The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

View Poll Results: Should man-woman marriage be supported and do alternative threaten it?
Man-Woman marriage should be supported. 9 18.37%
Marriage should succeed or fail without government intervention. 27 55.10%
Same sex marriage is a threat to traditional marriage. 7 14.29%
Same sex marriage is not a threat to traditional marriage. 37 75.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #46
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I still say that the relative genders of who is boinking whom and how they wish to sanctify said boinking is utterly irrelevant to the legal status of a union. If Marriage is a contract in the legal sense, then telling people of the same sex that they cannot enter into a binding legal contract together is discrimination, period. If Marriage is a sacred union, then government has absolutely no business making any laws which govern it.

So there.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #47
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Pair a Docs

Remember Razzles? They were both a candy AND a gum. Marriage is kinda like razzles; it's both a legal AND a sacred institution. I don't think the government should have ever intruded into the institution (or the the other way around). But as Kennedy said, once they started providing protections and benefits to married coulples, they started a system of discrimination.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:53 AM   #48
Elspode

And that discrimination can be immediately eliminated by offering the same benefits to *anyone* who is married, regardless of sex. Instead, the opposite is being attempted.

One of the biggest bullshit issues in this country today, IMHO. A complete no-brainer. Why aren't these worthless fucks trying to feed the hungry, house the homeless, and insure the uninsured? Wankers, all of 'em.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:42 AM   #49
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Why aren't these worthless fucks trying to feed the hungry, house the homeless, and insure the uninsured? Wankers, all of 'em.
Well said!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #50
Pangloss62
Lecturer

5980 Posts!

Holy shit Esplode!

5980 posts! That's impossible. Or maybe not. You must have been in this cellar a long time. I'm impressed, if a bit concerned. I've not even reached 100.

Anyhow, I think the reason why those "worthless fucks" are not doing what you think they should do is answered by your own words: Because they are worthless fucks. They will only do what they want to do. I am so ashamed of my country right now. It's really hard to be a news junky like I am because knowing what's going on creates a pall over my poor brain. Thank goodness there are some decent people like yourself out there (I will make that leap of faith). I swear, if W. or any of his cronies were near me, I would....
Old 06-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #51
Pangloss62
Lecturer

I'm sorry. It's "Elspode" not Esplode. Although Esplode is a good one. OK. I will not make that mistake again. Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode Elspode
Old 06-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #52
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Quote:
Anyhow, I think the reason why those "worthless fucks" are not doing what you think they should do is answered by your own words: Because they are worthless fucks. They will only do what they want to do.
Ok, on principle I'm going to have to take you up on that. I don't particularly like anyones 'holier than thou' attitude but it comes from more than just religious folk, trust me. Saying, "why aren't these people taking care of the stuff I think is important and keeping their mouths shut when I disagree with them" is completely ridiculous. The above quote is just you getting pissed off.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #53
Ibby
erika

But REALLY, Elspode is right, why can't they do someting about an issue that isn't complete bullshit? No politician (at least, no politician with an ounce of gray matter, which leaves out a few) believes that marriage is an honest threat to the very fabric of america. They just want votes.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:25 PM   #54
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
snip~One of the biggest bullshit issues in this country today, IMHO. A complete no-brainer. Why aren't these worthless fucks trying to feed the hungry, house the homeless, and insure the uninsured? Wankers, all of 'em.
Because all the latter cost money and the former raises money.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #55
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

How to really bring religious values into government - ethics, respect for the environment, and social justice.

How to pretend to bring religious values into government without having to do anything that would dry up the big river of money from wealthy donors and corporations - beat up on gays and protect symbols like the flag.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #56
Elspode

Right on richlevy. If standing on a soapbox and shouting that it is every American's God-given right to jerk off mules would fill the campaign coffers, you can bet that mule jerking would be the next Constitutional Amendment to be proposed.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #57
rkzenrage

May 28, 2005: According to the AP, representatives of the nation's top psychiatric group approved a statement urging legal recognition of gay marriage. If approved by the association's directors in July, the measure would make the American Psychiatric Association the first major medical group to take such a stance. (If they do, they'll be playing catch-up to the American Psychological Association, which issued a statement of support for same sex civil marriage in July 2004).

