The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 03-19-2005, 10:32 AM   #46
wolf
lobber of scimitars

They're still pickles, aren't they??

I've tried them all. I still can't manage them. I didn't just up and decide I don't like pickles, like I know not every hot dog is an Oscar Mayer, there are brand variations. But it matters not from whence it came ... Heinz, Claussen, Vlassic, breakfast pickle-on-a-stick at the RenFaire, Deep Fried Pickles (every thing is supposed to be better deep fried, isn't it?) or even the vaunted nirvana of the big barrel at the deli ... they are still pickles. I smell pickles in brine and I lose my appetite. I cannot order a McDonalds Cheeseburger as it comes and just pick the pickle off. The juice is still there. It touched the meat, and more importantly, the bread. The pickles that every restaurant insists you have with your sandwich is also anathema, as there is an excellent likelihood that it will at least spoil some of the chips into a mass of gooey pickley wetness, but there is danger that it may also touch and soak into the bread of a perfectly good club sandwich. Chik-Fil-A has at least come up with the "Chik-no-Pic" order, which allows me to enjoy that wonderful, crunchy sandwich. Anyone who has been with me at Michael's Deli knows for sure i can't stand pickles. I am NOT one to pass up free food ... I make them put the bucket of free pickles in front of somebody else

Um.

I don't like pickles.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 09:03 PM   #47
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I empathize completely, wolf. I am right with you on pickle hatred. It's that smell, taste...even picking up and moving a pickle to someone else's plate is gross to me. Not to mention, I have to quarantine any of the ruined food that sits next to where the pickle once was. Why do restaurants just assume we want that mess on our plates? I order McDonalds cheeseburgers with "ketchup only", as I have hatred with the same passion for mustard. Blech. The onions are just not prepared correctly on their food, IMO.

Anyway...pickles are nasty.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #48
kerosene
Touring the facilities

While I am bitching about foods, I wanted to mention that cottage cheese is about the most digusting food I have ever dared to consume. Put it with fruit, put spices on top, put it in lasagne, blend it in a blender with other disguises, I don't care...I can't handle it. There is something about the texture that makes me think of the nastiest spoiled milk I have ever seen.

Another thing...why the hell do restaurants insist on making everything in huge portions and refusing to let me order from the kid's menu in protest? I would much rather have a simple grilled cheese or corn dog than a super duper over-grilled burger with a million things to put on it and a mound of french fries the size of my head. I often order just an appetizer at restaurants, so I can pawn off some of it to my family and so I don't end up with endless decisions about salads, potatoes, vegetables and shit that I am not going to eat anyway.

Thanks for letting me rant. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:07 PM   #49
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I cannot stand idly by while the beloved pickle endures such a vicious, malicious and sacraligious attack. I like dill pickles. No, I *love* dill pickles! The diller and saltier the better. I marinate beef in pickle juice. I eat 'em right outta the jar!

BUT, there outta be a law against sweet pickles. I mean seriously: sugar and pickles together? That pretty much wins the "two things that don't go together" award if you ask me. YUCK!!!!

Give me dill or give me death.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:21 PM   #50
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Case, I'm right with you on the mustard thing ... I order Mickey D's (and BK and Wendy's) burgers plain, and put on my own damn ketchup. I eat my pretzels plain.

I have to confess to a fondness for the cottage cheese though. It's a form of cheese. One that you can add jelly or fruity goodness to.

Have I ever mentioned to you that I never get enough cheese?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 03-20-2005, 12:08 AM   #51
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I am one of the crazies who rarely has much to do with cheese or milk (except parmesan, or whatever ends up on my pizza). I guess I must not like cow secretions. I do like "cheese food" though...like spray cheese and velveeta...you know what I mean.

Pickles are just unnatural. Let's just leave it at that. A cucumber was not made to be saturated in that puke flavored liquid. And I will not call it dill, because I like dill...just, not in liquid form, saturating innocent cucumbers.

Other abominations include: radishes, brussel sprouts, turkey, calliflower, olives (especially the black ones that remind me of HotWheels tires and taste like them), tofu (sorry, can't do the texture, no matter what it is saturated in), anything so hot/spicey you can't *taste* it, pecans, walnuts, jalepenios, lemon flavored things, blue cheese (double blech!), cranberries and thera-flu.

There are other moderate aversions in my appetite, but those are the big turn offs. Hell for me would be all of those things in a blender drink I was forced to consume. It would probably be full of protein, though.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:11 AM   #52
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Case, I'm right with you on the mustard thing ... I order Mickey D's (and BK and Wendy's) burgers plain, and put on my own damn ketchup. I eat my pretzels plain.
Oh yeah, I was going to mention that I use to order my cheeseburgers plain, but I found that the cheese would stick to the top bun and break up the bread, which annoyed me when I went to put the ketchup on, so I started ordering them "ketchup only".

Pretzels plain is the best way. They put too much fucking salt on those things! I mean, 2 grains of salt on those things is too much, because they are so large and potent. And the cheese is always like a watered down version of velveeta with jalepenio flavor in it.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:42 AM   #53
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

[quote=case]Other abominations include: radishes, brussel sprouts, turkey, calliflower, olives (especially the black ones that remind me of HotWheels tires and taste like them), tofu (sorry, can't do the texture, no matter what it is saturated in), anything so hot/spicey you can't *taste* it, pecans, walnuts, jalepenios, lemon flavored things, blue cheese (double blech!), cranberries and thera-flu.[quote]

Well, clearly, you are insane.
Oh, and sweet pickles are great with your peanut butter sandwich. Or, cream cheese sandwich. OR peanut butter AND cream cheese sandwich! So there!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:42 AM   #54
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by case
Pickles are just unnatural. Let's just leave it at that. A cucumber was not made to be saturated in that puke flavored liquid. And I will not call it dill, because I like dill...just, not in liquid form, saturating innocent cucumbers.
You are sadly mistaken. There are very few things in this world that are not improved by a good long soak in a vinegar/dill bath. mmmmm... pickled hot peppers.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:07 PM   #55
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Why waste a perfectly good hot pepper in that manner?

It should be sliced and added to just about anything savory, stuffed with cream cheese, breaded and deep fried, or just eaten in all of it's raw and crispy goodness.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:54 PM   #56
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Pickle juice is also used as a marinate for ribs before they are dry cooked (Memphis style). Deeeeeeeeeeeelicious!!!
Yep. I do that too. It gives 'em a good tang to go with that oak and hickory smokiness.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:20 PM   #57
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
... sour cream, I could add that to ANYTHING. .... It is heaven.
Oh GOD! YESS!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:45 AM   #58
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by case
Quote:
I don't like pickles.
You, you....anti-pickleites!

Nothing beats a good Vlassic Zesty Kosher Dill. Except maybe the great big dill pickles we used to get in the A&P food stores they had in the big wooden barrels. Anyone remember those? Our Mom used to get us each one of those as soon as we went in the store and we wouldn't bother her the whole shopping trip, munching on the pickles!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:32 AM   #59
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Never try an appetizer of mussles before an entre of Fajitas.
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #60
Griff
still says videotape

I'm having a fried corn tortilla sandwich with peanut butter and fluff.