The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #4606
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

As usual, Clod:

SG...do you think your migraines are stress-related? Do you have a history of migraines? Sending you well wishes: hope you feel better.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #4607
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I was all ready to defend teachers buying supplies for their students until I read the 'communal bin' Do all teachers do this at that school? Is the administration aware of it? I would feel ok about a communal bin if the parents were made aware of it AND the kids allowed to keep their own things. I would be making some phone calls. I am annoyed for you.

lol @ monster.

Sundae I hope you feel better soon!
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #4608
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I'm going to call the doctors tomorrow and ask for a telephone consultation just to be on the safe side, because we're scheduled to leave at 09.30 Monday morning, so it's kill or cure over the weekend.
Can't you get an emergency appointment? Sometimes you need to be less British Four days is a long time, i hope you get it sorted soon
Old 09-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #4609
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
Do all teachers do this at that school? Is the administration aware of it?

I'm sure the administration knows.

It's a great school otherwise, with great teachers, and does it really make sense to get yourself labeled as one of "those" difficult parents as the school year is just beginning? We're trying to build good relationships with the teachers for our kids sake, and don't want to rock the boat at the very beginning. It's just not worth it. But I'm happy to bitch about it here.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #4610
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I've been trying to kick away a depression, but it hit me hard today. I can't make mysekf do the things I need to do. So another day and then another week goes by without them getting done and I sink further. I do some of my work stuff (council). But this summer I wanted/needed to get some serious research done: I've done a few little bits. Some preparatory reading: I've read a handful of articles and a couple of chapters, sporadically without really taking detailed notes. My house, is in a state. Has been for like a year. I can't seem to make myself get started on clearing it, and bagging up shit to dump. At best I can force myself every so often to wash up and chivvy the place a little. But I am sinking under the junk. Mum offers to help (of course) but I don't want her to. I want to do it myself I just can't find the motivation to start.

I keep waking up and not wanting to get up come day time. I manage to force myself out of bed by thinking about checking responses on here and the Big Finish forum. I then can't make myself pull away and do anything else. The idea of doing anything else just brings to mind the ever growing list of other stuff, I feel exhausted and can;t face it.

My eczema is flared and that's making me ratty. hair trigger temper. Then I lose my rag with Pilau and feel guilty. I suspect it's partly hormonal because I don't usually feel this bad. Today I just have this constant want to cry feeling.

I am broke. totally broke. I owe my landlord most of my first scholarship payment (due 1st Oct). So every time i think about doing the house I get this sinking feeling of guilt and insecurity.

I know at some point soon the money Dad left me wil come through. But my hopes for a Summer research trip to kickstart the project have not happened. Every month it's been 'due in about 6 weeks.'. I have lost hope of getting the research trip done this side of Christmas. There's stuff I can research in the meantime, but I keep coming up against a wall on the courts martial records: each time I find a deserter, his regiments records are held at Kew gardens and aren't digitised. I can't afford to go to Kew gardens.

I'll probably be feeling much better later. That's usually how it works. I know this isn't for ever. But just today I have had enough.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #4611
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
I was all ready to defend teachers buying supplies for their students until I read the 'communal bin' Do all teachers do this at that school? Is the administration aware of it? I would feel ok about a communal bin if the parents were made aware of it AND the kids allowed to keep their own things. I would be making some phone calls. I am annoyed for you.

lol @ monster.

Sundae I hope you feel better soon!
The communal bin thing is pretty common, I think. Especially in cities. For example, this was the list for my son, last year when we lived in a suburb of Denver. Notice they ask for 2 spiral notebooks with 90 pages. At the end of the year, he came back with one spiral notebook (not one I bought) half full. Where did the other notebook go? Most of this stuff was dumped in a communal bin, never to be seen again:

GRADE 2
1 small pointed scissors (Fiskars)
12 glue sticks
48 Sanford America #2 pencils, sharpened
2 big pink erasers
1 water color paint set
1 large box of tissues
1 box Crayola crayons(48)
4 bottom pocket folders (with 3 brads)
(one each red, blue, yellow, & green)
1 box colored pencils (24 sharpened)
1 3-ring notebook (1” rings)
2 spiral notebooks (90 pages wide-lined)
1 supply box- (cigar box size)
BOYS – 1 container of disinfectant cleaning
wipes
GIRLS – 1 ream of white paper

