The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-25-2006, 12:10 AM   #76
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon
Are you waiting for me to reveal myself to be a Fundamentalist Christian? Ain't gonna happen, pal. I'm not a Christian. You certainly have a fetish for cubbyholing anyone who disagrees with you into convenient stereotypes. People can actually hold moral views that have nothing to do with religion.
OK, then it's not a religious belief, it just happens to be indistinguishable from what fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist Muslims believe.

It's your own personal, independantly-held secular belief--an opinion--which still gives it no standing that would support your use of the government to impose it on others.
Quote:
Seven year olds shouldn't be exposed to homosexual propaganda. It's really that simple.
"Man can love men and women can love women" isn't propaganda, it's just fact--supportable by direct observation of the world and the people in it.

Your claim that it's "immoral" or "indecent" is still arbitrary and without support other than your own copious "it's that simple" and "everybody knows" handwaving about how obvious it is.

You're still talking in circles. You might benefit from a review of fallacies of argumentation that are common and obvious enough to have already been given names. Try this one for example.

Last edited by MaggieL; 04-25-2006 at 12:19 AM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:34 AM   #77
Ibby
erika

I declare that all mention of anything involving violence or malicious intent should be removed from all schools. I can't have my (potential) children exposed to the thought of someone wanting to hurt someone else! History may no longer make any mention of wars, assassinations, fights, or anything. It's just not decent for my child to know people kill other people! (/mockery)
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:39 AM   #78
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
For the second time, this is not true. Feel free to quote me to the contrary.
Simple human decency is when one answers questions in a discussion group. You did not even define "this". Which of so many possible "this" are you refering to?

Simple questions that an honest man has no problem answering because honest men understand simple human decency:

First legal marriage requirements. Are you saying that laws should make no distinction between same sex and opposite sex marriages? And obviously why or why not?

Second, religion. You stated that sacraments should be denied to same sex marriages. Is that correct (of course, reasons why are included)?

Third, education. You insist that children should never even be told that homosexual couples exist? It is simple human decency to not lie. Therefore will can defined simple human decency quantitatively with numbers or examples.

Meanwhile, Denny Crane (William Shatner) and Alan Short (James Spader) in Boston legal demonstrate strong love between two men. You would call those characters indecent and despicable?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:05 AM   #79
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
I agree with Happy Monkey and Torrere, please explain how showing and telling about love between two men are indecent and despicable, but showing and telling about love between a man and a woman is fine and dandy.

For that matter, explain how showing love between two men is worse than showing hatred between anybody.
Let's see. Love between a man and a woman is normal. Love between two men is...Abby something.
Jordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:30 AM   #80
Ibby
erika

So are you prejudiced againt everything that isn't normal, or just certain things?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:38 AM   #81
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Obviously Jordon's learned his debating chops in other, easier fora where everyone agrees with him. :-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #82
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Let's see. Love between a man and a woman is normal.
So what? The question was why is one less decent, not whether one is more common.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:07 AM   #83
Munchkin
Colloquialist

*sigh* I love trolls.
Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:21 AM   #84
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
You might benefit from a review of fallacies of argumentation that are common and obvious enough to have already been given names. Try this one for example.
Just because you can use what you learned on the High School debate team to prove that your clit is a dick, doesn't make it true, even if it makes you smug in your delusion.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:29 AM   #85
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
You stated that sacraments should be denied to same sex marriages. Is that correct (of course, reasons why are included)?
There's no point in even trying to debate when you openly lie. For the THIRD TIME, I never said that. Read the thread again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
You insist that children should never even be told that homosexual couples exist?
Again, I never said that. I said that seven year olds should not be exposed to it. You are so eager to portray yourself as a victim, you are fabricating imaginary arguments to fit your agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Meanwhile, Denny Crane (William Shatner) and Alan Short (James Spader) in Boston legal demonstrate strong love between two men. You would call those characters indecent and despicable?
I haven't seen that show, but then we arent' talking about brotherly love, are we? We're talking about homosexuality.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:34 AM   #86
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
You insist that children should never even be told that homosexual couples exist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordon
I never said that. I said that seven year olds should not be exposed to it.
?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:45 AM   #87
Ibby
erika

Jordon, for the third (or is it fourth?) time, please answer me LOGICALLY and REASONABLY.
Quote:
I agree with Happy Monkey and Torrere, please explain how showing and telling about love between two men are indecent and despicable, but showing and telling about love between a man and a woman is fine and dandy.

For that matter, explain how showing love between two men is worse than showing hatred between anybody.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:51 AM   #88
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
Jordon, for the third (or is it fourth?) time, please answer me LOGICALLY and REASONABLY.
Seven. Year. Olds. Do. Not. Need. To. Know. About. Homosexuality.

"Despicable" is your word. I never said it.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:17 AM   #89
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Extra. Periods. Don't. Substitute. For. A. Reason.

Seven year olds don't need to know about heterosexuality either, which is why nobody has sex in fairy tales. Why would two men not having sex be worse than a man and a woman not having sex?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #90
glatt

Quote:
Seven. Year. Olds. Do. Not. Need. To. Know. About. Homosexuality.
My 6 year old daughter has a classmate with a lesbian mother. The kids are in Brownies together and the mom is one of the leaders. The mom and her partner are both very nice and are great with kids. My daughter just thinks her friend has two moms. She seems to not even notice that their family is different from ours. She's not thinking "well, I know my Dad puts his penis inside my Mom, so what do these two moms do for fun?" She's just playing with her friend.

I would say that kids younger than 7 need to know about all the different types of families out there. Doesn't mean they have to learn all the sexual stuff. It's about love. Not sex.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote