The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #736
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
pics or it never happened........
Our boat dock was next to his, so we had to walk down a little dirt path along the side of his yard to get there. Sorry no pics - Thought it might be a little rude to snap pics of my celeb neighbors. (Have some of Tommy Lee & Heather Locklear on their boat somewhere - will have to dig them up.)

And agreed on Too Wong Foo - terrific perfomances all around.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #737
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
Mary Travers from Peter, Paul & Mary passed away. I've been listening to her sing all my life. And I met her once at a Democratic fund raiser in NY a long time ago. Very nice and very intimidating.
Like an Amazon Queen but so kind. Rest in peace.
I can't let this one go by without adding my .02.

Mary Travers was not just a fine singer and socially conscious person. She was an icon for an entire generation of young women, women who had dreams and consciences of their own. Look at any pictures from the late to mid 60's and you will see hoardes of young ladies with streaming hair and formidable bangs, especially those who were doing the college campus coffee shop thing.

Mary stood out like a peppercorn on a glacier on any stage. Her voice was powerful and distinctive, yet never overbearing. Her obvious joy as she performed was infectious and stimulating. She may have gotten third billing, but for me, she was always first and foremost in that trio.

Our generation had Mary Travers. This generation has Kanye West. What a fucking pity.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #738
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

This generation has a lot more than just Kanye West. Every generation has its heroes and its dickheads :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:31 AM   #739
bagbee123

Of Course, it's Michael Jackson's death is one...

but for most Filipinos, like me, it is the death of our very first former lady President Corazon Cojuanco - Aquino that really bummed not only me, not only the whole archipelago of the Philippines but also the world who recognized her because of being the first woman president of our beloved country...

it's so sad we've lost a hero like her and her beloved husband, Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #740
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Hello Bagbee and
Old 09-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #741
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

William Safire
Old 09-30-2009, 04:48 AM   #742
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Breakfast TV was on yesterday morning as I was making my tea. I had my back to it. They cut to a clip from The News Huddlines.

ARGH! I thought, not Roy Hudd! Not another one gone too young.
Luckily by the time I turned round, there he was on the sofa (in the studio I mean) all balding and chubby and definitely alive.

He was promoting his autobiography.
June Whitfield's is out too.

Good on both of 'em.
Get them out while they still can
Old 10-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #743
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

RIP Stephen Gately - died yesterday at the age of 33. Cause yet unknown.
He was a member of the Irish boyband Boyzone. I can't say I was a fan of the band per se (ballads and sitting on stools not being my thing) but I acknowledged he had a talent. From the band he went on to work that was more my thing, for example Joseph, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, a Dr Who audio play.

What I admired more was the way he handled his personal life. Irish and in a boy band he still came out, and in fact in Boyzone's last video (for Better, although I had to look that up) a gay couple was included in the lovey-dovey soft focus shots. Not being dismissive - soft focus & lovey-dovey are boyband standards, a male couple is groundbreaking - Boyzone were nominated for a Stonewall Award for this reason (a LGBT charity and pressure group). Gately committed to Andrew Cowles in Las Vegas in 2003 and married in 2006.

Worth mentioning for the connection. Matt Lucas's ex Kevin McGee (32) hanged himself. It's only a connection, as I knew little about him - he was on the production side of showbiz - but it meant Matt Lucas had to pull out of Prick Up Your Ears (a play currently running in the Wesy End about Joe Orton) which I was kinda hoping to see. For those who don't know, Joe Orton was a playwrite who was bludgeoned to death by his lover Kenneth Halliwell and immediately committed suicide by overdose. Some of the same issues of one partner becoming far more successful and famous than the other appear to be a factor in both cases, so it obviously wasn't reasonable to expect Lucas to continue in the role. I can't mourn him myself, but the violent death of a young man is bound to affect people who knew him.

Last edited by Sundae; 10-11-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Sounded too flippant in original post
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #744
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I never heard of the band or the guy, but I did see the obit.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #745
Henry
King Of Oreos

Anna Nicole Smith

*sniff*
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #746
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I'll miss Bozo the clown too Henry.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #747
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Charlie Chaplin?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #748
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

RIP Soupy Sales
Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #749
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I was just thinking the other day when I was little and had a Poky Little Puppy Golden Book with a 45 (that's a small record, for you kiddies) of Soupy reading the book.

RIP Soupy!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #750
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

White Fang is sitting Shivah and won't be available for pie throwing for the next week.

Tags
sundae's got a gun.....