The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #61
mrnoodle
bent

You're right. Don't appoint someone who has a background in wildlife management, particularly hunting (the primary wildlife management tool nationwide). He wouldn't know nearly as much about the topic as, say, someone with a background in English Lit.

Or is it the fact that he kills animals? In that case, a PETA member would be appropriate. Their leader is on record as saying that in a perfect world, they would be able to breed out the carnivorous tendencies of animals such as wolves and mountain lions so that all creatures could live in harmony.

Maybe it should be someone with no opinion whatsoever in regard to hunting. They could approach wildlife management with a fresh eye. ("What's that, some kind of cow?" "No, sir, that's a pronghorn" "Do they bite?" "Not usually, sir.")

I need to go eat some meat. bbl.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:06 PM   #62
lookout123
changed his status to single

mrnoodle. you actually made me chuckle with that one.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:52 AM   #63
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

"We don't put Phil Cooney on the record," Ms. St. Martin said. "He's not a cleared spokesman."
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:02 AM   #64
glatt

That's a good article. Thanks for the link.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:04 AM   #65
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Pure FUD. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:17 PM   #66
warch
lurkin old school

Glad you refreshed this sad but true thread. How much longer is this fucking administration?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:20 PM   #67
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

If ever you had a single doubt about what this administrations sole purpose for existence was, this should clear it up.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 06-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #68
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Pure FUD. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
The guy was giving the F to government scientists, and creating UD for the administration to use.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:31 AM   #69
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Appreciate who Philip A. Cooney is. He is a lawyer. He has no science education. His degree is in economics. He is therefore qualified to rewrite science papers for the George Jr administration. No wonder First Energy (that is also run by a lawyer and created the East Coast blackout) could have a Three Mile Island problem in Davis Bessie, arrange a $450,000 fund raiser for Bush Cheney, and not shutdown as two nuclear reactors were force to (for human safety reasons). Oh. And when they finally did shutdown for refueling, there was this hole through 6 inches of carbon steel. Had the Three Mile Island problem occurred, there was no containment vessel to prevent 60 pounds per square inch of exploding radioactive gas from visiting Toledo.

Ahh but these are numbers and science. The George Jr administration knows better. They have a lawyer. Money would have fixed Toledo. With God and lawyers, clearly the administration cannot be wrong. No wonder George Jr need not even read his PDBs.

So which science will be canceled this month so that a man can scratch the moon looking for water? Clearly global warming cannot be averted. (It says so in the bible?) This from the same man who repeatedly drilled for oil and never found any - but got rich anyway. Where is the morality in the new science - and intelligent design?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:53 PM   #70
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Well, I can't find a cite online for this story, but going from my memory of a radio story I heard a little while ago, Philip A. Cooney has "resigned". The stated reason is that he had been wanting to spend the summer with his family. The administration denies that the resignation has anything to do with this week's story that we've been discussing.

I find this sequence of events too neat and tidy to believe. It seems that the revelation of his actions, editing scientific documents, without the training to produce the report, but "producing" the conclusions, the public face, was embarassing to the administration. See you later, buddy.

Last edited by BigV; 06-11-2005 at 05:44 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:43 PM   #71
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Well, I can't find a cite online for this story, but going from memory of a radio story a little while, Philip A. Cooney has "resigned". The stated reason is that he had been wanting to spend the summer with his family. The administration denies that the resignation has anything to do with this week's story that we've been discussing.

I find this sequence of events too neat and tidy to believe. It seems that the revelation of his actions, editing scientific documents, without the training to produce the report, but "producing" the conclusions, the public face, was embarassing to the administration. See you later, buddy.
For some reason this guy reminds me of Mitch Glazer , the midnight bill raider who went to work for the RIAA after rigging some legislation.

It will be interesting to see who Mr. Cooney is hired by after his summer vacation.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:49 PM   #72
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

Sucks when the richest research community on Earth has its credibility tainted by a monkey in office and a bunch of religious wingnuts getting all uppity.

The only possible limits to research should be nondenominational ethical concerns.

And you creationists...I'm sorry, I'm a tolerant guy, but I giggle when you post ;-)
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #73
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
--snip--It will be interesting to see who Mr. Cooney is hired by after his summer vacation.
It seems clear to me that he never stopped working for The American Petroleum Institute. Not a joke.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:31 AM   #74
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
--snip--It will be interesting to see who Mr. Cooney is hired by after his summer vacation.
And the answer is...:drumroll:ExxonMobil. It is worthy to note that he's been hired after a very short summer vacation with his family. All the same denials about his departure from the administration being unconnected to his tampering with scientific reports were repeated, but, quiet like. And then I also heard in the same story that the administration said that his edits didn't change anything.

This feels less like a hiring than it does a reassignment of duty station.

Last edited by BigV; 06-15-2005 at 09:36 AM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #75
warch
lurkin old school

http://salon.com/news/feature/2005/0...sal/index.html
Great article from Salon about mercury in childhood vaccines that has been clearly, statistically linked to autism. Government officials seem more interested in protecting pharaceutical companies than kids. culture of life and all.

Quote:
The drug companies are also getting help from powerful lawmakers in Washington. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, who has received $873,000 in contributions from the pharmaceutical industry, has been working to immunize vaccine makers from liability in 4,200 lawsuits that have been filed by the parents of injured children. On five separate occasions, Frist has tried to seal all of the government's vaccine-related documents -- including the Simpsonwood transcripts -- and shield Eli Lilly, the developer of thimerosal, from subpoenas. In 2002, the day after Frist quietly slipped a rider known as the "Eli Lilly Protection Act" into a homeland security bill, the company contributed $10,000 to his campaign and bought 5,000 copies of his book on bioterrorism. Congress repealed the measure in 2003 -- but earlier this year, Frist slipped another provision into an anti-terrorism bill that would deny compensation to children suffering from vaccine-related brain disorders. "The lawsuits are of such magnitude that they could put vaccine producers out of business and limit our capacity to deal with a biological attack by terrorists," says Andy Olsen, a legislative assistant to Frist.
Oh, and importing drugs from Canada is a risk...
At least take the shit off the market. Geeze. parents beware.
So far, 4 states have banned thimerosal. Lots of other states with legislation pending.

Last edited by warch; 06-16-2005 at 07:15 PM.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote