The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-12-2004, 05:10 AM   #46
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

My sister in law is called Jennifer

I got lumbered with three fornames heheh. Danielle Sara Eleana Coombs
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:16 AM   #47
Griff
still says videotape

I was in the grocery store last week and got a good laugh. You know how folks have been naming there kids after products and fortune 500 companies? There was a woman running around the store calling to her child...Chase!
Old 06-12-2004, 08:36 AM   #48
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

You think they may have gotten their ideas from here?

Extremely Bad Baby Names

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:18 AM   #49
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Hah! Good site, Dagney!

"How about Lou? When I was in England, I heard that name and it seemed to have a little tinkle to it. Randy is good too."

That's another difficult aspect -- what if your name means something to other cultures?

I was always curious what would happen if your last name was "Bates" and you were rich enough to have a butler. That might be a bit uncomfortable.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:23 AM   #50
wolf
lobber of scimitars

When my friend was in Physician Assistant school, one of the books that he had to read was a well-known medical tome on anatomy by Bates.

The professor, completely deadpan, advised the class that they would "have to master Bates daily."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 01:39 PM   #51
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim

we had a wrangler stolen just last night. 2:20 am. got em on tape. three weeks ago, some stupid kid stole the wheels off of a Rubicon Wrangler. One saturday 4 years ago or so, we came in and found that 10 cars ( 300M's and LHS's 1 town&country) had had their chrome wheels stolen. three minivans, one new wrangler and now this used one makes 5 stolen vehicles since i've been here (6yrs). not too bad considering. Mari, you;re right. Part of the new rules say that all paperwork must be locked in desks or offices.
I wonder if everybody now does. Another job I once had was a horticultural technician for a big indoor plant maintenance outfit - you know the people who come in and take care of the plants in those big indoor atriums in snappy office buildings and stuff? I took care of many of the downtown office building accounts and people would have plants on their desks and standing in their offices that I needed to take care of. I had free access to the offices of bank presidents, lawyers, stock brokers, you name it. They'd go off to lunch or out for a 2 hour conference leaving client's files spread all over their desks. People's home address, credit card numbers, social security number, bank accounts, investments - all there in open view. As "the plant lady" it was like I wore an invisibility cloaking shield. No one ever thought twice about me as I walked down the halls with my watering cans and plants. I could have wrecked havoc if I'd felt like it. I think it just goes to show that the majority of people are still pretty honest, really. But all it takes is one, like the guy who stole your car last night.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #52
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I don't feel comfortable posting details, but let's just say I really wish we had a card swipe system at work that would identify what card was used every time a door is open, rather than metal keys.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:29 PM   #53
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sidhe
We named our daughter Ashlynn Illyrica Winter. TS picked out the first name, I picked out the second (it's the name of an ancient greek city that I once read about, and I thought it was pretty), and Winter---well, it's a pretty name, and she was born when there was, unexpectedly in La., snow on the ground.

Ashlynn is just normal enough. Illyrica is pretty much unique, and Winter is just pretty.

I hate common, or overly popular names....I wanted her to have a name that no one else had.
But you had the deceny to make the uncommon name her middle name. Do you have any idea what kind of things kids in public schools can do with the name Illyrica?

My wife dislikes her first name enough that she used her middle name. After 20 years I have to remind myself that the name I call her is her middle name, usually when filling out paperwork. Since we use her first initial and full middle name or first initial and middle initial, or sometimes first name, etc. her credit report lists all of the combinations as AKA (also known as). I think there were six or eight variations listed there.

..and no, I will not tell you what her first name is. While I have never held much back from the Cellar, spending the next 20 years on the couch is a high price to pay for full disclosure.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #54
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Once someone gets the courage to explain it to her, she'll be asking people to "just call me Susan."

I have a list of favorites. There are numerous "What were you thinkings" that we've collected over the years at work.

Oh crap. I think I can't tell you some of the best ones because of HIPPA. :P I'll have to go through the list and find the ones that weren't patients.

Oh, wait ... this guy's a probation officer, so I can tell yah ...

Shane Shady.
My father's a doctor (not an ob-gyn) and one of his pet peeves was people who named their kids after drug brand names or medical procedures. He swore to me that there are children out there name Lidocaine, with maybe a slight variation for spelling.

I still only half believe it. Unfortunately, the social security adminstration only lists the 1000 most popular first names, so I cannot verify this.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #55
jaguar
whig

Quote:
horticultural technician
That mean plant waterer right? Gotta love PC naming. Least when I did a stint in a nursery they called it what it was.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:10 PM   #56
blue
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally posted by richlevy
My wife dislikes her first name enough that she used her middle name. After 20 years I have to remind myself that the name I call her is her middle name, usually when filling out paperwork. Since we use her first initial and full middle name or first initial and middle initial, or sometimes first name, etc. her credit report lists all of the combinations as AKA (also known as). I think there were six or eight variations listed there.

..and no, I will not tell you what her first name is. While I have never held much back from the Cellar, spending the next 20 years on the couch is a high price to pay for full disclosure.
What was her first name by the way?
Old 06-12-2004, 03:11 PM   #57
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Yeah come on.. the couch is nothing...

just as long as we aren't talking about the doghouse.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 03:35 PM   #58
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Rich, does your wife read the cellar? I'm going to assume for now that her given name is........

.....uhm.......

.....er........

Hermione?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:56 PM   #59
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Gertrude.

No, no, wait ... I got it ... Hadassah.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 10:07 PM   #60
Torrere
a real smartass

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
That mean plant waterer right? Gotta love PC naming. Least when I did a stint in a nursery they called it what it was.
child care professional?
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote