The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #46
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
thanks, I learned something today.
I first learned the term in a job interview. Sometimes I love being in this business.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #47
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

Here are my pride and joys.

The blonde one is Munchie (my sister named her that because she likes to chew on jewelry) and the black one is Zeus.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #48
Pangloss62
Lecturer

What the!!!!

I was gonna pet this cat I saw across the street from where I live, but when I got close, I saw that IT WAS DEAD! It smelled bad, too. YUCK!
Old 06-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #49
be-bop
Operations Operative

This is Schumacher after a snooze...he's very good at sleeping
Attached Images

be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #50
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

My cat story isn't very much fun. Little Anu is, in fact, so little that he is easily overlooked while going about the normal doings in our house. This morning, my wife called me to say that she had accidentally shut him in the back door while letting our dog in. Poor little guy had the pad of one of his feet torn off, necessitating a visit to the vet for cleaning and debriding, bandaging and an antibiotic shot.

It is easier to hurt this poor little guy than you might think. He is totally imprinted on us, his humans, and he is usually wherever we are, whether that be walking down the hall, moving around in our rolling office chairs, etc. I myself shut him in the trash closet door the other day - this, after actually checking to be sure he *wasn't* in there.

I hope we don't kill him before he gets big enough to be more noticeable.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:45 PM   #51
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

@ pan,
stop poisoning the cats, ( just kidding, you wouldn't do that , nah)

@ elspode
You won't kill him. He'll be ok. Just don't let him around pan.

Last edited by skysidhe; 06-13-2006 at 02:01 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #52
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Poisonings

No, I don't poison cats.

I do poison religious zealots, homophobes, HumV drivers, and an occasional FOX NEWS pundit. I use a relatively weak strain of salmonella enteritidis in spray form. I can spray it on their car door handles or (if I get lucky, something they're eating. They get violently ill but rarely die. I'm not a killer.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #53
Elspode

Yet your sig line flies in the face of your statement of innocence.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #54
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Killer of Concepts

Dammit, El Spodinho, you're are correct. I better change that tag line.

What that really means is that I envision myself as someone who has killed "the concept" of God in his own mind. I sucessfully murdered that concept in 2nd grade, and had to suffer CCD classes beyond then. Boy, did my teachers get mad: "You honestly believe that this Jesus character actually rose from the dead?" "Why would I want to live forever in some place called heaven?" "Can't I at least have the chance to say 'No, thank you'?" They actually called my mother to say I was causing trouble.

That said, I don't think I can kill that God concept on a global level, at least not right away. Gotta take baby steps, ya know.

So much profundity in a thread about cats.

Hang In There, Baby!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:20 PM   #55
Elspode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss62
"Why would I want to live forever in some place called heaven?"
I agree...especially since there will apparently be no one there except Christians. And you know what judgemental pricks some of them can be!

Old 06-14-2006, 07:53 AM   #56
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Hellacious Music

I would hand out an iPod loaded with nothing but Kenny G and John Tesh. You would be required to play it 24/7. Now THAT would be hell.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #57
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Birdie Num Num

From today's NYT:

L.I. Keeper of Birds Is Accused of Going After Neighbors' Cats

By JULIA C. MEAD
Published: June 14, 2006
RIVERHEAD, N.Y., June 13 — In December 1998, two cats belonging to a family in Bay Shore on Long Island vanished. Then, in April, the family's purebred Russian blue disappeared. Other residents of the same street in Bay Shore, Hyman Avenue, also complained that their cats were missing.

Kirk Condyles for The New York Times
Regina Fagone of Bay Shore, N.Y., with Cole, her Russian blue.
Now a neighbor, Richard DeSantis, 56, faces charges that he lured the Russian blue, named Cole, into his backyard on the night of April 2 with a baited trap. Neighbors wonder whether Mr. DeSantis was responsible for the disappearance of other cats, but they declined to speak for the record.

Jesse Fagone, who reported Mr. DeSantis to the police, had plenty to say, however. "Look up and down our street and we're the only family left on the block with cats," said Mr. Fagone, who lives next door to Mr. DeSantis and owned the Russian blue and two other cats that vanished. He still has two cats and two dogs.

Mr. DeSantis faces felony charges of criminal mischief and falsifying records; misdemeanor charges of possessing stolen property and making a false statement; and a minor offense, cruelty to animals.

He pleaded not guilty at arraignment on Monday morning and was released without bail. A woman who answered his phone referred calls to his lawyer, Eric W. Naiburg.

Mr. Naiburg acknowledged that Mr. DeSantis took a cat to the animal shelter in April to be put to death, but said it was a feral cat with no collar or tags.

"He had no idea it was his neighbor's cat," Mr. Naiburg said, adding that Mr. DeSantis, who is retired, is a wildlife rehabilitator who nurses injured animals back to health. The cat was stalking birds that Mr. DeSantis kept in his backyard and even tried to climb their cages, Mr. Naiburg said. He said that state law permits a licensed hunter like his client to trap any cat threatening a protected bird. "Some people believe they have absolutely no responsibility to their own pets," he said. "My client did nothing wrong."

Mr. Fagone said he turned in Mr. DeSantis after he and his wife, Regina, did their own investigating. Two other family cats — Corky and Grady — had disappeared in 1998. He said he later heard that someone had taken two cats fitting their descriptions to the town shelter to be put to death.

"We thought it was an accident," Mrs. Fagone said.

But after Cole, the Russian blue, slipped out of the house one Sunday evening in April, Mrs. Fagone went to the animal shelter after two fruitless days of searching. She asked to see the form that the shelter requires people to sign when they bring in animals to be put to death.

Mr. DeSantis had signed the form, she said. Her cat was already dead.

He also signed another form on March 21 authorizing the shelter to put to death a black and white cat he took to the shelter, according to Islip Town records.

Mrs. Fagone claimed that Mr. DeSantis had taken three other cats to the shelter, including Corky and Grady, in recent years, but those documents are in storage and were unavailable for review on Monday, said a spokeswoman for Islip Town, Michelle Remsen.

Mr. Fagone said he remains puzzled. "I just can't stop asking myself, if he found a cat and knew his next-door neighbor has cats, why wouldn't he just ask if it was ours?"
Old 06-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #58
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Why are they letting their cats roam loose? I'm with the bird guy.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote