestrian will only be yeilded to if a failure to yield to the pedestrian will cause the death of the pedestrian and imprisonment of the driver.

The only exception is when there is a red light for the car. But then the car is stopping for the red light, not for the pedestrian.

I do not even do this subconsciously. I have a basic respect for human life pedestrian or not. I drive slower when there are a lot of pedestrians in the area. In the eyes of the law if you hit them you are at fault. It would feel awful to clip them even if they weren't in a crosswalk. A lot of my car safety comes from riding bicycles, motorbikes, mopeds, and of course being a pedestrian and driver with common sense. Honk Honk. Get off the road.
flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:11 PM   #32
marichiko

Driving is learned by doing, like anything else. I am a firm believer in the "outta-my-way I'm getting on the damn interstate" technique, myself. This involves accelerating to 90mph and cutting across all lanes of traffic to achieve the far left lane within 5 seconds from start to finish of manuever. One then remains in the far left lane traveling at top speed for as long as one is forced to travel the stretch of interstate, leaving it as soon as humanly possible. I am a firm advocate of back roads, preferably unpaved ones. Following dry stream beds into the wilds is best of all.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:23 PM   #33
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
I am a firm believer in the "outta-my-way I'm getting on the damn interstate" technique, myself. This involves accelerating to 90mph and cutting across all lanes of traffic to achieve the far left lane within 5 seconds from start to finish of manuever. One then remains in the far left lane traveling at top speed for as long as one is forced to travel the stretch of interstate, leaving it as soon as humanly possible.
Ohhh you're one of those fun drivers. We should get together and own a highway sometime!

Going back to people who piss me off: People who shove down your throat the fact they're soon going a 3-week vacation to somewhere warm, sunny and lazy just as the standard cold, wet and nasty winter weather starts to settle in. Now, 'scuse me, I'm gonna strangle my co-worker with my phone cord.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:12 PM   #34
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingnews
An old girlfriend of mine, who is from the St. Louis area, nearly crashed my car and killed us when she just had no clue how to enter or drive through a jughandle.
What in the heck is a jughandle? -- Also from St. Louis.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:23 PM   #35
staceyv
Lecturer

people that ask me a question and then don't believe me when I tell them the answer. What, do they think, I just pulled it out of my ass? What did they ask me for if they don't trust my answer????
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:24 PM   #36
Cyber Wolf

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
What in the heck is a jughandle? -- Also from St. Louis.
You may know it as the loops of a cloverleaf... they're the sweeping loops in those big interstate entrance/exit ramps.

...unless that's a Jersey term that just totally passed me by.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Old 11-04-2004, 07:17 PM   #37
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nope, jug handles go the opposite way.
If you're approaching a cross street where you want to make a left, you get in the right lane and just before the cross street you make a right turn on the jug handle. It arcs left to the cross street where you make a left then cross the street you were originally on, at the light.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:31 PM   #38
crossfire
The White Rapper

Nextels

I work at a company that relies on the walkie talkie feature and yes, i believe it is only nextel that does the walkie talkie thing. The advantage of the walkie talkie thing is you don't have to necessarily wait for someone to pick up and call you back, but it is rather annoying, both conversations and the chirps
crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:19 PM   #39
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Meargeing , try driveing a 65000 lb truck , 2 ways to do it ,
1) slowly and carefully watching for traffic ,
2) i weigh more than you so I go were i want when i want ( the i will squach you like a bug if you get in my way MOTHER FUCKER !!!!)

people that anoy me , well the number and scope of FUCKTARDS in the world that piss me off boggle the mind , but i try HARD to go by this saying " Never argue with an idiot , They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experence "

Breath Zippyt , BREATH !!!!!!!! Its all good !!!! Go to your happy place ....
Old 11-05-2004, 12:58 AM   #40
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire
I work at a company that relies on the walkie talkie feature and yes, i believe it is only nextel that does the walkie talkie thing. The advantage of the walkie talkie thing is you don't have to necessarily wait for someone to pick up and call you back, but it is rather annoying, both conversations and the chirps
Actually, it's not just Nextel - the patent on the technology is up, and a number of other carriers with GPS/GPRS service are starting to test the technology in certain markets.

So, the chirping phones from hell will be everywhere.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:30 AM   #41
Cyber Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Nope, jug handles go the opposite way.
If you're approaching a cross street where you want to make a left, you get in the right lane and just before the cross street you make a right turn on the jug handle. It arcs left to the cross street where you make a left then cross the street you were originally on, at the light.
Oh THOSE. Wow, I was way off the mark there. We know them down here as 'fly-over' ramps.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:58 AM   #42
jaguar
whig

On the pedesterian thing - one of the thing about london I like is that we (pedesterians) win by sheer numbers, when people start crossing on a busy saturday on oxford street it doesn't make any damn difference if the lights change, people will just keep crossing and there is nothing the traffic can do. Of course the near-constant virtual gridlock in the inner city makes it easy enough to cross anyway.

Babies should not be allowed on planes. If they are, they should be in small soundproof boxes with their parents. I've done a couple of 20+ hour flights with screaming kids, it shouldn't be allowed under the human rights act.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:06 AM   #43
breakingnews
Q_Q

Funny - you'd think pedestrians would win here in NYC, but I'll be damned if any cab or truck driver ever stopped to let a woman with a baby stroller cross the street.

Other people who piss me off - folks who insist on doing dumb things in crowded, tightly packed spaces. Here in NYC, I just want to scream when I see things like ... someone riding a bike outside of the bike/run lane in Central Park during rush-hour traffic (extremely crowded) not wearing a helmet and using one hand to TALK ON A FUCKING CELL PHONE. During the summer, I was riding in a fast-moving paceline (about 20 mph) along the edge of the bike lane/in the left-hand car lane, when I saw a girl doing this. Of course she hit a rut, swerved and nearly took out a whole mess of riders/runners with cabs flying past at 50 mph.

And of course this happened again a few weeks later, except this guy was riding IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. I moved over and headed straight at him, and gave him the finger before swerving out of the way; he lost control and dropped his cell phone to grab the handlebars. His phone was crushed by another biker. The end justifies the means, eh?

Other instances include: a guy on a bike using one arm to tow a girl on rollerblades (who clearly was not very good at skating), taking up a sizeable portion of a very crowded West Side walkway on Sunday afternoon; a guy with a baby stroller running outside of the running lane (in the car lane) IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION during rush-hour traffic.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:41 AM   #44
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

I saw a guy the other day that was too hip to carry his baby with 2 arms. He looked like he was carrying a sack lunch. When does "cool" cease to be cool anyway? This brings me to my point. Some people are just too hip and need to examine reality a little more closely. I don't like people completely immersed in pop culture and this (so called) modern age. Making cool look ridiculously stupid. I think most of the above statements apply to this message.
flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:45 AM   #45
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippant
I saw a guy the other day that was too hip to carry his baby with 2 arms. He looked like he was carrying a sack lunch.
Wait. What? I don't think I'm understanding this statement. I carry my kid with one arm all the time, but there's no way that could appear to be carrying a sack lunch. How exactly does that work?
perth is offline   Reply With Quote