The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #46
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
ALL the candidates I've seen have seriously way-out views.
The media's job is done here.

Don't mean to be rude, but this is what they do. Their entire job is to determine and sit upon the worst possible horror you (that's you plural) can be emotionally worked up by.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #47
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
To their defense, the media didn't have to work real hard to do it.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #48
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:

Don't mean to be rude, but this is what they do. Their entire job is to determine and sit upon the worst possible horror you (that's you plural) can be emotionally worked up by.
Maybe.
I don't read American papers, although I read articles here and follow headlines and quotes from site to site. And there are youtube clips and historical compilations regarding votes cast and points argued.

I would be far more careful if I was voting myself, of course.
But quote after quote, from their own mouths, suggest that these men are as crazy as I think they are (IMHO) and not just being painted that way by biased media. Again, bear in mind you have no left-wing press on the scale that we use to identify it, and I am definitely left wing.

Oh and as a European atheist, YMMV on my definition of crazy.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #49
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:

Are you saying that Sundae is wrong?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #50
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes
Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #51
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

So we shouldn't talk about any issues, then, lest we find we're just reacting to the media who told us about the issue in the first place.

We cannot discuss death, guns, war, destruction, crazy-ass-shooter rampages, celebrities, celebrity deaths, book reviews, movie reviews, sports, politics, comic strips, want ads, commercials, the advantages or disadvantages of laxatives, or Activia, music, gas prices, evil, good deeds, human suffering, the indomitable human spirit, fibromyalgia, cancer, bad dogs, good dogs, rats, tv shows, beds, clothes...

So, what do you guys want to talk about? The weather? No, that's on the news so I don't have my own opinion about it.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #52
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Fucking christ, really? I'm so sorry that my opinion is different from yours and you can't seem to handle that.

I didn't say don't discuss things and I don't have the right to. You put that shit on yourself. Don't you even dare suggest I ever said not to discuss anything.

And by the way if you want to suggest you don't have a hysterical reaction to the media? Try not having a hysterical reaction to my post about it.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #53
infinite monkey

Seriously? Who's hysterical? Jebus, man. Double triple FFS.

Sorry about the tongue in cheek comment. I didn't know you lost your sense of humor.

This is what's so lovely here. Who needs it? Meh.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #54
infinite monkey

Quote:
Fucking christ, really? I'm so sorry that my opinion is different from yours and you can't seem to handle that.

I didn't say don't discuss things and I don't have the right to. You put that shit on yourself. Don't you even dare suggest I ever said not to discuss anything.

And by the way if you want to suggest you don't have a hysterical reaction to the media? Try not having a hysterical reaction to my post about it.
Again. I'm flabbergasted.

And about ready to puke.

Now let's all go discuss boogers and how we pick them. Fucking christ.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #55
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

idiot

Toad,

When I read this...

-

So we shouldn't talk about any issues, then, lest we find we're just reacting to the media who told us about the issue in the first place.

We cannot discuss death, guns, war, destruction, crazy-ass-shooter rampages, celebrities, celebrity deaths, book reviews, movie reviews, sports, politics, comic strips, want ads, commercials, the advantages or disadvantages of laxatives, or Activia, music, gas prices, evil, good deeds, human suffering, the indomitable human spirit, fibromyalgia, cancer, bad dogs, good dogs, rats, tv shows, beds, clothes...

So, what do you guys want to talk about? The weather? No, that's on the news so I don't have my own opinion about it.

-

...I take it in the spirit it was offered: one of bemusement. You, however, viewed it as an attack.

Thin-skinned is too polite an expression for you.

Bluntly: her comment was smart and funny...yours, reactionary and stupid.

Last edited by henry quirk; 04-03-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: clarification
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #56
infinite monkey

Thanks henry. It's nice that there's a man around here who has a pair.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #57
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

alrighty then
Old 04-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #58
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

er, that is to say, sorry. I think I will just bow out of Politics altogether to save my sanity and the sanity of others.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #59
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

henry--

For the record, you're factually wrong when you say Undertoad is an idiot and stupid. Neither he nor his comment was stupid. He didn't say to not discuss topics, go back and read it and you'll see I'm right.

The leap to "we're not to discuss things found in 'the media' " was suggested by infinite monkey. That was a leap, for sure. I'm glad you hear bemusement in her voice, that's great, really. Her comment was a giant leap of questions and suggestions after Undertoad's one word answer to a question posed by Sundae. You heard bemusement, I heard alarm. Was that theatrical alarm? Maybe. But it was a reaction far out of proportion to his neutral, factual, honest and non-reactionary and non-stupid answer to another dwellar.

Your ad hominem attack isn't anything like a persuasive argument in addition to being a lie. You look bad by it.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #60
infinite monkey

BV, you're biased because you don't like me. You don't like me because I'm not completely fond of you. *shrugs*

Anyone who has ever read any post of mine knows my posts. I was having fun writing it. I expect, if anyone, UT would get that. How is that alarmist? Was my winky not effective? Are you trying to win Pompous Man of the Year? Have you never read me before? Have we just met?

You should mind your own business on this one. Slobbering up UT's ass looks bad on you. It looks par for the course, but it still looks bad on you.