The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 06-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #76
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Ya know, Sundae Girls' parents could give you a few pointers for dealing with that situation.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #77
busterb
NSABFD

Monster. I'm up, if they pass this way.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #78
monster
I hear them call the tide

I believe they're afraid of The South....
Old 06-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #79
monster
I hear them call the tide

It's been 3 days.... maybe they're stuck in the Arch? Sycamore! Send out a search and Rescue party! don't forget to check under the vats at the Bud factory....
Old 06-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #80
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Good thing the Bud factory aint in the south.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:37 AM   #81
diminished
Why Aye,Man!

Yeah,we've had a bit of 'Misery in Missouri'.I wasnt feeling well a couple of days ago and Persistence took charge of the navigation for a night,planning our route through that state.
Not to impugn her abilities (its a long walk home!),but we ended up in SW Missouri,at Branson.I'll apologise to anyone in advance who may be from there,or has family there,or if their dog has bitten someone from there...I'm not taking a pop at them,its all in good fun
If I was rattled by Wisconsin Dells,Branson definately gave me 'the fear'.Its like Hillbilly Las Vegas.Thats an unfair comment,actually,as I havent been to Vegas yet.Missouri is an otherwise delightful state,green and lush,but Branson seems like an infection (its expanding too,heavy-plant machinery happily chomps away at the hills that surround it,making room for more motels and theaters)...it must be something of a Mecca for Country and Western fans,which in itself isnt bad (tho not to my taste)....ageing Stars perform alongside the revenants of Stars long-dead.I thought I could take it,but I soon started pounding my head on the passenger window in an attempt to knock myself out (having finished the whiskey last night).The faces of Acts unknown outside of America start gurning down from billboards some 50 miles outside of town,and they vie each other for frequency as the distance to town decreases.Scary stuff.
I shouldnt really have a pop at them,as I didnt stay long enough in town to investigate them thoroughly enough,they may well have been quite entertaining.Its 'Family Fun' on an industrial scale,terrifying in magnitude.I'm glad I visited tbh,I would not have believed such a place existed had I not witnessed it myself.
We panicked,snapping photos from the car drive-by fashion at the things we'd come to see,and fled,thoroughly disturbed.Tensions rose as the SatNav became confused at the ever-changing layout of the roads,and escape seemed unlikely,until I guessed at a road and got lucky.
Running aimlessly,we scuttled past Springfield,making it to Joplin.I didnt fancy the motel there much,it was painted the same shade of lurid yellow that we'd witnessed earlier,and we were afraid of the possibility of flash-backs.I've dragged us about another 50 miles north to somewhere semi-sane,near the Kansas border,and we've spent the evening planning our path across there.And watching Disney's 'Up',which is actually a very good movie for young and old alike.

Forgive me Branson,you'll live with for a long time.You and I are at odds on what qualifies as entertainment,you represent what my home town aspires to be.May it never come to pass,and may you remain...maginificent?
They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things.They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning ...They overdo everything - they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else.
Aristotle circa 350 BC
diminished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #82
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well there's the Dog Bark up north.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #83
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Oh yes, Branson is very weird. As a general rule, old people think it is the best place to vacation ever.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #84
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

During the Christmas season it's nice. I had a horse drawn sleigh ride to see the deco one year quite a while back. Very old fashioned and indicative of what the season is in my mind. Peaceful and nostalgic.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #85
diminished
Why Aye,Man!

Just been outside for the last 2 hours admiring an excellent electrical storm over Junction City,Kansas....tried to get a few shots of the lightning with mixed success.Free entertainments always are best
They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things.They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning ...They overdo everything - they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else.
Aristotle circa 350 BC
Old 06-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #86
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's hard to beat the heartland/southwest for spectacular thunderstorm watching. Sometimes you can see them coming at you for half a day before you're in it.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #87
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

You can come to NM and meet me in Taos. There is a tiny museum there with a stuffed 8 legged lamb. The museum is a a dedication to the "Bent" massacre. I am not really sure if it is commemorated to remind the gringos not to get out of line, or if people really did feel bad for the situation....Interesting town.....

There is also a graveyard where they don't bury their dead very well, and not very deep, in the middle of the city. The groundhogs dig holes right into the graves and come out another side with fresh dead. This creates ventilation for the smell of death that they try and cover up by planting large amounts of lilacs. So you pretty much smell corpses and lilacs. I enjoy it because I am creepy. People still love to be buried there so I guess they enjoy it too. It is the strangest graveyard I think i have ever seen. The cultural influences are spanish, mexican, native american, and of course whities. Some are buried really shallow so there are mounds. Then you see a hole dug that goes straight into the mound. lol! They also leave objects indicating things the person enjoyed, as most likely- a year round celebration of the "days of the dead". It's very festive with plastic flowers and random stuff everywhere. It's actually one of my favorite places. lol!

Yes. I am creepy. I like strange stuff. lol!!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #88
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

That's gotta be a health violation.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #89
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

If not a felony.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #90
diminished
Why Aye,Man!

Persistence and I both worked in kitchens for many many years,we're familiar with Health Violations and Felonies.That Cemetary sounds like good entertainment to me,She's mulling it over tho.That usually means 'no',until I get her good and drunk.
Aristotle circa 350 BC

Last edited by diminished; 06-07-2009 at 10:34 PM.