Old 03-08-2008, 07:09 AM   #78
Griff
still says videotape

Harry Potter's team captain.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #79
monster
I hear them call the tide

Essay Competition

Our 10yo 5th grader wrote this for an essay competition: How Can Recycling Help Stop Global Warming? (500-750 words)

I thought it was pretty cool, even when I read it as if it was written by someone else's offspring So I thought I'd share (Author asked for anonymity due to shyness, so no author name).

Essays become the property of Recycle Ann Arbor when submitted, but it hasn't been submitted yet, so I don't believe my posting it here breaks any rules or laws. Of course, I will ask for it to be removed if they object once it's theirs...

How Can Recycling Help Stop Global Warming?

Global warming is caused by excess heat getting trapped in the Earth’s atmosphere. Usually, most of the sun’s rays are reflected off the Earth and back into space. However, in the past few decades, harmful gases have been building up in the atmosphere. These gases act as a shield, preventing the rays from leaving the atmosphere. The heat is bounced back to the surface of the Earth, and as more heat gets trapped, the Earth grows warmer. This is called the Greenhouse Effect, because the gases work like the glass roof in a greenhouse.

The gas that causes the most trouble in the atmosphere is carbon dioxide. One of the main causes of the extra carbon dioxide is the emissions from vehicles. Also high on the list are factories, which produce a lot of carbon dioxide.

Another reason that we have extra carbon dioxide is that many trees are being cut down. Unlike humans, trees breathe in carbon dioxide and breathe out oxygen. (Humans breathe in oxygen and breathe out carbon dioxide.) With less trees around to absorb it, there is more carbon dioxide than ever.

It’s obvious that if we don’t do something, global warming will get out of hand. It’s also apparent that we can’t stop cutting down trees altogether, because we need paper. We also can’t shut down factories, because we need food and clothes and everything else that factories make. So what do we do? The answer is simple: recycle. By recycling, we can reuse the same raw materials over and over again. Factories will not have to produce so many products, and fewer trees will have to be chopped down.

There are two main ways to recycle. You can reuse an item again for the same purpose, or you can break it up and use the material to make something else. For example, if you have a used piece of paper, you could do two things; you could turn it over and use the other side for something else, or you could put it in the paper-recycling tote to be made into a new piece of paper. By doing either of these options, the piece of paper is recycled, saving trees.

Reusing is better than remanufacturing because it doesn’t use any energy at all, but things aren’t always reusable. The best option of all is to reuse an item until it can’t be reused anymore, and then send it to be remanufactured. Remanufacturing does not contribute nearly as much to global warming as regular manufacturing does. For example, if you recycle aluminum, it will take energy to melt it into a different shape. However, to make something from scratch, the aluminum has to be mined (using energy), transported by trucks to the factory (producing emissions), and then melted down and turned into something new.

To conclude, recycling -reusing and remanufacturing- can help stop global warming by reducing the amount of carbon dioxide and other harmful gases that we emit into the atmosphere. However, recycling only has a chance of working to stop global warming if more people do it.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #80
binky
all hollowed out

Wow. I was going to say that my 12 year old daughter just started riding a dirt bike, but it pales in comparison to that

Last edited by binky; 04-09-2008 at 09:36 PM.
binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #81
monster

She didn't even get a runner up place. Not sure what the judging criteria was...perhaps they just thought it was too good
Old 04-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #82
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It was well written, followed a logical pattern and was well expressed.
All I can assume is that they felt there were better essays re content, ie less about what global warming was and more about how recycling could help.

I'd be interested in seeing the winners though, because that blew me away, especially for a 10 year old. You should see some of the workshop evaluation forms we received in for the same age group!

What part of the activity did you enjoy the least?
The stappling becousse you prik
[next line]
you finnger

Last edited by Sundae; 04-10-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #83
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I've always found in essay contests like that, they're really looking for sappy, Readers' Digest kind of crap. Like, "Recycling is important because my dad died in Iraq."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #84
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Recycling is important because my dad died in Iraq.
I think you mean 9/11
Old 04-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #85
Flint
Snowflake

My sister was killed in the WTC on 9/11, while writing an essay about why recycling is important because our dad died in Iraq,

you insensitive bastards.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #86
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

sorry Flint - no "bold" allowed in essay contests.

FAIL
Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #87
monster

You gits! My mother was accidentally recycled on 9/11.

Here are the winning essays if you are truly interested, SG. http://www.recycleannarbor.org/ It's hard to judge stuff like this at this age because they're all so far from "perfect".

I like to think that the fact that I took them to task over one of the rules being US citizenship has nothing to do with the results

Seriously, though, she didn't enter to win, she entered mostly because we both thought it was unfair she was excluded on grounds of nationailty, so they changed the rules to allow her to enter Also the practice she got helped her score a perfect 25 in her report on Benjamin Franklin last month, and she's already all revised for the Science olympiad pentathlon questions which are based on An Inconvenient Truth. So it's win win. And it's an awesome essay and I'm proud of her.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:19 AM   #88
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Monster that's rubbish. That essay needs to be recycled.

I don't care if the kid's 10, he uses far too many exclamation marks for a serious essay. His style is too effusive for journalism - what was this - future writers of the National Enquirer Essay Competition? Also he can't tell the difference between to and too. And he spelled aluminium wrong

She was robbed.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #89
monster

thanks. I mean Thanks! There's a reason! A reason Lol Cats! Have so many exclamation marks !!!!111!11!!
Old 04-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #90
binky
all hollowed out

My 6th grader (first year music student) just played a solo on her euphonium(sort of a slightly smaller tuba) and was judged by 3 judges from the Southern California School band and Orchestra Association and was awarded a Superior, the highest rank they can award!!

Tags
fencing, sports