Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #586
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
More of the double standard by the Obama administration....

Remember the outcry, which continues, about the people from the energy industry coming to the White House and supposedly meeting with Cheney et. al.?

Where is the transparency everyone likes to spout off about?

Where are the protests?

continues:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,7434392.story
ummmm, what happened to the transparency?

IMO, anyone who is involved in helping make policy, ESPECIALLY IF THEY BENEFIT FROM IT, should be open to public scrutiny and their names should ALL be disclosed.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #587
Redux

Quote:
Oh no! You find this to be a "great view"?

But its based on polls:
Obama is falling out not with them but with the party's moderates. ...Obama remains well-liked overall, but his support among independents is slipping, and his policies are less popular than he is...
And we know that polls are worthless and have no validity, because you said so repeatedly!

Or perhaps, that only applies when you dont like the polls.

Last edited by Redux; 07-26-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #588
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
Oh no! You find this to be a "great view"?

But its based on polls:
Obama is falling out not with them but with the party's moderates. ...Obama remains well-liked overall, but his support among independents is slipping, and his policies are less popular than he is...
And we know that polls have no validity, because you said so repeatedly!

Or perhaps, that only applies when you dont like the polls.
The poll emphasis is minor in this Op-Ed bit. I enjoyed his insight and opinion into what the Demoncrats are doing in Congress.

Quote:
The party is led by insular liberals from big cities and the coasts, who neither understand nor sympathize with moderates. They have their own cherry-picking pollsters, their own media and activist cocoon, their own plans to lavishly spend borrowed money to buy votes.
See it is not about the polls themselves but how they are twisted and inaccurate from the outset.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #589
Redux

Merc..you continually crack me up with your dodging and weaving.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #590
TheMercenary

You don't believe me? Polls are worthless.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #591
Redux

Quote:
You don't believe me? Polls are worthless.
Perhaps you should tell that to Clive Crook, whose insight and opinion you like, but who was compelled to link and cite David Brooks op ed, that was all about polls, in order to make his point.

Waiting for the "whatever" defense.

Last edited by Redux; 07-26-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #592
TheMercenary

Maybe you missed it.

The poll emphasis is minor in this Op-Ed bit. I enjoyed his insight and opinion into what the Demoncrats are doing in Congress.

See it is not about the polls themselves but how they are twisted and inaccurate from the outset.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #593
TheMercenary

I love it. "Hello Kettle, meet Pot."

Quote:
Obama 2004: Bush Rushed Legislation Through Congress Without Allowing Time to Read Or Debate

BARACK OBAMA: ...When you rush these budgets that are a foot high and nobody has any idea what's in them and nobody has read them.

RANDI RHODES: 14 pounds it was!

BARACK OBAMA: Yeah. And it gets rushed through without any clear deliberation or debate then these kinds of things happen. And I think that this is in some ways what happened to the Patriot Act. I mean you remember that there was no real debate about that. It was so quick after 9/11 that it was introduced that people felt very intimidated by the administration.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gla...ut-allowing-ti

Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #594
Redux

Quote:
I love it. "Hello Kettle, meet Pot."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gla...ut-allowing-ti

Obama has had numerous WH meetings (and a few on the Hill) where Republican leaders were invited to participate. It might even be fair to say that Republicans have been invited to WH meetings more in the first six months of the Obama administration than Democrats in eight years of the Bush administration (no, I dont have a link..just a gut assement).

It seems to me the health reform proposals have been subject to a quite of bit of debate in the various committees to-date...and numerous opportunities for the Republicans to offer amendments...and is likely to continue into the fall.

The Senate Health and Labor Committee took up every amendment offered by the Republicans...same is happening in the Finance Committee, along with a likely bi-partisan proposal to emerge from that committee....and on the House side, the rules will allow more amendments than the Republican-controlled House, under the Hastert rule, ever allowed the Democrats to offer. The best (or worst) example, if you really want to look back, was the Republican medicare prescription drugs legislation...where Tom Delay actually bribed a Republican House member right on the floor during the vote...after extending the voting time beyond the allowable time in order to ensure passage.

Just the facts

Last edited by Redux; 07-28-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #595
TheMercenary

Quote:
Obama has had numerous WH meetings (and a few on the Hill) where Republican leaders were invited to participate. It might even be fair to say that Republicans have been invited to WH meetings more in the first six months of the Obama administration than Democrats in eight years of the Bush administration (no, I dont have a link..just a gut assement).
I doubt that seriously. So it is most likely bs...

Quote:
It seems to me the health reform proposals have been subject to a quite of bit of debate in the various committees to-date...and numerous opportunities for the Republicans to offer amendments...and is likely to continue into the fall.
Opinion, not based in fact. The Demoncrats control all the committees.

