The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #76
Tiki

It sure as fuck is, and not a great one either.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #77
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

oh.....and isn't Undertoad an introvert?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #78
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I subscribe to this "take what you have to work with and find a way to make it work" philosophy over the "change yourself to suit the world" approach. That being said, I have to be careful to make the same allowances for others, i.e. reminding myself it's just "their way" etc. ... Especially my wife, because we spend so much time together and work so closely on so many important things. That being said, this is easier because we have many of the same issues, and that makes it easier to empathize.

I don't know what I would do if I had a morning chatterer. Yes I do. My wife used to drive me to work, and she tried to chatter at me. I told her to shut up. She complained that I wake up in a good mood, but then my personailty goes back to sleep. I think it's more of a "gathering my strength for the coming day by looking inward for a few quiet moments" thing.

By the way, our daughter is exatly the same way. Be it nature or nurture, the offspring pick up our little quirks. I don't try to worry too much about our kids getting messed up in the head because we're so cuckoo--because I know it's inevitable. They'll absorb it by osmosis even if we try to force our behavior to change. About the only thing we can do is work on genuinely improving ourselves.

That is, if improvement is warranted. For the most part, I think I am more effective by embracing my irregularities.

Maybe that's what we need to teach them.

How's that for post drift?
I like that. I like it a lot, actually.

I think that changing to suit my environment, or trying to, would have killed me long before now. But by working with what I have I've been able to parlay my nature into a life that is good and productive.

I know I find it difficult to live with people, although I have been told I'm easy to live with. I'm not territorial about my things. I have many pets and am a bit messy and fairly relaxed about everything except my workspace, which is the one area I'm having a hard time defending right now.

My ex used to chatter at me, and I told him that I really need quiet time in the morning to prepare for my workday. He didn't like that, but he accepted it. My housemate, I think, also accepts it, but she also forgets, and I think her idea of "quiet" is different from mine. I also don't think she is able to process that when I'm sitting in front of my computer in the morning, I'm either working or gearing up to work, and it's not social time. My morning starts about two hours before hers... by the time she gets up, I've taken the kids to school and gone to the grocery store. Then I'm ready to start my workday. Maybe, too, she has no trouble focusing on work when people are talking to her. I do. If I were able to change that aspect of myself, I would have long ago.

What I need to do is move my office upstairs. Unfortunately, the room it could go in needs (and I mean requires, not desires) some heavy renovation before it's usable as an office space. It's basically unfinished attic space, and I don't have the money for materials, so it waits.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #79
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
oh.....and isn't Undertoad an introvert?
I'm sure he could change to suit the people around him, if he wanted to.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #80
Flint
Snowflake

In radio studios they have an "ON AIR" light to alert people to be QUIET ON THE SET (or at least it's this way on TV). I think, maybe it's difficult to recognize the boundaries of a non-traditional workspace, unless you're not the person sitting there gearing your head up for WORK mode. I would think, however that this could be communicated somehow...

UNLESS THAT'S TOO HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND, YOU PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE WEIRDO BITCH.

Am I doing this right?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #81
jinx
Come on, cat.

I'd say aggresive-aggressive (which I personally prefer to passive), but other than that, bravo.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #82
Nirvana
Back in 10

I know this sets womankind back to caveman times but somehow when someone is overreacting I just can't help thinking they need Midol.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #83
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
In radio studios they have an "ON AIR" light to alert people to be QUIET ON THE SET (or at least it's this way on TV). I think, maybe it's difficult to recognize the boundaries of a non-traditional workspace, unless you're not the person sitting there gearing your head up for WORK mode. I would think, however that this could be communicated somehow...

UNLESS THAT'S TOO HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND, YOU PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE WEIRDO BITCH.

Am I doing this right?
I think you're on it!

I have tried a few methods of conveying "I AM WORKING NOW" and I have also told her that I want her not to play with the dogs in my office because it's my workspace and it needs to be clean and quiet, and that she must not talk to me when I'm doing shipping or answering emails because if I am distracted I am likely to make a mistake.

She seems to forget, so maybe I need to come up with some visual way of reminding her. It gets tiresome to have to constantly say "Hey housemate, I'm trying to work now, OK?"

Her ex-boyfriend, who is one of my best friends, says that when they were together she was terrible about this... it's like she just can't help it. I kind of think that it won't get better until I am able to move my office to a room that has a door I can close. And lock. A soundproof door... she tends to try to shout from other rooms, and from up or down stairs, so that I have to stop what I'm doing and go open the door or stand by the staircase and say "What?" in case it's important, only it's almost always something utterly meaningless and absurd, like "Kittycat says he was really looking forward go going tie-shopping today, only it turns out the tie shop is closed".
Old 04-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #84
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

sounds like you live with Phoebe from Friends......and you're that mean brunette
Old 04-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #85
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
I know this sets womankind back to caveman times but somehow when someone is overreacting I just can't help thinking they need Midol.

A: that's retarded
B: wrong time of month
C: you'll know overreacting when you see it. This is not it.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #86
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
C: you'll know overreacting when you see it. This is not it.
C
Old 04-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #87
Nirvana
Back in 10

There is a 7 day difference from last month's meltdown...
Old 04-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #88
Tiki

Quote:
sounds like you live with Phoebe from Friends......and you're that mean brunette

If I were mean, I simply would have made her cry by now, instead of posting about my frustrations on an internet forum full of strangers in order to make certain my irritation doesn't get back to her and hurt her feelings.

Also, the way I type is the way I talk, but for some reason it just never comes across in person. I could say "Listen housemate, your incessant morning chatter is making me want to stab you to death, I need to work and I can't get shit done with your mouth running with constant nonsense; can you shut the fuck up and leave me alone?" and I swear to god she would just giggle and make a joke about how she's driving me to murder, go away for five minutes, and then come back and do it some more. And then if I say "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" she'll go "OH I forgot!" and skip away. And then come back and do it again the next time a thought pops into her head.

I think it's something about the delivery. I can't seem to get enough MEAN into my voice.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #89
Tiki

Quote:
That was a trivial overreaction. Go to PD.com and see if you can find any of the really good ones. They span multiple threads, and include graphics.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #90
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
I think it's something about the delivery. I can't seem to get enough MEAN into my voice.
It seems to be working for you here ...