The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 05-15-2007, 07:57 AM   #46
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Dudes, I was jokin'. Never thought it would turn into a debate. (Forgot I was in the Cellar, never mind.) And I do like to be noticed. :p
Shawnee, did you notice that your post was numer 45?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #47
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Now you're an orphan post.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #48
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Story of my life, fellas, story of my life.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #49
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
wait a ....minnnit... 50 isn't a choice.
It must be, cuz that's the number of posts I have per page.

And I'm no Lord, or even lady...

Edited to add --I just checked my user options, and I have forum default picked. It's 15 or something little when I'm not logged in, must be 50 when I am.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:02 PM   #50
Cloud

well, whaddya know. 50 isn't a choice, but 40 and 60 are. I didn't even know I could change that, now I do!
Old 05-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #51
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
yes, I do, and I'm not being facetious. I think new threads keep the place lively and moving forward.

but, er . . . I may be in the minority on that. And I'm still a relative newbie, so feel to spank me.

Please.
Okay then.

I don't think this place needs endless fluffy posts to "keep" it lively. It's been alive and well since 1990 and doesn't show any signs of ailing. It's not moving forward if all the new posts at any given time are by the same person or cover the same ground.

Also why post on your own thread complaining that no-one is interested? Surely the fact that you have views but not replies means simply that - and making that comment does not get you anywhere.

I'm a newbie too. I don't post on the highbrow or political threads because I feel I am out of my depth. However they help me to form an opinion on what I read elsewhere and to question my existing views. If I've been guilty of too many fluffy posts in the past I hope at least I've kept them to the shallower areas of the Cellar, where they can be avoided by those that aren't interested.

This isn't a personal attack, but it is my opinion that you start too many threads that simply can't be sustained on a forum like this, and then feel aggrieved when you don't get a response.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:03 PM   #52
Cloud

Hmm, well I don't feel aggrieved when I don't get a response, because I figure not everyone is interested in the same things I am. I'm always surprised at what gets picked up, though.

I did not realize you sincerely though I started too many threads, though. I certainly don't think it won't be lively without me, but I believe in making a contribution.

Too bad--I was having fun.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:08 PM   #53
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i bet glatt will quote you now and say someting about how many threads he's started

Last edited by lumberjim; 05-15-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: cloud edited her post and mine made no sense.....so i thought i'd mess with glatt
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #54
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I did not realize you sincerely though I started too many threads, though. I certainly don't think it won't be lively without me, but I believe in making a contribution.
I have 4,933 posts, but have only started 37 threads. I wasn't making a contribution with 4,896 of those posts?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #55
Cloud

of course you were, why would you think you weren't?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #56
glatt

I guess I misinterpreted your post. I thought you were implying that starting threads was the best/only way to make a contribution.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #57
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

start as many threads as you like.....as far as my opinion goes. silly threads never hurt anyone.

i only said anything cuz i think starting a new thread to post a fucking link is really lazy. it takes effort to come up with a new thread. i salute you. it's the one finger salute, but i'm smiling while saluting.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #58
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Okay then.

I don't think this place needs endless fluffy posts to "keep" it lively. It's been alive and well since 1990 and doesn't show any signs of ailing. It's not moving forward if all the new posts at any given time are by the same person or cover the same ground.

Also why post on your own thread complaining that no-one is interested? Surely the fact that you have views but not replies means simply that - and making that comment does not get you anywhere.

I'm a newbie too. I don't post on the highbrow or political threads because I feel I am out of my depth. However they help me to form an opinion on what I read elsewhere and to question my existing views. If I've been guilty of too many fluffy posts in the past I hope at least I've kept them to the shallower areas of the Cellar, where they can be avoided by those that aren't interested.
Go! SG,
Old 05-15-2007, 08:14 PM   #59
monster
I hear them call the tide

Fluff is good. But not too much. When a silly/unexpected/irrelevant question is asked occasionally, it makes people stop, smile and respond/be amused by the answers of those who have responded. When there are several such questions a day, it's going to annoy some who have limited time. And it will annoy, even if they don't respond.

It's horses for courses. If it is in your nature to be chatty and start many topics, do so. If it isn't don't. But don't expect the others to join you in your preference. Think about how irritating it is IRL if you're a quiet person and people try to force you to speak. Think about how irritating it is if you like to chat and everyone tells you to shut up without even finding out what you want to talk about.

Tolerance. Patience. And the ignore button.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #60
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I was at a party on the weekend and one woman was fairly well pissed and just wouldn't shut up. It was very difficult for anyone else to participate in the conversation because she was all pervasive.

Saturday night has now become referred to as "The Denise Show".