APA SUPPORTS LEGALIZATION OF SAME-SEX CIVIL MARRIAGES AND OPPOSES DISCRIMINATION AGAINST LESBIAN AND GAY PARENTS
Denying Same-Sex Couples Legal Access to Civil Marriage is Discriminatory and Can Adversely Affect the Psychological, Physical, Social and Economic Well-Being of Gay and Lesbian Individuals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HONOLULU – Prohibiting civil marriage for same-sex couples is discriminatory and unfairly denies such couples, their children and other members of their families the legal, financial and social advantages of civil marriage says the American Psychological Association’s (APA) Council of Representatives in a resolution adopted today. The APA also opposed discrimination against lesbian or gay parents adoption, child custody and visitation, foster care and reproductive health services.

Both policy positions were adopted at the recommendation of an APA Working Group on Same-Sex Families and Relationships. The Working Group, appointed by the APA Council of Representatives in February 2004, was charged with developing policy recommendations for APA that would guide psychologists in the current public debate over civil marriage for same-sex couples. The Working Group was directed further to base its policy recommendations on the research on same-sex relationships and families.

This seven-member team of psychologists with a combination of both scientific expertise in family and couple relations and professional expertise with lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations summarized the research that discrimination and prejudice based on sexual orientation detrimentally affects the psychological, physical, social and economic well-being of lesbian, gay and bisexual individuals, that same-sex couples are remarkably similar to heterosexual couples, and that parenting effectiveness and the adjustment, development and psychological well-being of children is unrelated to parental sexual orientation.

"The APA recognizes the importance of the institution of civil marriage which confers a social status with important legal benefits, rights and privileges," said psychologist Armand R. Cerbone, who is a private practitioner in Chicago and chair of the working group. "Discrimination of all kinds takes a toll on people's health and psychological well being. In the context of the huge social and political debate that is currently going on, APA and psychologists had to grapple with the issue of what psychology believes is in the public interest in this controversy.”

Given what research tells us about the impact of discrimination and given that the research further provides no justification for discriminating against same-sex couples in marriage or in parenting, the Working Group strongly recommended that APA support states in providing civil marriage to same-sex couples and fully recognizing the parental rights of lesbians and gay men. As a benefit for human welfare, it is important to point out that permitting same-sex couples to marriage may especially benefit people who also experience discrimination based on age, race, ethnicity, disability, gender and gender identity, religion and socioeconomic status, said Cerbone.

According to the United States Accounting Office (2004), over 1,000 federal statutory provisions exist in which marital status is a factor in determining a person’s eligibility to receive various benefits, rights and privileges.

APA Working Group on Same-Sex Families and Relationships: Armand Cerbone, Ph.D., Chicago, Illinois; Beverly Greene, Ph.D., St. John’s University; Kristin Hancock, Ph.D., Graduate School of Professional Psychology at John F. Kennedy University; Lawrence A. Kurdek, Ph.D., Wright State University; Candace A. McCullough, Ph.D., Bethesda, Maryland; Letitia Anne Peplau, Ph.D., University of California, Los Angeles

Full text of the resolutions is available at http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbc/policy/marriage.pdf (Resolution on Sexual Orientation and Marriage) and
http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbc/policy/parentschildren.pdf (Resolution on Sexual Orientation, Parents, and Children).

Reporters: Armand Cerbone, PhD can be by phone at (773) 755-0833 or by Email, and Anne Peplau, PhD be reached by phone at 818-990-2688 or by Email

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The American Psychological Association (APA), in Washington, DC, is the largest scientific and professional organization representing psychology in the United States and is the world’s largest association of psychologists. APA’s membership includes more than 150,000 researchers, educators, clinicians, consultants and students. Through its divisions in 53 subfields of psychology and affiliations with 60 state, territorial and Canadian provincial associations, APA works to advance psychology as a science, as a profession and as a means of promoting health, education and human welfare.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:27 AM   #58
wolf
lobber of scimitars

This would be the same APA that released a statement in 1999 or so saying that Child Sexual Abuse was not harmful to it's victims?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #59
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
This would be the same APA that released a statement in 1999 or so saying that Child Sexual Abuse was not harmful to it's victims?
American Psychiatric Association or American Psychological Association?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #60
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Psychological. The American Psychiatric Association puts on a good party every year, so the shrinks tell me, but they don't issue dumbass statements.

I belonged to the APA for one year in graduate school, but only because I needed the cheap professional liability coverage for my practicum.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote