The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-28-2005, 09:29 AM   #31
warch
lurkin old school

Your Tax dollars at work!
Check to see if you have a community based org that helps small business start up. I know there are some here in MN. or the small business admin. I bet you'll definitely find some classes and networking. You may even find a loan or....gulp...a grant.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:34 AM   #32
warch
lurkin old school

http://www.sba.gov/financing/sbaloan/snapshot.html

Maybe the Loan Prequalification program or the Mirco loan program....
Old 01-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #33
Brett's Honey
whatever

Radar, your local library probably has information on getting free government money to start a small business. Our library here has the Matthew Lesko books and five or six others. There are lots of websites on the subject, but its really frustrating sifting through all of the ones who eventually tell you to send them money for the info.

And along with all of the other folks here, I wish you good luck! The responses you're getting from everyone here is a good example of why I've read this website almost daily ever since I discovered it. Just a lot of really nice people!!
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:37 PM   #34
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

The problem is I'm morally opposed to all of these government programs. If I take that money, I'm part of the problem instead of the solution.

Thanks for looking out though. I'd be more willing to do a business loan that I pay back, than so-called "free" money. I like to earn my own way.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #35
Brett's Honey
whatever

Ohhh....
Like I said - a lot of really nice people!
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #36
Kitsune
still eats dirt

The problem is I'm morally opposed to all of these government programs.

Well, you're morally against paying the taxes that fund them, too, so why not just consider it getting back some of that money that you think is rightfully yours, eh?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:22 PM   #37
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Because just like Social Security, to actually fix the problem, someone--or a group of someones--is going to have to take a hit. Pay in, and not take out. Radar is volunteering for this role because he believes fixing the problem is a worthwhile goal.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #38
warch
lurkin old school

Or you could chose a program that just "secures" your loan through a financial agent, so they are willing to take a risk on you. You pay it back with interest.

But youre right. It would be hard to continue your pure Libertarian rhetoric if the man helps you build your dream job.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:42 PM   #39
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I don't have "rhetoric" but yea, I'd be willing to pay back a loan with interest. In fact I'd pay up to 20% with my current situation. I am willing to earn my way.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:07 PM   #40
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
The problem is I'm morally opposed to all of these government programs. If I take that money, I'm part of the problem instead of the solution.

Thanks for looking out though. I'd be more willing to do a business loan that I pay back, than so-called "free" money. I like to earn my own way.
You're overlooking the fact that you are always allowed to pay back that gumint money even if they don't require it.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:22 AM   #41
Griff
still says videotape

There is also the view that we need to suck as hard as we can on the teat to draw the life blood out of the State... My Dad thinks that is the Bush plan.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:57 PM   #42
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Good luck to you, radar. I've become suddenly unemployed (it's all part of the how I got to the nuthouse story) made a total career change, and haven't looked back since. My friends who stayed in computer-ish jobs have spent several years being unemployed.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you success.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #43
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
I don't have "rhetoric" but yea, I'd be willing to pay back a loan with interest. In fact I'd pay up to 20% with my current situation. I am willing to earn my way.
Dude, there are credit card companies and banks who would crawl over broken glass to give a 20% credit card/loan to a guy like you (someone who is responsible with credit). And they aren't hard to find. I don't understand the problem (what am I missing).

Especially a guy who just got permission from Quintin Tarantino's lawyer. Take that email to the bank Monday morning and you'll have a check Monday afternoon! Every day you don't have that cart is a day you are losing sales!

Last edited by Beestie; 01-29-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:17 PM   #44
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Entrepreneurship is not attractive to banks. I have a friend here who is unable to get a loan for his own beginning business venture. He has significant savings. He owns his home. He has plenty of collateral. His business plan is sound.

Why isn't he getting the loan?

He doesn't have a current paycheck.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 11:42 AM   #45
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Entrepreneurship is not attractive to banks. I have a friend here who is unable to get a loan for his own beginning business venture. He has significant savings. He owns his home. He has plenty of collateral. His business plan is sound.

Why isn't he getting the loan?

He doesn't have a current paycheck.
I can top that one...

I owned a gaming store back in '94 and I was needing a small, $40,000, loan to do a move and expansion. I had been open for a year, was almost operating in the black already and, here's the kicker, $16,000 in gold as collateral. They said they weren't sure of the store's long term viability and that they didn't want to have to worry about converting the gold to cash should I default...