The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #46
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Right. Those were my replies following your sarcastic comments.

When I asked my honest question about what the connection was between fresh's comment and your reply to it, you replied sarcastically to me with a definition of 'insignificant:'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary
Not significant: as a : lacking meaning or import : INCONSEQUENTIAL b : not worth considering : UNIMPORTANT c : lacking weight, position, or influence.
Since you didn't answer my question, I concluded that you didn't intend a connection.

If I'm wrong, and there is indeed a connection, then explain it to me.

But if you just continue to be sarcastic, then I'll continue to think that you don't want to participate in a productive discussion. And frankly, I haven't seen a whole lot evidence of productive participation in discussions on your part--mostly insults and sarcasm.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #47
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
Right. Those were my replies following your sarcastic comments.

When I asked my honest question about what the connection was between fresh's comment and your reply to it, you replied sarcastically to me with a definition of 'insignificant:'

Since you didn't answer my question, I concluded that you didn't intend a connection.

If I'm wrong, and there is indeed a connection, then explain it to me.

But if you just continue to be sarcastic, then I'll continue to think that you don't want to participate in a productive discussion. And frankly, I haven't seen a whole lot evidence of productive participation in discussions on your part--mostly insults and sarcasm.
I just reserve that for you.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #48
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

No, you don't.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #49
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
No, you don't.
You are right. You and a few small select others. You're in the club.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 PM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Not significant: as a : lacking meaning or import : INCONSEQUENTIAL b : not worth considering : UNIMPORTANT c : lacking weight, position, or influence.
I'd say Merc is right, but not for the reasons he thinks.
It's because of their apathy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
I dunno, indifference? I don't even know any of my friends who are registered.
It's their choice.... you know, that thing Americans are so proud of having.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:09 PM   #51
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

But in this case xoB, its a very dangerous one. Their apathy allows others to make decisions for them and yet they still have the right to complain. Yet when the time comes to vote or have input they don't . . . and so on.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #52
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I know, I know, but I think when they get out of school, start working, get married, buy property and #1 on the hit parade PAY TAXES, things will change quickly for most of them.

I remember way back in the dark ages, the 60s, when political activism seemed to be much higher among college age kids. But you know what, the majority, although reasonably aware, were still more interested in getting drunk/high, laid and good enough grades to stay out of the draft. For the girls, substitute pregnant for drafted.

I have faith they'll come around and grow up to be opinionated old farts like us.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:38 PM   #53
rkzenrage

People who don't vote are insignificant.
That is a fact.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:29 AM   #54
freshnesschronic
Professor

Well, thanks to Bruce and blue.
Sorry for being "insignificant."
And by Rk's logic, babies are insignificant.
And I honestly can't even follow what Merc meant to say, not trying to degrade his comment at all it is just way over my head. My insignificant head.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:54 AM   #55
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well, babies are not immediately politically significant.

From age 18 according to this nation's law, you can share in the collective political significance.

Most people, however, take but little interest in local or national politics until they are over thirty. If I'm any example, politics becomes rather more interesting after forty. Politics seems a game favored in the most part by the over-forty set.

This is where one usually finds the greatest number and greatest degree of those actualizing their greatest political significance.

Voting feels good, though -- you get a nice, civic-minded glow out of actualizing yourself within the electorate, and to do voting doesn't take a lot out of your life unless you get so interested in some issue that you train yourself into wonkhood.

I should point out that from what I see day to day and year to year, the "red staters" are wiser than the "blue staters" could ever believe. They like, start by reading National Review.

The Left is failing to adapt to this development, and in the clamor they make you can discern their bewilderment.

Meanwhile one can seek what wisdom may be panned from the gravel in observations like this one, paraphrased from Heinlein because it'll take more time than I have this session to chase it down on the net or in my dead-tree format:

"Democracy is based on the assumption that many men are smarter than one man.

How's that again?

Autocracy is based on the assumption that one man is smarter than many men.

Wait a second..."

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 07-17-2007 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Teh does not equal the. It might be some Chinese guy's name, but...
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:04 AM   #56
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Most people, however, take but little interest in local or national politics until they are over thirty. If I'm any example, politics becomes rather more interesting after forty. Politics seems a game favored in the most part by the over-forty set.

This is where one usually finds the greatest number and greatest degree of those actualizing their greatest political significance.
Thank you! You actually realize the youth are people too. Merc and Rk are just too condemning of us, I mean come on, don't label us insignificant because seriously, when you guys toked up in your youth of the 60s, didn't the political people want to be rid of people like you too? The system is looping itself....
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:15 AM   #57
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Keep in mind though fresh, since the average political mindset of college students is siginificantly more liberal than UG's personal views, it's in his best interest for the youth to remain indifferent. People like rk and Bruce are more likely to be bitter because you probably agree with many of their ideas, but are allowing people like Bush to stay in power by not voting.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:28 AM   #58
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Bitter? No baby, sweet... like sweet, sweeeet, lovin'.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #59
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Well, thanks to Bruce and blue.
Sorry for being "insignificant."
And by Rk's logic, babies are insignificant.
And I honestly can't even follow what Merc meant to say, not trying to degrade his comment at all it is just way over my head. My insignificant head.
You make yourself insignificant by your failure to participate fully in the political process that poeple would die for, and have died for to give you that right. Instead you bitch and moan and end up squandering your opportunity to participate in the Republic. Your choice. I have no problem with your choice, but I believe that you make yourself insignificant by that choice.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #60
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I know, I know, but I think when they get out of school, start working, get married, buy property and #1 on the hit parade PAY TAXES, things will change quickly for most of them.

I remember way back in the dark ages, the 60s, when political activism seemed to be much higher among college age kids. But you know what, the majority, although reasonably aware, were still more interested in getting drunk/high, laid and good enough grades to stay out of the draft. For the girls, substitute pregnant for drafted.

I have faith they'll come around and grow up to be opinionated old farts like us.
That pretty much nails it... and you for got to add that hopefully you pay taxes because of your prosperity in gaining income. Your views on much will change as you move through the various stages of life.