The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #46
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Brianna I have no problem with you but as much as I really dislike ducky I am disappointed in your racial slurs against her. I am Asian, Filipino so I don't appreciate the careless "ching chong chank" slander you've been throwing around to insult her. Stick to content we needn't delve into racial makeup, please.
but it's ok to call people fat. just to be clear.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #47
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
but it's ok to call people fat. just to be clear.
and fag.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #48
freshnesschronic
Professor

I have no sympathy for fat people. Genetics what have you, but most of it is food addiction. That is a personal problem. Being of a specific race, is not something you can solve or choose.

I do not hate fags. I explained myself already.

But I'm not ok with racial slurs. Are you?
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #49
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

incoming
Old 06-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #50
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
I have no sympathy for fat people. Genetics what have you, but most of it is food addiction. That is a personal problem. Being of a specific race, is not something you can solve or choose.

because i seem to be picking on you, i'm gonna let the other fatties answer that little gem. oh, and no, i'm not ok with racial slurs, you plick.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #51
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm not going there.

If people want to believe I am getting away with something by being fat, rather than desperately unhappy and making my life 12 times harder then it's up to them.

Gluttony might be a sin, but obesity can make your life a living hell. And the worst hell is always self inflicted.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #52
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Making fun of someone's physical appearance is never in good taste and pretty much means that humor might not be for you.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #53
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Gee fresh, you really are young aren't you? If you were not, you wouldn't say half the things you do. Seriously. Do some reading. Find out for yourself why people are overweight. It's usually got nothing to do with food addictions and lots to do with other things.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #54
freshnesschronic
Professor

Sparked my interest. Tell me more, Aliantha.
Media portrayals (shows like Brookhaven Hospital, movies like Supersized) is where I've gotten my view on obesity and it's causes. I'm being serious, tell me what I don't know.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #55
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I've no idea what Brookhaven Hospital is. I guess we don't get it over here. I have seen Supersized. It's an interesting portrayal of the 'average American', if that's what it is.

Seriously though, do you believe everything you see on tv? You're in college right? You have access to journals and papers which can tell you all sorts of reasons why people are fat.

Of course some people are fat because they're lazy or whatever, but who are you to judge?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #56
freshnesschronic
Professor

Brookhaven hospital is a hospital for the very obese in Manhattan where the very obese try to recover and rehabilitate their gargantuan eating addictions. These people weigh 350 to 800 pounds. The show explains most of it as eating addiction. It is a TV show.

And your second point, people being lazy, not exercising, that's why I don't have that much sympathy for them. Those people who sue Micky D's for getting their daughters overweight? Ridiculous.

Right now, I'm not in college, summer break. But everything I've learned for the most part is the fault of the obese person. Other than the small percentage who claim genetics.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #57
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Everything is the fault of everyone, but over time you will learn that the worst faults in people aren't the various and sundry tricky addictions. The worst faults in people are their behaviors towards their fellow human beings.

Most of people's addictive behaviors can be traced back to treatment at the hands of others.

And so you have so far shown yourself to be part of the problem. Don't like fat people? Examine yourself. Have you helped a large person to realize that they have worth and should care about their existence and appearance? Or have you casually abused them, disrespected them to give them the signal that their lack of sense of self-worth is justified? Judged them by the worst example? Put them into a single category? Developed a harsh prejudice by instinct?

What kind of person would do that to someone? I would describe that person's behavior as poor, and immature. I might even guess they were troubled. I would definitely say they are part of the problem.

Look around you, buddy. What you don't realize yet about life is how harsh it can be. The fat ones aren't the people that are going to make trouble for you. The faster you figure it out, the better off you'll be. The better a person you will be.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #58
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Fresh, I trained my ass off for football in high school and there were people that I trained with that could never lose weight no matter how hard they tried. Some would eat right with that too.

While I do think with enough work almost anyone can lose weight, the work that is involved is just not worth it or other factors can counter that effort.

Quote:

You are okay with homophobic slurs but not racial ones?
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #59
freshnesschronic
Professor

No, I used the word fag in the wrong sense and I apologize. I mean, I can rationalize what I mean in my own head because growing up fag was just a word for idiot or moron, so my own connotation isn't of a put down for a homosexual, I'm sorry if you just mistook it, and I apologize for this air of homophobia I might have around me.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:53 AM   #60
Ibby
erika

Yes, yes, I apologize that I might seeeeem homophobic, but I'm not really, I cant help it that I just talk and act like one!