The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 12-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #61
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

In keeping with the original thread title, I thought I'd try to elaborate a bit on what, exactly, the Cellar has done for me.

First and foremost, the Cellar has always provided for me a forum wherein I am able to spew an unadulterated version of my somewhat nonstandard life into the ether, and not have it immediately poo-poohed and dismissed. The Cellar has always provided for me a form of validation that, while ephemeral and virtual, is nonetheless rewarding and supportive. When I talk about being Pagan, or Polyamorous, or a musician, or a failed writer or a failed human being, the Cellar is always *there*, always *real* in its virtuality.

I don't really think I'll ever be able to put my finger on it, but there's something here that is real and comforting in a way that IRL, face to face relationships aren't. There's a level of safety and trust (at least for those who aren't twitknobs - you know who you are if you are one) that is quite remarkable. The Cellar Mind, as a body, is an uncannily accurate determiner of Reality, Sincerity and Veracity. The result is that, if you are *real*, it doesn't matter if you're a real pervert, Pagan, hick, or doofus...if you're sincere about it, you are probably loved, and Cellar Familius. From what I've seen in my years here, achieving that lofty status is not something to be regarded lightly.

Last night, Selene came into my room, and unwittingly summed things up better than I could have imagined. Commenting on something I'd posted on Facebook, she said, "You know, you can say whatever you want on The Cellar, and it doesn't matter...but when you say it on Facebook, *everybody* sees it, so you need to watch your shit."

'Nuff said. How much more impact on one stupid guy's life can a web forum have than this?

"The Cellar: Just popular enough to go unnoticed when it really counts"
Old 12-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #62
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Bravo case and Elspode!

These are great
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #63
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrw93 View Post
As a curious question: How many of those who were
there that day are still around and how many still visit
THE CELLAR?
O yeah, the cookout. I took Marci and the kids there. Great people, but it was a little like Alice and the Tea Party.

It was the first time I ever saw a man wearing a cocktail dress. We met Tony and JaniceL (now MaggieL) and his (her?) family, and a few other Cellarites.

Almost as much fun as Plastic Forks.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:21 AM   #64
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The long history is interesting, especially to those that have been here, I suppose... but does seniority really matter that much? Can't people join, and become accepted as a full fledged regular in a matter of weeks, if they're real? I think so. I for one, am more interested in what they post, than any other measures, even if I disagree with them.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #65
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Can't people join, and become accepted as a full fledged regular in a matter of weeks
No. Cause we hate newbies and kick them to the curb, after beating their brains out and emptying out the cash from their wallets.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #66
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Sleeve, you are stuck in 2001, I think. We traded that method in for Jim's newb quiz.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #67
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I think people *can* catch on right away, if they're real enough. Some people who have ended up as fambly started out pretty rough, but still persevered and gained acceptance.

I'm not saying we're elitist or anything. Quite the opposite. However, dipshitness just doesn't fly well here for the most part. And senority? Pfft.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #68
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
I think people *can* catch on right away, if they're real enough. Some people who have ended up as fambly started out pretty rough, but still persevered and gained acceptance.

I'm not saying we're elitist or anything. Quite the opposite. However, dipshitness just doesn't fly well here for the most part. And senility? Pfft.
Fixed it for ya!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #69
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I remember that party! It was my first time meeting Cellarites too. Susan Crane was there too, IIRC. She of the anniversary edition Corvette, right?

noobs can be welcome here or not. We welcome all comers but remain intolerant of jerks and attention whores. The key is maturity.

Rich, the proper pronoun is 'her', not 'his'. Even then.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #70
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
The result is that, if you are *real*, it doesn't matter if you're a real pervert, Pagan, hick, or doofus...if you're sincere about it, you are probably loved, and Cellar Familius.
this!

i'm making it my sig line cuz it's proper.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #71
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
No. Cause we hate newbies and kick them to the curb, after beating their brains out and emptying out the cash from their wallets.

good tag line
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #72
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrw93 View Post
Memo to Tony S.

I recently unearthed my autographed copy of
Dinty Moore's book including his visit and interviews
at your home for a nice summer cook-out.

As a curious question: How many of those who were
there that day are still around and how many still visit
THE CELLAR?
I wasn't there for the GTG BBQ, but I was at the book signing, and yes, I'm still here.

Great to "see" you Al!!

What has the Cellar done for me? I find friends here. I find an opportunity to vent here. I find points of view that infuriate me, but make me think. I find that I have some extra mugs and tee shirts, too.

*sniff* I love you guys.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #73
busterb
NSABFD

Well I've been around a few years. So I'll put this out as and answer to Sunday.
A Rednecks answer.
When I have a few bucks, I try to send some to Tony.
After the storm "Katrina" I got money in mail from members. I got Christmas cards from across the pond.
I got and e-mail telling me to take my dog to vet, checks in mail. I have no reason to doubt this as true.
I very seldom PM anyone. I did a few times. Once I got an answer that upset me, so no more.
BTW! I've drunk up my fruitcake whiskey. So the warning is out, unless I return to bottle shop. Merry whatever---"ya'll"
Old 12-18-2009, 03:04 AM   #74
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

In a real sense the cellar saved my life

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #75
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And damn happy to do it, too.