Quote:
The best (or worst) example, if you really want to look back, was the Republican medicare prescription drugs legislation...where Tom Delay actually bribed a Republican House member right on the floor during the vote...after extending the voting time beyond the allowable time in order to ensure passage.
Not important, the Dems are in charge.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #596
Redux

Quote:
I doubt that seriously. So it is most likely bs...
When I have time, I will search out the number of Bush WH meetings with Dems in eight years. They were scarce and I can count at least 5-6 meetings that Obama had with Republicans in six months.

Quote:
Opinion, not based in fact. The Demoncrats control all the committees.Opinion, not based in fact
Its not an opinion that the Republicans have had numerous opportunities to have their amendments presented in committee...its a fact and its a fact that the Republicans will have the opportunity present amendments on the floor.

Quote:
Not important, the Dems are in charge.
Of course the Democrats control all committees and ultimately, the final outcome...it's called majority rule.

And the first thing Pelosi did was end the Hastert rule...a fact.

I get it....the majority party has more influence on shaping legislation and you find something wrong with that because you dont like the party in power.

I get if further...the only opinions that are valid to you are the ones from partisan right wing editorial writers and bloggers...a double standard?

Last edited by Redux; 07-28-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #597
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Opinion, not based in fact. The Demoncrats control all the committees.
They control all the committees that the Republicans are also members of. There are Republican ammendments on the bills. So, even knowing that it is unlikely that any Republicans will vote for the bill, they are letting the Republicans help shape it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #598
TheMercenary

Quote:
Of course the Democrats control all committees and ultimately, the final outcome...it's called majority rule.

And the first thing Pelosi did was end the Hastert rule...a fact.

I get it....the majority party has more influence on shaping legislation and you find something wrong with that because you dont like the party in power.

I get if further...the only opinions that are valid to you are the ones from partisan right wing editorial writers and bloggers...a double standard?
I have no problem with the Majority rule. And for you to defend the practices of that scumbag Pelosi states much about how you see the world in your rose colored glasses. She has Rahmrodded the legislation through with very little input from Republickins. She promised change and nothing has changed. The Demoncrats are no better then when the other party was in charge.

Quote:
"We won the election; we wrote the bill," Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
People talk about using scare tactics to get things done?!?! In an effort to ram her bill through Congress she said this:
Quote:
"Every month that we do not have an economic recovery package 500 million Americans lose their jobs." Nancy Pelosi
It was total BS. And on top of that no one could read the damm thing it was so long and filled with pork.

Quote:
"I don't think anyone will have the chance" to read the entire bill before voting on it, admitted Sen. Frank Lautenberg, a Democrat from New Jersey.
After the vote on the bill:
Quote:
For instance, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told everyone, "There are no earmarks or pet projects' in the bill. But everybody knows that's simply not the case. Sure, it once involved $819 billion in spending and tax cut provisions, and has since been whittled down to $790 billion. But it was 700 pages last week and has since mushroomed into nearly 1,000 pages festooned with so much spending that even those in Congress cannot possibly grasp it all. And whether it was approved through the shortcut of earmarks or not is irrelevant; it is certainly full of pet projects, and it certainly didn't receive much scrutiny prior to being passed.
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articl...5325205_01.txt

Great so where are all the jobs?

You must still work for the Demoncratic Party right?

Last edited by TheMercenary; 07-28-2009 at 01:41 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #599
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
They control all the committees that the Republicans are also members of. There are Republican ammendments on the bills. So, even knowing that it is unlikely that any Republicans will vote for the bill, they are letting the Republicans help shape it.
Token shaping. Very little input on the more important bills to come out since Jan.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #600
Redux

Quote:
I have no problem with the Majority rule. And for you to defend the practices of that scumbag Pelosi states much about how you see the world in your rose colored glasses. She has Rahmrodded the legislation through with very little input from Republickins. She promised change and nothing has changed. The Demoncrats are no better then when the other party was in charge.
I dont defend all of Pelosi's actions but it is a fact that the minority party in the House has more rights now than under the Hastert rule...compare the House rules.

In case you dont understand what the Hastert rule was, it required support of the "majority of the majority" (ie a majority of Republicans at the time) in order for an amendment to even be considered.

Pelosi's first action as Speaker was to end that rule. The Republicans have had opportunities to offer amendments on every piece of legislation to reach the floor of the House....a fact.

The practical result of the end of the Hastert rule? Here is one example from last year. The FISA reform enacted would NEVER have passed if Pelosi had kept the Hastert rule in place because it NEVER had a "majority of the majority" (Democrats) support . As a result of the no-Hastert rule, a bi-partisan bill passed.

Quote:
Great so where are all the jobs?
Most objective observers recognize that the recovery bill projections are for an 18 month - 2 year time span.

Quote:
You must still work for the Demoncratic Party right?
Don't you think the "Demon"izing is little childish?

Last edited by Redux; 07-28-2009 at 01:48 PM.