Please choose 1 of the following items to send with your child:
1 - box of gallon size self sealing plastic
bags
1- box of dry erase markers
1 - anti-bacterial hand soap

Now that we live in a small town much further North, my son goes to a different school. Here was his list for this year. I managed to spend less than 30.00 on supplies this year. To my surprise, none of his stuff got dumped into a bin (except the kleenex and ziplocks). The teacher just asked them to put all their supplies in their desks:

Third Grade Students:
48 pencils (non-mechanical) marked with name
2 large boxes of Kleenex
1 box of 24 crayons (minimum)
1 set of 8 colored pencils (minimum)
1 ruler with inches and centimeters
1 pair scissors
2 glue sticks
1 bottle of white Elmer’s glue
1 small pencil case (small enough to fit in desk)
8 sturdy pocket folders
3 spiral notebooks – WIDE line, white, 8 ½ x 11
2 yellow highlighters
2 block style erasers – no cap erasers
1 black felt tip pen
1 set colored markers
1 four pack dry erase markers (expo brand)
Girls – 1 container antibacterial wipes
Boys – 1 box quart/sandwich size ziplock bags

Still, not quite 84 pencils.

At his old school, parents were encouraged to bring in additional supplies and even food for kids who didn't have enough. I have also noticed a huge gap between the level of knowledge and responsibility expected at his new school compared to the old one. The new one has higher expectations, so he is experiencing a steep learning curve right now.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #4612
Shawnee123

Have I said this before:

Fuck Capital One: fuckity fuck fuck fuck they are the WORST. Payment shows online...fine. Two days later my bank shows payment processed...available credit still not reflecting. If this isn't some kind of fucking way they get a few extra pennies I'll be goddammed. I'm going out of town and I don't NEED THIS SHIT.

The best-laid fucking plans of mice and fucked up corporate America bullshit.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #4613
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Amen to that.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #4614
Shawnee123

I didn't mention my bank showed cleared funds YESTERDAY. Why do I have to fight these people every single time?

Thanks for the amen, I needed that.

I'm so worried about getting stranded due to their incompetence, I've done everything right.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #4615
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Can't you just call the bank and talk to a real person?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #4616
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Have I said this before:

Fuck Capital One: fuckity fuck fuck fuck they are the WORST. Payment shows online...fine. Two days later my bank shows payment processed...available credit still not reflecting. If this isn't some kind of fucking way they get a few extra pennies I'll be goddammed. I'm going out of town and I don't NEED THIS SHIT.

Don't let them do this to you, Shawnee. Call the bank. Ask for the bank manager. Tell them how disappointed you are and that you expect him to resolve the issue. If he balks, maybe expressing a desire to document your issue for the Attorney General or the state banking commission would help.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #4617
Shawnee123

Then they'll cancel my card without cause, as they CAN do, because I'm causing trouble and they're not making money off me because I pay my balance off completely almost every month. I can't afford that to happen right now: I'm leaving TODAY.

I sent a message via my log-in to C1, asking pretty please advise when funds will show available. I love kowtowing to the devil.

It's not my bank's fault. Last time C1 conferenced me and my bank who said "yes the funds are there." My bank is local. I know these people. C1 is corporate evil.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #4618
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I've been trying to kick away a depression, but it hit me hard today. I can't make myself do the things I need to do. So another day and then another week goes by without them getting done and I sink further. ....
Oh Dana! I do know how you feel. I am overwhelmed by my mother's alarming deterioration and I've been ignoring a huge and constantly growing pile of stuff-to-do for weeks now. Today I grabbed both of the 12" high piles of paper and dealt with each bit of paper that I could deal with immediately (loads and loads of file or bin, a few phone calls and cheques to write). When I'm this desperate I don't prioritise or sort, I just traipse back and forward with each bit of paper, putting it away and then looking at the next one, which often has to be filed in the same damn place. Inefficient? yes. But otherwise I just end up shuffling the papers again (and again and again).
Start in one corner - the nearest spot. Or I'll come and help you!!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #4619
Cloud

FINALLy talked to someone at my car dealership. They don't know what's wrong with it. After "misplacing" it yesterday, and after putting in $500 of "preventive maintenance" my nice little car which ran perfectly is now fubared, and they're "running tests."

So, yeah, I'm more than irritated. And it's coming out in my posts.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #4620
Pie
Gone and done

Two identical embedded systems running bit I-DEN-TI-CAL code are running... differently.
I swear I'm gonna break something.

Tags
swiss